Clutch issues

Crashedkiwi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
HI there all,

Can I please have some more of your excelent advice? I’m reassembling my xs650, (’80 Oceania engine Build series) and I‘m clearly not getting something right with the clutch reassembly. I’ve a two piece clutch rod setup, all parts in good condition. I install the clutch actuator in this order, mushroom head actuator, ball bearing, long rod, ball bearing, shorter rod. The ball bearings are 8mm in dia. The shorter rod with the turned step is therefore extending from the oil seal out of the crankcase with the turned, stepped end mating into the actuating worm mounted on the L/H case. The issue is that when I assemble the casing, the overall length of this assembly seems too long as the only way to get a working ( but quite heavy lever pull) is to back the adjuster right out, which does not allow cap to be installed.

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?
Cheers

Is the dimple on the clutch basket visible through the hole on the outer clutch plate? It’s the alignment step. Did you do that?

Last edited:
2 balls inside the worm?
using a gasket on that LH cover? It's needed.
The arm clocked correctly?
1673529098251.png

clutch hole.jpg

I suppose it's possible someone has installed some wrong parts (pushrods). The short outer pushrod should be about 85mm long, the longer inner one about 150mm long. The mushroom head actuator is about 35mm long. If assembled correctly with the right amount of balls in place, the pushrod will stick out of the case about 48 to 49mm .....

OutsideLength.jpg

I suppose it's possible someone has installed some wrong parts (pushrods). The short outer pushrod should be about 85mm long, the longer inner one about 150mm long. The mushroom head actuator is about 35mm long. If assembled correctly with the right amount of balls in place, the pushrod will stick out of the case about 48 to 49mm .....

View attachment 233660
Thanks I‘ll check that

View attachment 233660
Ok - I've checked this length and I make it 58mm casing to end of shaft. I'll drop the clutch casing off and measure all the rods - I know the bearing dia and nominal length of the longest rod, but not the length of the mushroom head and the length of the short rod. I somehow suspect the engine is a "Bitser"; I brought the bike as an unfinished project and a box of parts. The engine while complete, had not run and came with another set of crankcases - I suspect one motor was made from two. I've torn the motor down and rebuilt it - the first time inside on of these, hence the rather steep learning curve. If there is any other area I should look at please let me know. I greatly appreciate receiving the collective wisdom of the group.

2 balls inside the worm?
using a gasket on that LH cover? It's needed.
The arm clocked correctly?
View attachment 233651

View attachment 233648
thanks; Yes gasket used and my actuator position matches the one in the image. I'm confident that the dimple is aligned as I identified this from another post. I'm tearing it down again to check lengths of the actuating rods so will double, double check. Appreciated.

Havent read the full thread but did you fall into the trap of using the manual? Almost everyone knows that one item in the stack is missing from the diagram. I can’t recall if it’s a plate, bearing, washer or what. That might be the reason the three balls were there.

Back