Clutch Push-Rod Assistance Please!!!

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure a lot of you are familiar with my hydraulic clutch slave cylinder thread. I’m refining the design before initiating a production run and I need a little help.

I know I should of recorded this data myself before disassembling my engine but I got carried away!

I could really use an accurate measurement of how far the push-rod protrudes from the casing, before pressure is applied, so in it’s ‘at rest’ position. Does this make sense?

Any help anyone can offer would be immensely appreciated as I’m kicking myself that I didn’t do this myself when I had the chance!

Daniel.

Last edited:
Measured a few yrs ago.... Placed a straight edge on the cases and measured to the seal. Subtract the straight edge and came up with 1.85"

zxv.jpg

Ooops. Just reread your ask. That isn't what you're looking for Daniel. Hang on... I'll get it right yet. :rolleyes:

3F42AAD1-D24E-4D7D-9CE8-FD54E2F6E043.jpeg

Cheers Jim, I need to know the distance the push-rod ends up so I can and take up any play before my piston begins to apply pressure and operate the clutch, does that make sense?

Daniel.

OK.... just measured. from the cases, immediately adjacent to the seal, out to the end of the pushrod is 46.83mm on the engine I just measured. Of course, there will be variations motor to motor because of clutch wear, but that should get you close.

Here's the one on my '83. It's about 48mm but my ruler is resting on the seal lip, so it may be closer to 49mm off the case .....

90OyJiF.jpg

As Jim said, it can probably vary a little bit. I have a N.O.S. long pushrod installed here. The 2 piece w/ ball may differ slightly.

OK Daniel.... I screwed up again. I measured from the seal and then subtracted the seal to case difference... shoulda' added that :doh:
Here's the raw numbers...
Tip of pushrod to seal face= 47.66mm
Seal face to cases= .83mm
Add the two and it's 48.49 tip of rod to cases. Think I'll jus' go back to bed now....:rolleyes:

Thank you so much @Jim & @5twins!

I think if I take the measurement at 48.50 then half a mm is an acceptable amount of room to take up before the piston begins to apply pressure to the push-rod upon it’s course.

Thanks again guys, it’s amazing to know I can always rely on this forum to provide help where needed, long may it reign supreme!

This should allow me to further refine a design that has becoming increasingly more complex as I’ve progressed. Onwards & upwards though!

Daniel.

In my notebook, I have 48 to 49mm written down as the distance that the pushrod sticks out. I think I arrived at that partly from my own measurements and partly from what others reported here.

In my notebook, I have 48 to 49mm written down as the distance that the pushrod sticks out. I think I arrived at that partly from my own measurements and partly from what others reported here.

It seems sensible to meet in the middle then I think, I’m going to go with 48.50. @5twins

Last edited:
Back