Clutch Rebuild/Adjustment Question

LIVINtheLIFE

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
First off I’d like to say I know the clutch adjustment has been beat to death, that’s not the purpose of this post so bare with me. I’m restoring a 650D. I’ve got all new controls, cables, changed to the 1-piece clutch push rod, etc. Bike runs great, it shifts through all the gears great, the clutch worm gear and cable at the perch are adjusted properly but I still can’t find neutral while the bike is running, hot or cold. I have to reach down with my throttle hand and actually pull hard to get to neutral from first at a stop, but while riding/rolling and when bike is off I can find all gears and neutral fine. With little research I’ve come to the conclusion it could be the needle bearing/thrust washer worn. The bike only has 14,000 original kilometres, it’s been stored most of its life, so I don’t think spending the money on a complete overhaul is necessary. But in saying that while I’ve got the side cover off and it apart to replace the bearing, what else should I replace or update while I’m in there? I’ve never had one of these clutches apart but I don’t wanna miss anything in terms of parts or tools needed in my order. I’d rather do it once and do it right. Thanks.

I changed the bearing on one of mine. It made absolutely no difference. I suppose it could help if your original is shot, guess mine wasn't.

Your issue is a common one. I have it to a certain extent on both of mine, even with all the tweaks and little "upgrades" I've done. It seems to be one of this bike's little "quirks" and I've pretty much just learned to live with it. I've trained myself to pop it into neutral before the bike stops rolling.

I need to do an oil change and some other stuff anyways, I would just “manage” with it, but I’m restoring this bike for a my wife’s first beginner bike, I bought it when I was 16 and I’ve kept the bike ever since then so it’s cheaper and easier to ride this bike for a few years rather then buying a different beginner bike. Not to mention it’s a cool bike to keep and hold onto. I just want to get it in the best running condition I can for her and years to come until she upgrades, so far everything has been going great other then the clutch issue.

Good idea to replace needle bearing with the modern one which has many more needle rollers in it, also make sure the index marks on the basket and pressure plate ar in line on re-assembly, i had this on my present 650 and no amount of adjustment and fiddling would remedy it, so i took the pressure plate off again and checked it for run out and it was a good way off flat, so i faced it up on my lathe, put it all back together and voila, cured, personally i think there was no quality control at yamaha for these bikes hence the variation in clutch problems.

I believe it is this one he is referring to. I put the modern one in, as seen in the middle of the photo, on the paper towel, and I still have issues finding neutral sometimes. Like 5T, I usually click the bike into neutral while I'm rolling to a stop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210313-072537_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-072537_Gallery.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 153
I have a 77D also, and even though I have rebuilt the entire clutch assembly with new parts and upgraded bearings. Hitting neutral is not too bad before it gets hot, but requires some finessing when it gets hot. I either hit it while rolling just before coming to a stop or if I’m already stopped, I have to feather the clutch while I keep jabbing at the shift lever. It sometimes takes a few tries.

ECA1E954-ABC2-49C1-B43F-A22797AD506E.png

Not sure I am good enough at English

First off I’d like to say I know the clutch adjustment has been beat to death
all the gears great, the clutch worm gear and cable at the perch are adjusted properly

If it is gear shifting problem of course it can be an adjustment issue.
If you have a central stand put it on that . Start the engine shift into 1 st gear release the clutch
so the wheel spin in the air.
Pull in the clutch and try to stop the wheel with the foot against the side of the Tire
If that is impossible or difficult adjust the clutch and do it over again.
Find something that is acceptable but not to loose so the clutch slips.
See if that helps.
At warm weather it can be difficult to find neutral.

Back