Clutch 'seized' or 'stuck'

Thursty

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Don't watch the video before reading this. Hoping that I didn't miss any important details. However, if I did, I'll be sure to mention such details when questioned.

Well, for those of you who followed my last post in regards to my bike, I'm on to the next problem. A problem that I didn't think would be a problem... My clutch... When I first got the bike, the clutch lever was near impossible to pull. I was not surprised, as the bike hasn't ran in 40 years (up until I got it started a couple of weeks ago đź‘Ť). First thing I tried in regards to the clutch, is buy a new cable. Cable arrived, installed it, still stuck. I then removed the little clutch adjuster cover on the left hand engine cover, cleaned, and adjusted my clutch according to the book, and videos I had watched. Still stuck. I then removed the left engine cover, to see if I could pull the clutch lever while the left-side clutch assembly is separated from the rest. Yup, moves freely! Smooth as butter! I then moved onto the right-side. I removed the engine cover, and proceeded to remove my pressure plate, along with the friction plates and clutch plates. The friction and clutch plates seemed to be sort of suction-cupped together, but overall not too stuck. I removed them all in order, and then put them back just how I had found them. At this point, with visual on the clutch pushrod assembly, I pulled my clutch lever to see if things moved freely. Yup, rods seem to move freely! Surely the plates were just stuck together? I reassembled things, buttoned it all up, and nope. no movement. Like, at all. At one point I pulled the clutch lever so hard that I bent the adjuster screws located at the lever (I was frustrated, ok). I now have things pulled apart again. Sure enough, same as before, I isolated the left side assembly from the rest, and it moves good. Pushrods move freely back and forth, and I'm just not sure what to do now... Any tips?

Turn the clutch mechanism 1 more notch anti-clockwise as it's rotated too far. Is there a ball bearing inside there where the small end of the pushrod goes?

Turn the clutch mechanism 1 more notch anti-clockwise as it's rotated too far. Is there a ball bearing inside there where the small end of the pushrod goes?
What part do you refer to as the 'clutch mechanism'?

Posted FWIW so ya'll can be on the same page: 75-76 model
yamaha-xs650-1975-usa-clutch-tx650axs650bc_bigyau0774d-5_bd45.gif

The spiral actuator that the cable hooks on to.
I believe the book refers to it as the push lever assembly? Also, what do you mean by anti-clockwise, and what do you mean by '1 more notch'? You will have to be more specific brother, as anti clockwise could mean a variety of things depending on how the engine cover is oriented in relation to the person working on the bike. If we are thinking about the same part, it is adjusted via an 'adjusting screw' from the outer side of the engine cover. So 'one notch' doesn't tell me much. Unless I am thinking of the wrong part? Or unless you mean I need to remove the push lever assembly and rotate it? Again, I can access the adjusting screw no problem with my 12mm wrench from the outside of the cover, and the actuator (push lever assembly) does push the pushrod no problem. Also to answer your other question, yes, there is a ball bearing located between the short right side pushrod and the longer left side pushrod. Also, by 'right side' I mean the right side from the perspective of the driver sitting on the seat facing forward. Thanks.

Part # 22 is referred to as the 'push lever assembly'. That is the same diagram as shown in one of my books.

In your video @ 1 minute 33 seconds it shows the push lever is too close to where the cable goes into the cover. You should remove & turn it 1 more notch in the spiral to the left. That should give the required starting point for the pushrod travel.

In your video @ 1 minute 33 seconds it shows the push lever is too close to where the cable goes into the cover. You should remove & turn it 1 more notch in the spiral to the left. That should give the required starting point for the pushrod travel.
Copy. Will go adjust and take a video.

I just dont really understand how adjusting that would affect the results I'm finding when the whole assembly is put together? As i said, When things are assembled, the clutch lever feels 'stuck' or 'seized', but nothing in the assembly seems that way. Adjusting the push lever assembly anti-clockwise would in turn push the rod even further, which would make sense if I couldn't get the clutch lever to actuate the clutch. But in my circumstance, I can't get anything to even move via the clutch lever, when assembled.

I'm pretty sure that's the adjuster screw? I can go look tomorrow to make sure, but I'm pretty sure its the adjuster screw, and I'm pretty sure that's what's supposed to be there. Again, the pushrod assembly seems to work. It is only when the pressure plate is installed, it acts 'seized'. I'm new to this though, so I'm only basing things off of my very novice observations.

Note one end of the push rod is necked down, this end must face out, it fit's inside the worm to contact the ball bearing hiding inside.
you can see the reduced rod end diameter in this photo.

Attachments

• Under LH cover.JPG
    Under LH cover.JPG
    914 KB · Views: 106
The dot must be visible in the hole.
clutch-sequence-jpg.108565

Ball bearing. Originally, 8mm. But, 5/16" works quite well...
the bearing was held inside the worm by staked tabs but it can fall out when the cover is removed after lots of miles, wear.

Back