Color matching blue

Does it match close enough?

• Yea

• Naa

Results are only viewable after voting.

Runninlean

Model citizen, zero discipline
Reaction score
I am restoring a 76 xs650 (12/75 stamp). I’d like to paint it blue as the Og option. The bike was painted purple at some point in the 80’s ( not by me). I have a friend who says he can power coat it for me but only uses prismatic powder thru his work. Just looking for thoughts on this. Does the stock paint carry a flake in it?

Attachments

• 0A07777A-92A5-4B01-AFE0-77455744A6C8.png
    0A07777A-92A5-4B01-AFE0-77455744A6C8.png
    869 KB · Views: 176
  • E8F1FD1C-5567-428C-97FF-13A6F92875C9.png
    E8F1FD1C-5567-428C-97FF-13A6F92875C9.png
    356.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 57358CB9-BAE3-4A10-8572-4D8C4B8F7B9F.png
    57358CB9-BAE3-4A10-8572-4D8C4B8F7B9F.png
    869 KB · Views: 208
  • 8A7E3C9B-5F64-4FD3-9902-469EFB41DF1B.png
    8A7E3C9B-5F64-4FD3-9902-469EFB41DF1B.png
    601.4 KB · Views: 166
I am restoring a 76 xs650 (12/75 stamp). I’d like to paint it blue as the Og option. The bike was painted purple at some point in the 80’s ( not by me). I have a friend who says he can power coat it for me but only uses prismatic powder thru his work. Just looking for thoughts on this. Does the stock paint carry a flake in it?

I had a ‘76 back when it was new, and no the original color was not metallic. But I say , it’s your bike, make it what ever color makes you happy! I personally think powder coating is a nice way to go.

1D9F686F-BF9D-4DD8-ACFD-19B6EB651BF7.jpeg
I’ve had 2 76s both of which are slightly different.

one has the tank repainted but matches the side covers which are original.

I ales have a 75 rd200 in the same French blue which is also slightly different.

I think if your close, your good.

no metallic.

200 is slightly darker than the 650.

I opted for powder on my ‘74 rebuild (bunch of pics of this on my build thread here). IMO you can get really nice results with powder. I also don’t think paint intrinsically gives you a better chance of a color match than powder since both require someone’s best guess to approximate it. Lots of pros/cons but the one thing you’ll have to sort out w powder is how to deal with the decals. For what it’s worth, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how robust naked vinyl decals on top of my powder has been in the first season of my rebuild.

I prefer paint because I can do it myself. That said, and from the many pictures, SomervilleXS650's powder coat job is the best I've ever seen. The Cinnamon Brown is a tough match and his is close. The overall finish looks excellent and is very impressive. You should check it out !

View attachment 180436 I’ve had 2 76s both of which are slightly different.

I ales have a 75 rd200 in the same French blue which is also slightly different.

no metallic.

200 is slightly darker than the 650.[/QUO
I opted for powder on my ‘74 rebuild (bunch of pics of this on my build thread here). IMO you can get really nice results with powder. I also don’t think paint intrinsically gives you a better chance of a color match than powder since both require someone’s best guess to approximate it. Lots of pros/cons but the one thing you’ll have to sort out w powder is how to deal with the decals. For what it’s worth, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how robust naked vinyl decals on top of my powder has been in the first season of my rebuil
I opted for powder on my ‘74 rebuild (bunch of pics of this on my build thread here). IMO you can get really nice results with powder. I also don’t think paint intrinsically gives you a better chance of a color match than powder since both require someone’s best guess to approximate it. Lots of pros/cons but the one thing you’ll have to sort out w powder is how to deal with the decals. For what it’s worth, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how robust naked vinyl decals on top of my powder has been in the first season of my rebuild.
Yeah I found the decals online. My old Honda’s have the dec
your results with powder are inspiring! I don’t mind the decals out side the paint like you have done. I have several bikes and this would be rode only a handful of times a year. Thanks for the link!

View attachment 180436 I’ve had 2 76s both of which are slightly different.

no metallic.

200 is slightly darker than the 650.
Yeah I think the one I have chose is a good blend of both of those

Thanks fellas, appreciate the kind words. My bike is my only bike, and I put 2500 miles on it this summer and the vinyl is still looking good. I think there are some good repros available, not sure if they'll hold up the same way though, I made my own via a friend. But even the striping on the side of the tank, which is white vinyl over black vinyl, where my legs would rub the most, seems to look as good as hte day I put it on.

What may have helped my result was that it was color coat AND a clear coat, which probably helps to emulate the luster of paint a bit better. Only regret is I wish I buffed it out before applying the decals, but to be honest my powder guy did such a great job, there was no orange peel or any sort of texture...so I got away without it. I could always do it now.... But it's sort of like refinishing floors or painting your house....100x easier if you can do it before you move in (or put the decals on, in this case).

Yeah I think the one I have chose is a good blend of both of those

I think that choice is great, by the way. Prismatic will send you sample coupons for free, and they come fast. I recommend seeing it in person. You can see some of those coupons and close up of the results on my sidecovers here

Thanks fellas, appreciate the kind words. My bike is my only bike, and I put 2500 miles on it this summer and the vinyl is still looking good. I think there are some good repros available, not sure if they'll hold up the same way though, I made my own via a friend. But even the striping on the side of the tank, which is white vinyl over black vinyl, where my legs would rub the most, seems to look as good as hte day I put it on.

What may have helped my result was that it was color coat AND a clear coat, which probably helps to emulate the luster of paint a bit better. Only regret is I wish I buffed it out before applying the decals, but to be honest my powder guy did such a great job, there was no orange peel or any sort of texture...so I got away without it. I could always do it now.... But it's sort of like refinishing floors or painting your house....100x easier if you can do it before you move in (or put the decals on, in this case).

I think that choice is great, by the way. Prismatic will send you sample coupons for free, and they come fast. I recommend seeing it in person. You can see some of those coupons and close up of the results on my sidecovers here
Yeah I’m getting the “ homie hook up” on the powder coating for a trade so I’m excited to see it look soo good. I’m interested in the method you filled your dings and dents before the coating, I know you said some sort of metal paste!? I have not blasted the old paint off yet.soo I’m not sure if it has filler on it now.(im trying to think ahead?). More research is needed. I will re-read your posts about it

Just an example of vinyl decals. I bought this bike, it came to me with a non factory white paint job, the paint was in good shape, but I wanted to dress it up a little. I went to this website,

https://doityourselflettering.com/vinyl-lettering/

They have an easy to use , online, create your own decal program. The colors and style of fonts are practically endless, and you have the option of buying a good exterior grade 3M vinyl material. They are surprisingly affordable.
I created some decals for the tank and sidecovers in a style that I thought looked appropriate and stuck them on.
It’s easy to do and they were quite durable.
212DA872-CBC5-47C2-A8DD-C27BC09C8AA3.jpeg 1E9A5882-240A-45A2-89B7-0C9193425A31.jpeg 26306268-0E82-4A53-BB09-D2EA20D41A83.jpeg

Just an example of vinyl decals. I bought this bike, it came to me with a non factory white paint job, the paint was in good shape, but I wanted to dress it up a little. I went to this website,

https://doityourselflettering.com/vinyl-lettering/

They have an easy to use , online, create your own decal program. The colors and style of fonts are practically endless, and you have the option of buying a good exterior grade 3M vinyl material. They are surprisingly affordable.
I created some decals for the tank and sidecovers in a style that I thought looked appropriate and stuck them on.
It’s easy to do and they were quite durable.
View attachment 180467 View attachment 180468 View attachment 180469
Yeah those look great!

So this is what I have found quickly. Seems legit to me..... quality is of course unknown to me. I have a few resources for the graphics of this doesn’t work. Does anyone here have any input about the one I found?

Attachments

• 6FB19D12-C1DA-45E9-BC7D-BE91D8C307CD.png
    6FB19D12-C1DA-45E9-BC7D-BE91D8C307CD.png
    523.9 KB · Views: 130
So this is what I have found quickly. Seems legit to me..... quality is of course unknown to me. I have a few resources for the graphics of this doesn’t work. Does anyone here have any input about the one I found?

I think you could probably trust that, but I’ve never used it. I did do a quick search for those graphics and that’s not a real easy to find set.

Those look like the ones I was thinking of. From Speed and Sport in PA. Link here

The filler work was done with a high-temp epoxy that could withstand the heat of the powder coating. It came out pretty good, and I think it has the ability to be REALLY good, but I got lazy and just had my powder guy do the body work after he blasted down to metal. If I had to do it over, I would have gone and picked it up after the blasting, done the filler work myself, and brought it back for powder. My powder guy was admittedly not a bodywork guy, but neither am I. Result is noticeable but not too bad.

Those look like the ones I was thinking of. From Speed and Sport in PA. Link here

The filler work was done with a high-temp epoxy that could withstand the heat of the powder coating. It came out pretty good, and I think it has the ability to be REALLY good, but I got lazy and just had my powder guy do the body work after he blasted down to metal. If I had to do it over, I would have gone and picked it up after the blasting, done the filler work myself, and brought it back for powder. My powder guy was admittedly not a bodywork guy, but neither am I. Result is noticeable but not too bad.
It’s the same exact seller! Wicked tough graphics actually. I just ordered a set. So I guess I will be the test subject! After tax and what not it was 94$ Breed be a bad ass sticker lol, now I need to not put it on crooked

I believe these were what was used on my tank that was repainted, if you look really closely at them you can see some slight pixelation on the pin lines.

if I had to guess, I would say the originals were screen printed on white vinyl because they have very crisp lines and are under the clear where as the repops are printed on vinyl.

I believe these were what was used on my tank that was repainted, if you look really closely at them you can see some slight pixelation on the pin lines.

if I had to guess, I would say the originals were screen printed on white vinyl because they have very crisp lines and are under the clear where as the repops are printed on vinyl.
Hopefully no one looks that close cuz I’ll be cruising!

Back