Complete New Wheels From XS650 Direct

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
XS650 Direct has a listing for brand new front and rear wheels.
Has anyone seen these in person and if so, any comments about the hub casting fit and finish, rim brand, assembly quality and so on.
They are pretty spendy, especially the rear, but when one adds up the cost of the components and labour to do it yourself, it could make sense. Additionally, the rear hub is advertised as a cush hub.

Any one have any experience with the rear hub? Cush drive, looks interesting.
upload_2021-4-17_16-41-45.png

I went too check these out. They only have one pic and no discription.
For a cush drive it may not be a bad price.
I also went to Mike's, They have a wheel kit. It uses a solid hub that is set up to use spokes with a disc brake. It was designed to replace the mag disc brake wheel with a laced disc brake wheel. This is a nice option for those weanting a disc rear brake with a laced wheel.
Leo

That cush drive rear hub looks like it was copied from the TX/XS500 one .....

full

It only has two bearings, both in the hub. The sprocket carrier/cush drive portion lifts off the hub. It is held on by a threaded ring .....

full

I'm not sure what holds the XS650Direct one in.

20210421_103118.jpg
20210421_103142.jpg
Money Cannon Reloads on Backorder
It was like Christmas and my birthday all at once. Wheels look good, hubs are clean castings, not billet, sprocket side was polished nicely. Have not opened it up to see the cush hub and may not.
Ordered a set of Dunlop K70's at my local Yamaha dealer, they will come in next week.
The initial assignment for these will be my blue 77.

They look real nice Lakeview............

They charge $64.00 more to lace and rim the front than they do the rear??.........nice earner

View attachment 189717
View attachment 189718
It was like Christmas and my birthday all at once. Wheels look good, hubs are clean castings, not billet, sprocket side was polished nicely. Have not opened it up to see the cush hub and may not.
Ordered a set of Dunlop K70's at my local Yamaha dealer, they will come in next week.
:heart::heart::heart:

View attachment 189717
View attachment 189718

Very nice! I look forward to seeing them on your bikes! :geek:

XS650 Direct has a listing for brand new front and rear wheels.
Has anyone seen these in person and if so, any comments about the hub casting fit and finish, rim brand, assembly quality and so on.
They are pretty spendy, especially the rear, but when one adds up the cost of the components and labour to do it yourself, it could make sense. Additionally, the rear hub is advertised as a cush hub.
Hi, I live in Australia & I can't find out how to contact XS Direct about there rear cush drive hub for TX500 OR XS650, can you please send me a link. Regards, Michael

If you can find one, you can adapt a 500 cush drive hub for 650 use for less than half that. I've probably got about $150 into mine and that includes pretty much new everything (bearings, sprocket, rim, stainless spokes) .....

TX500RearFinished.jpg

Oh yes, it came out of the boneyard looking pretty rough, lol .....

TX500Rear.jpg

A complete disassembly, lubing, and polish fixed it right up though. The cush drive was all rusty and stuck .....

Before2.jpg

..... but a thorough cleaning and liberal application of anti-seize fixed it right up .....

HubSleeve.jpg

RrHubDone2.jpg

And I know it works because as I was torquing down the sprocket bolts, I could see the cush hub moving.

If you can find one, you can adapt a 500 cush drive hub for 650 use for less than half that. I've probably got about $150 into mine and that includes pretty much new everything (bearings, sprocket, rim, stainless spokes) .....

View attachment 228077
Just a well you don't live in Australia or you wouldn't be able to afford to have bikes. Sourcing an XS500 hub second hand would cost at least $150, and that proberbly wouldn't have the Brake plate or cush drive plates, before the cost of a new rim and stainless spokes :thumbsdown:

I recieved a really nice rear 18" from @halfmile for my 81 so I have been working on the front hub prior to lacing a rim. A nice rotor will be a touch. I like my Tracker and have a need to learn that path. I am learning plenty of new skills with this (Red Bike) one.

Yep, my bikes would probably have pedals, lol. The condition that this 500 wheel was in is my own fault. I got a freebie 500 Yamaha many years ago, before I even had a 650. I stripped it for usable parts, mostly just the metric nuts and bolts, then carted the rest off to my dealer's boneyard. There it sat for like 10 years, outside, lol. The dealer was nice enough to let me re-claim the rear wheel these many years later, for free I might add. But as we all know, free stuff doesn't remain that way for long, lol. But, this is my hobby so I don't mind spending some money on it.

Back