confused battery eliminator

triumph68

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
mate my head is going to explode , i got a bare 1976 frame and a 1973 engine to make into a brat bike i saw the monstercraftsman video on utube , so i got the kit and fitted it no problem but what do i do to fit the electrics ? so i got a complete high output standard ignition and pma package from mikes xs but i dont have room for a standard battery what do people do do they use a battery eliminator ? how do they get that clean nothing under the seat look ? will a battery eliminator even work with mikes pma ignition kit ? or do they use a mini battery or some thing every time i search i get more confused i thought this would be simple . no one in australia seems to know so im at the mercy of you guys . thanks Andy

Hey, Andy. Try the upper/left searchbox using "Sparx capacitor". Many threads on this.
Wrap a wet towel around your head to contain the shrapnel...

so i think as long as you have a pamco ignition with the rod going through with the mechanical advance and a pma all i need is a is a sparx battery eliminator and that's it or should i have some sort of mini battery as well ? and if so can some one give me the heads up on what to get . i was hoping some one would have some kind of check list of what you need i only seem to be getting pieces of information out of the search on the forum please if you have done this let me know how to do it . thanks Andy

i was hoping some one would have some kind of check list of what you need i only seem to be getting pieces of information out of the search on the forum

Don't the instructions on the products you bought suggest compatibility, fitment charts and website or did you check with the vendor on product knowledge?

Don't the instructions on the products you bought suggest compatibility, fitment charts and website or did you check with the vendor on product knowledge?
He bought it from mikesxs, so I doubt it came with any paperwork. Ide get in touch with pamco pete for initial setup, then others will be along with batt/cap suggestions.
Hang in there.

Hi triumph,
you must have gone kickstart-only to think about going without a battery.
There's gotta be a small modern battery that'll sit sideways that you could tuck away somewhere out of sight rather than eff about with a capacitor?
You gotta hide the capacitor too, eh?

I run a capacitor inline with a small battery, might think about using the space just below the carbs near the chain, or creating a slim little box underneath the seat that's maybe 1-2" high where you can hide everything.

Fred has a good point with a modern battery, from what I hear they seem to run well.

Also depends what kind of lighting you want to run, if your going to do capacitor only you might get some low rpm flickering if your going to run blinkers, tail and headlight.

-Beard.

when using a PMA and going without a battery You will have to use a capacitor and go kick start only. in this case a capacitor is basically a very small battery.
the green wire from the regulator pigtail to a chassis ground. make sure the the capacitors negative is also connected to the chassis
Connect the red wire from the regulator pigtail to the positive terminal on the capacitor and then to the main power circuit at the fuse box
At this point you should be ready for a kickstart
instructions for installation here good luck

Everyone pretty much covered it. Search wiring diagrams. There's all sorts of combos from battery less or with. I went bare bones minimal wiring.
Here's mine
picture.php

Been awhile since I've posted pics sorry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 591
thanks every body i still have one more question i found a small battery meant for a 12 v alarm system from a german on line store called kickstarter de that sells some xs stuff its 12v 0.8 ah its the size of a cigarette box . why do some people use a capacitor as well ? and do you think this battery will work i dont know anything about or what ah means . thanks again Andy

Back