Consensus---Best Year

I've owned a '71, '72, '74 and '76. For what ever reason, the '74 TX650A was my favorite rider. I had Avon AM26s on it and it just felt right. IIRC the Avons were a little smaller than most prefer, 100/90-19 and a 110/90-18. That bike turned in well and felt planted in the turns even with it's stock suspenders.

I feel it's more complicated, and more brake than a bike needs. I've only locked the rear once and started sliding sideways a bit, and that was on a bike with a rear disc. My rear drums add to the stopping power, but won't lock, and I consider that a good thing. My well sorted front brakes do most of the stopping. I had to panic stop once on my 650 when someone turned in front of me. I had that front wheel howling, right at the edge of adhesion, but the rear didn't lock or slide out. To me, that's about the best braking you can get (or expect).

Well I'm kinda partial to the '23 Retro XS650 Standard. Counterbalanced crank...
1923?? w/rephased crank??:laugh2::lmao:
20220916_143400.jpg

Not much consensus
Dont want to talk down other peoples machines but me Personally don't like the 1975 styling
Maybe 71 yellow and
80 - 81 red

The latter winning ..because electronic ignition and better sorted out machine

Some modifications modernization I believe it would sell today also

I`ve only had 2 XS650`s that were original bikes. A French Blue 76 and a 79 Standard I bought from CafePhil on this site. The 79 Standard was super nice. Lots of 78 to 81 Specials but they soon became tracker/scramblers.
1976 XS650 016-001.JPG
1979 Standard 002-001.JPG

72 hands down. First year for E-Start, first year for front disk brake, last year for best looking tank and best year for paint colors.
But then I've owned a 72 since 76 so what I think is jaded.
Almost like asking what's the Best oil to use in a 650. :mad:

Funny you say that Jan, the 75 styling is not my personal favorite either. I really like the early models 70-73. 74. The green 78 is cool…and I think the monochromatic specials have a certain appeal as well. 🤷‍♂️ Plenty years to go around! Another nice thing about these bikes.

Last edited:
If you base the criteria solely on looks, 1970 is best, and each successive year got progressively worse-looking, in a perfect unbroken chain. Well, almost unbroken. 1982 was the year they blacked everything out, a really terrible idea. In 1983 they came back to their senses and returned to chrome.

You know, this never occurred to me before, but by far my favorite colors are 1970 and 1971. Those are just crazy-cool colors. And where did they get the inspiration for those colors? I'll tell you where -- Detroit muscle. Take a look at the colors of the 1970 Plymouth Superbird, 1969 Pontiac The Judge GTO, the 1969 Dodge Charger or Super Bee, etc...

If you base the criteria solely on looks, 1970 is best, and each successive year got progressively worse-looking, in a perfect unbroken chain. Well, almost unbroken. 1982 was the year they blacked everything out, a really terrible idea. In 1983 they came back to their senses and returned to chrome.

Yes Sir
100 % with you there even 110 % a Motorcycle shall spark in the night The wow factor ..turning heads I am not for the Christmas tree decorations paint schemes ..On a stock bike . Custom is another thing . But if no Sparkle they can keep it ---Adding -- a Exhaust big as a dust bin designed as a Military tent stove Power as a 250 cc .. And then on top of that they wonder why sales is Slow ??

Based upon what? If you consider continued improvements, that would mean the last ones were best.
Expect no consensus. We all like these bikes for various reasons. Which model is best is as varied as those reasons.

There is nothing wrong with an XS650F. So long as you like a standard with inner tubes, breaker points, BS38 carburetors …..
Having just read through this thread, jetmechmarty summed it all up with the first response to the question. I will also add that I would happily buy a special to keep my standard company, if the right one comes along.

Back