Converting to TCI on the cheap ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
All my XS650 engines have the early type alternator/rotor and ignition triggered from the end of the cam.
One has a Boyer system fitted, the others are still points with the mechanical A/R.
After reading various posts on these forums, I've now ordered a pattern GN250 igniter box, for an amazing £12, shipped (from China)

Now I'll be looking around for a used late type TCI alternator.
Obviously, I'm going to need the TCI rotor with the magnet embedded in it.
But I'm wondering if I could actually convert the early type stator to run with the TCI system.
I know the rotor brushes and their conections are different, but I could possibly fix that.
And I realise that I'll need a pickup coil mounted on the stator casing for the TCI.
I'm just wondering if there is an alternative pattern type pick up coil that could be made to work, rather than trusting in a used 40 yr old Yamaha item ?
Maybe a pattern part for a more common/newer model of motorcycle, or maybe something from a lawn mower or chainsaw even.
I just thought that it might be worth asking the question here first, before I start to experiment myself.

On page 8 is the info you need on converting a points rotor to TCI thanks to Jim

https://www.xs650.com/threads/tci-replacement-2020-it-works.57388/page-8#post-647392

I cant remember off the top of my head what pick up I use but its off a dirt bike and is modified quiet a bit. However it sits under the covers nicely.
The info and mounting bracket drawing is in one of the Gonzo threads.
Have a look here. It's a work in progress, but there's enough info there to build one.

Back