Cool clothing for hot climate

Hey Doug! Having grown up here in the oven region of our country I can tell you I have tried all of the mentioned products.
First, the cooling vest,
75CF1437-00F4-4F2B-8C88-4A81ABADFF27.jpeg
It’s filled with some sort of crystals that absorb water, you soak it in a sink or bucket, they swell up and then slowly release that moisture over the course of several hours on a hot day, there by cooling you down like a wearable evaporative cooler. Or at least that’s what the sales pitch is. I bought this to try and make it bearable to commute in the summer months here. I wore it under a mesh jacket. The reality for me was it just felt soggy and humid, it soaked the clothes I was wearing underneath and the worse part was water had a habit of draining to the lowest point of the vest then dribbling out. By the time I got to work my crotch was soaked and it looked like I peed my pants. It was a fail for me, I threw it away. Note: my vest did not have those ice pack inserts that the vest you linked to had.
Next up , the cooling neckband,
29BB42FD-853C-4051-8BF6-8AB67113E74C.jpeg
Made the same as the vest, these were all the rage here in Phoenix back in the 90’s, they were sold everywhere.
I tried one when I was a mail man during the summer months. I didn’t like it any more than the vest.

And finally something that I really like, the moisture wicking shirts
480F261F-F27F-438C-A7B6-4AF941C22EC3.jpeg
I have a bunch of these, I can buy them much cheaper than what Fieldsheer is selling them for at Walmart. They are 100% synthetic, mostly recycled water bottles. They do not absorb sweat, but rather wicks the sweat away from your body so it evaporates fast. I wear them when I’m riding , under my mesh jacket and I have found that to be the most comfortable combination. I also wear them on hot days when I’m out in my garage and when I’m doing yard work.
So there you go my :twocents:

They do not absorb sweat, but rather wicks the sweat away from your body so it evaporates fast. I wear them when I’m riding , under my mesh jacket and I have found that to be the most comfortable combination.
I may have to try that, but I'm sure I won't find it as effective in Mississippi as it is in Arizona.

I have ridden in Florida throughout many summers and also the low desert of California in summer. I think these are two of the hottest places in the lower 48 (honorable mention to Texas here as well) with a good split of hot/wet and hot/dry air.
For pants, I have mainly used jeans or heavy cargo pants such as 511 brand. I know the jeans are not very protective, but they are less hot than leathers or the motorcycle protective pants. I feel as though I am overheating in these and the ride becomes dreary.
For the jackets, I have simply removed the liners and opened all the vent they have. I did have a mesh jacket once with protective armor but it only lasted one summer. With the pads it was barely heavier than a t-shirt.

What I have used very successfully though is also what I swim in. Long sleeve rash guards you can see under the sweat shirt in the first picture. When I am training, I swim for hours upon hours and need skin protection from the heavier sweat shirt or even just my own skin rubbing against my sides. I found that riding in hot weather with these also help wick away moisture and thus keep me cooler on those 12 hour days in the saddle.

4.13.17.jpg

This is just another example of the rash guard I wear under the wet suit on my way from the Pentagon to Norfolk.
Day7ish.jpg

The moister wicking t-shirts @Mailman mentioned work great too and come in short sleeve. I think these are less expensive than my rash guards at least at Target and Walmart. I think these t-shirts are the best for my hot weather riding.

Hey Doug! Having grown up here in the oven region of our country I can tell you I have tried all of the mentioned products.
First, the cooling vest,
View attachment 203576
It’s filled with some sort of crystals that absorb water, you soak it in a sink or bucket, they swell up and then slowly release that moisture over the course of several hours on a hot day, there by cooling you down like a wearable evaporative cooler. Or at least that’s what the sales pitch is. I bought this to try and make it bearable to commute in the summer months here. I wore it under a mesh jacket. The reality for me was it just felt soggy and humid, it soaked the clothes I was wearing underneath and the worse part was water had a habit of draining to the lowest point of the vest then dribbling out. By the time I got to work my crotch was soaked and it looked like I peed my pants. It was a fail for me, I threw it away. Note: my vest did not have those ice pack inserts that the vest you linked to had.
Next up , the cooling neckband,
View attachment 203577
Made the same as the vest, these were all the rage here in Phoenix back in the 90’s, they were sold everywhere.
I tried one when I was a mail man during the summer months. I didn’t like it any more than the vest.

And finally something that I really like, the moisture wicking shirts
View attachment 203578
I have a bunch of these, I can buy them much cheaper than what Fieldsheer is selling them for at Walmart. They are 100% synthetic, mostly recycled water bottles. They do not absorb sweat, but rather wicks the sweat away from your body so it evaporates fast. I wear them when I’m riding , under my mesh jacket and I have found that to be the most comfortable combination. I also wear them on hot days when I’m out in my garage and when I’m doing yard work.
So there you go my :twocents:

I remember those neck ties and bought one once. think i threw it away after the first time using it. cant stand things around my neck even shirt with a collar, and i don't remember it helping to cool me down.

On the vest your experience is the same as a review i read. the reviewer did say the vest performed better when he did the snap part of the directions a couple of times...........Wonder if some of the budget brands quality isn't as good as it could be? ..........Your heat in Arizona is a dry heat where as ours is already humid so how that plays out with the vest .......mmm

Those T shirts, it claims, reduces the temperature by 7 degrees. hell it hadn't even got real hot here and i was sweating under my jacket on a ride. Think i will just have to buy and try.

I have ridden in Florida throughout many summers and also the low desert of California in summer. I think these are two of the hottest places in the lower 48 (honorable mention to Texas here as well) with a good split of hot/wet and hot/dry air.
For pants, I have mainly used jeans or heavy cargo pants such as 511 brand. I know the jeans are not very protective, but they are less hot than leathers or the motorcycle protective pants. I feel as though I am overheating in these and the ride becomes dreary.
For the jackets, I have simply removed the liners and opened all the vent they have. I did have a mesh jacket once with protective armor but it only lasted one summer. With the pads it was barely heavier than a t-shirt.

What I have used very successfully though is also what I swim in. Long sleeve rash guards you can see under the sweat shirt in the first picture. When I am training, I swim for hours upon hours and need skin protection from the heavier sweat shirt or even just my own skin rubbing against my sides. I found that riding in hot weather with these also help wick away moisture and thus keep me cooler on those 12 hour days in the saddle.

View attachment 203580
This is just another example of the rash guard I wear under the wet suit on my way from the Pentagon to Norfolk.
View attachment 203581
The moister wicking t-shirts @Mailman mentioned work great too and come in short sleeve. I think these are less expensive than my rash guards at least at Target and Walmart. I think these t-shirts are the best for my hot weather riding.

Your pics looks like me after a hour outside and i haven't gone near water

wicks the sweat away from your body so it evaporates fast.
That's more or less a cold weather strategy too, first layer just keeps your skin dry. Something cold...ice pack on the back of your neck? I don't think you would feel hot anymore...

Back