1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gggGary, Feb 28, 2020.

1. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

In the article Mississippi was the state that bucks the trend

first time you have accused me of reading mainstream media..........usually its an accusation that its left wing.

This ongoing graph will tell the story.
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/us-states
    https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/

Thing with the 30million i read is..........even if some of it is along party lines, there is still a fairly large percentage of one party and a percentage of the other....... plus you have............The vaccines are only 75-90% effective........add in the anti vaxxers........then those that are sitting on the fence, that read about problems with vaccines and countries are suspending using them, they are going to either not take them at all or wait till the last possible moment before they are convinced it is safe............

Not to hard to work out that herd immunity is going to be a challange...........

Australia will have similar challenges as well, Not so much the political side but anti Vaxxers and those that haven't decided and reading about the problem with Vaccines. We are making the AstraZeneca vaccine here for local consumption, so it is intended to be the main one for us.........now we find out the latest figures they are stating, (to ensure we are up to date and placated about the complications with the vaccine), is Suggested it incorporates old data
    Dr Fuchie
    * https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-...raised-by-us-drug-agency-20210323-p57dem.html

Some one, like me, who would take the vaccine, although has reservations due to the short time to manufacture and test, are not feeling to confident in the vaccines manufacturer, due to their lack of accountability and being forthright.............AstraZeneca vaccine, is supposed to be the one that is going to save us all. It is about 76% affective.........Stand corrected, 79%
    https://www.theguardian.com/society...ve-with-no-increased-blood-clot-risk-us-trial *See link above

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    madmax-im likes this.
  2. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Hope she gets well and you don't catch it......

GLJ likes this.
  3. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Update
    Cootie Girl doing better, no fever, aches and pains almost gone and sense of taste has changed. She says things all taste the same bad. She said the taste is hard to describe, cross between rotten meat and disinfectant. Where she is not doing better is her congestion. It's a little worse and feels light headed if she walks fast while walking Parker. If that gets any worse she is going to call a Dr.
    As for me pretty much the same. No real symptoms.
    A few days ago she got "The Call" from the county health department to schedule her Covid shot. When she told them she has it and is in quarantine they said no. Would call her back next week. Today they called me. Same result when I told them I was in quarantine. Reason I mention this is it's the same health department. I would think the people who make the list of who to call for a shot would get a list of people in quarantine. Guess not. I almost "forgot" to mention the quarantine thing and schedule the shot. Wonder if they check the list any time when you go to get the shot.

Mailman and jetmechmarty like this.
  4. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty Project collector XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Maybe this will help Cootie Girl.

GLJ likes this.
  5. GLJ

Another thing according to the health department my quarantine is 4 days longer than hers. She's going to call and ask if her quarantine ends even if she still has symptoms. I don't see how hers could end if she has congestion and is coughing.

gggGary and jetmechmarty like this.
  6. jetmechmarty

Who really knows anything about this stuff. I did some reading about how the vaccine works and I found it very interesting. More than anything, it gives your immune system a head start. So, you can still get it, but it shouldn't be so bad. Anything to scare away death is fine by me!

gggGary and GLJ like this.
  7. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

I read last week that the vaccine creates 10x the amount of antibodies than your body would creates normally in reaction to the actual virus. Maybe because they inject you with a huge amount of MRNA components? :shrug:

8. GLJ

I totally agree with that. We are learning as we go. A few years after this is "over" it will be understood a lot better. Then in the future we will be better prepared, only if we learn from the past.

gggGary and Mailman like this.
  9. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Heard a great analogy the other day. The MRNA is like a BOLO (be on the lookout) poster. The injection shows that poster to you immune system and says "these are bad guys. If you see 'em, wipe 'em out."

buzzword, gggGary, madmax-im and 5 others like this.
  10. GLJ

Good analogy. I may be wrong but I think it also gives them some ammunition to work with. Forewarned is forearmed.

11. jetmechmarty

I think keeping in mind that a vaccinated person may still be able to get a positive covid test and maybe pass it to someone else is a good defensive position. It isn’t magic. I’m still going to get mine on my appointment day, magic or not.

buzzword, gggGary, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  12. madmax-im

madmax-im Yamaha...Go your own way... Top Contributor

Me too Marty..April 2nd for the booster shot...

gggGary and Mikey like this.
  13. GLJ

Cootie Girl update.
    I guess she did what we thought was impossible when we were preteens. She got rid of her cooties. She went to a Dr. yesterday and checks out good. No symptoms left except the smell and taste thing. Her quarantine date is up, since she has no fever or congestion she's done with that.
    As for me I'm typing this from death's door. Just kidding. I have not had any symptoms. Technically I'm still in quarantine but since I have not had any symptoms I think I will break it tonight. Me and Cootie Girl are going to the BAR for an hour or so. Be nice to see people again!

Mikey, gggGary, kshansen and 4 others like this.
  14. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

That’s great news Greg! Onward and upward for you guys!

Mikey and gggGary like this.
  15. GLJ

Ops

Mikey likes this.
  16. gggGary

gggGary On the road of life I'm a speed bump. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Ut oh!

Mikey likes this.
  17. gggGary

gggGary On the road of life I'm a speed bump. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Thought you all would find this interesting.
    [​IMG]
    Understanding Your COVID-19 Antibody Test Results

Thank you for donating blood through the American Red Cross during this unprecedented and uncertain time. During the blood donation process, samples are collected and sent to a laboratory where they undergo routine screening and infectious disease testing. The Red Cross is also testing donations for antibodies to the SARS coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes COVID-19. This COVID-19 antibody test is authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Results may indicate a donor’s past exposure to this coronavirus – regardless of whether they developed symptoms. Testing may also identify the presence of antibodies developed after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.

[​IMG]
    What Does My Test Result Mean?
    Positive test result: Indicates previous exposure to the virus that causes COVID-19 resulting in the development of specific viral antibodies, regardless of whether you experienced COVID-19 symptoms. A positive test result likely indicates past infection, with or without a COVID-19 vaccination and may not be an indicator of current or future immunity. Individuals should continue to follow all COVID-19 safety guidelines provided by the CDC. As with all tests, false positives, or a test result that incorrectly states the presence of antibodies, can occur. If your test result is positive or reactive, the Red Cross may contact you to request additional information and conduct further testing as part of a research study.

Negative test result: Indicates that you probably have not been exposed to COVID-19 and therefore have not developed antibodies to the virus. It also could indicate that antibodies are present but at levels below the test’s threshold for detection, or that the test did not recognize those antibodies. It takes one to three weeks after an infection for antibodies to be detectable.
    If you have recently received a COVID-19 vaccine, but your antibody test result is negative, your antibody level may not yet be detectable. It can take up to three weeks after a vaccine to have a detectable level of antibodies.

Reactive test result: Indicates that your initial antibody test was reactive for COVID-19 antibodies. The Red Cross uses two antibody tests to generate our results. While it is uncommon, some donations may not complete both tests due to processing issues. The initial test detects antibodies to the spike protein of the virus, that are produced in response to viral infection or the vaccine. The other detects antibodies to a different part of the virus called the nucleocapsid protein, which are produced in response to infection, but not by the current vaccines. If a donor has had the COVID-19 vaccine, they will generate antibodies against the spike protein but not the nucleocapsid protein, which will only occur in the event of a COVID-19 infection. A reactive result on the antibody test usually requires about one to three weeks from the receipt of the first dose of a vaccine.

Not Available test result: Some tests may not be completed due to processing issues. Donors will need to have a successful donation to receive COVID-19 antibody results. Per standard procedures, only successful donations are sent to our laboratory for testing.

Pending test result: Indicates that the test is still in process. Most donors can expect to receive the results of their antibody test within one to two weeks through our Red Cross Blood Donor app or online donor portal. In some situations, final test results may take longer to appear.

For additional information about your test result, you may download or view the manufacturer’s fact sheet for the ORTHO Clinical Diagnostics VITROS® Total Test or the Roche Diagnostics Test.

COVID-19 Antibody Testing Partners
    Thank you to our generous partners for their support of our COVID-19 antibody testing initiative.
    [​IMG]
    © 2021 The American National Red CrossAbout Us Contact Us RedCross.org Terms of Use Privacy PolicySupporters

TwoManyXS1Bs and Mikey like this.
  18. Vww18

Vww18 XS650 Enthusiast

I've seen that Trump request a "thank you" for giving the world the vaccine

Without him, no one would have a dose before 5 years or even never.

So thank you.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Raymond and gggGary like this.
  19. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

laugh and slap.gif

madmax-im, kshansen, Raymond and 3 others like this.