Counter shaft bearing circlip

Ehersheybergs

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first bike rebuild it is a 1979 xs650 special II, the engine is a 2f0-25 I am just starting to put my engine/transmission back together and I noticed that I only have one circlip for the counter shaft bearing. In the book it only shows one but the way the bearing and housing makes me assume there should be two, one for the top and one for the bottom. Am I correct in assuming that there is supposed to be two? or is there only one? And if there is only one does it go on the top or the bottom?

(I found a picture of the circlip I am referring to below)

Attachments

• 3E922697-488C-44FC-9A2E-28BE624F4331.png
    3E922697-488C-44FC-9A2E-28BE624F4331.png
    2 MB · Views: 45
There's only one. I generally put it in the top half as that's the half you put the shafts in as you build it.
If you had to clips could you put them both in? Would certainly make that bearing more stable yes?

Yes, two clips would make it more stable. So would welding it in.... :wink2:
Point is... it's more than enough with one clip. That's how the engineers designed it, and it's stood the test of time pretty well. One clip... and let it be.

Yes, two clips would make it more stable. So would welding it in.... :wink2:
Point is... it's more than enough with one clip. That's how the engineers designed it, and it's stood the test of time pretty well. One clip... and let it be.
Thanks Jim
Yeah I'm good with one, welding it however would be a bit too far off the old beaten path. Let's hope nobody has tried that. It is amazing though what you'd find on some motors, but When I do it tells me someone was desperate to get their hair blowing in the wind.

Back