Crankcase oil jets - I have too many!

BarrieC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Started the engine rebuild sorted out a good Gear Selector drum and bearings and moved onto checking oilways (keep in mind this engine came to me in boxs, with cases stripped and painted, bores honed and new piston kits hmm!)
Anyway i noticed that WD was coming out of an unusual location on one side of the upper case: 2 additional holes one next too and one to the side below the "proper nozzle"

on the other side of the engine one nozzle, thats it - I have checked the forum and gone through my "Yamaha XS650 Engine book". The additional holes do not look like damage/bursting? as they are round. Are these normal? see below

Thanks guys, hoping not to fall at first hurdle!

Attachments

• Oil Jet 1.jpg
    Oil Jet 1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Oil Jet 2.jpg
    Oil Jet 2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 79
I looked at one of my crankcases. Either the same hack owned both our motors at one time.... or it came from the factory with those extra holes.
....I'ma go with door number two.... :laugh2:

z.png
zz.png

Thanks Jim, the sick feeling has passed! odd how only visible on one side, I'm thinking these holes were blocked and i will probably find 2 more on the other side.
What do you think?

The PO (who knows how many ago!) did not do a great job in protecting the blasted cases - oil pump was, still attached to the casing and full of bits of fine glass - ouch!
Given its then passed around a number of "never got round to its" and sat in some pretty dusty and some damp places it would not take much for those holes to remain or become blocked - this is the reason I bought a compressor.
Barrie

Attachments

• XS650 inspiration.jpg
    XS650 inspiration.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 66
Yup it's documented in a thread long ago. You will find gray glue covering a ball on the outside of the case at each hole

Hey Guys,
Started the engine rebuild sorted out a good Gear Selector drum and bearings and moved onto checking oilways (keep in mind this engine came to me in boxs, with cases stripped and painted, bores honed and new piston kits hmm!)
Anyway i noticed that WD was coming out of an unusual location on one side of the upper case: 2 additional holes one next too and one to the side below the "proper nozzle"

on the other side of the engine one nozzle, thats it - I have checked the forum and gone through my "Yamaha XS650 Engine book". The additional holes do not look like damage/bursting? as they are round. Are these normal? see below

Thanks guys, hoping not to fall at first hurdle!

The amout of oil galleries depend on the Year of the bike............The thread ggGary references goes into detail and shows a number of differences in how many galleries on either side of the case.......some have 2 on each side and others don't

thanks Guys, I can sleep easy tonight! i've rebuilt a lot of engines from 4 cylinder Japanese to BMW Boxers and K's, but this is the first time i'm building one from boxes of bits! and its a lot harder!

Only other question before i go, is any ideas on the "Cap/plug" on the end of the gear fork selector shaft? it shows as a cap in the Haynes manual and refers to a plug on the clutch side in the XS650 engine book?

so, the end that goes into the blind hole and is fed oil is open - of course - and the end that goes towards the clutch and has the cut out for the retaining plate appears to be blocked off - is that the plug/cap referred too?
sorry about these questions, but its just so critical at this stage that everything has to be right for oil ways - once i can clarify this its onwards to getting the cases closed (Dont forget that new endless camchain LOL)
Barrie

Back