Creating a new regulator rectifier from scratch (1980 and up)

Thanks Gary . And Skull im going to post my serial number to see exactly what bike i have . It was stock when i bought it 7 years ago had Special II on the side panels twin front discs rear disc break electric start and kick start . At work at the moment on night so will post serial number tomorrow my put further light on the matter

Last edited:
so where im at now is trying to source a regulator in the UK that is a type B
Type B regulators are “inverted” with series winding located on the source side of the shunt windings.
how does one find out what type the regulator is and what is a shunt winding

so where im at now is trying to source a regulator in the UK that is a type B
Type B regulators are “inverted” with series winding located on the source side of the shunt windings.
how does one find out what type the regulator is and what is a shunt winding
Series and shunt windings are terms used for DC motors and generators. You don't have a "generator" you have an "alternator." I could explain them, but I think your head would explode. ;)

Look for a regulator for an "alternator." A VR115 is a good candidate... been used many times on the XS. Amazon UK has 'em in stock.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STANDARD-M...5&qid=1656979968&sprefix=vr115,aps,477&sr=8-1

Hi all I have managed to source a fiat regulator. After a long hard search .my question now is when wiring up the components what amp rating wire do I use or guage . All the best Funky

Hi all I have managed to source a fiat regulator. After a long hard search .my question now is when wiring up the components what amp rating wire do I use or guage . All the best Funky

What model number?

Yes, that looks correct for your application (early alternator type). It is a 'B' type (power regulating) and that's what you need/want.

So rectifire purchased and now the regulator. thanks for all your help everyone will have to find the thread where its put together at some point just need to know what wire to use if anyone can help have lots of 8amp not sure if thtas man enough from the pictures of the build

https://www.xs650.com/threads/diy-reg-rec-5twins-and-jim.55842/post-613421
i think i have found the full thread about Type B Regulator that Jim posted.
Is as simple as using the diagram to build the Reg/Rec but instead of switching ground (Green Brushed Ground) you switch the Power to the winding if you get my drift.
I understand that if you use the The type A Reg/Rec on a points engine you have to use the Nylon screw to isolate that ground.
I want to build a Reg/Rec with a type B Regulator as my bike HAD points fittedas a stock bike and is clearly the Type B older stator, in saying that I fitted a Pamco electronic Ignition and a separate Pamco electronic advance..
Now after reading most of these threads I have been using a after market Reg/Rec purchased from Fleebay without using a Nylon screw to isolate the ground to the rotor brushes ....which rotates ( SKUll 650).... In saying that I can't be sure that the Fleebay Reg/Rec is the right or wrong device for my charging system but what I can say is that i cooked a battery a few years ago and in the 6 to 7 years i have had the XS650 I have had 4 batteries and this indicates there is a problem to me.
I know i have been asking lots of questions some of them stupid and probably pissed off some of you which would explain some the comments I have received but as I stated I really want to learn about this stuff and get my head round all this so I can take care of my XS and I really do appreciate your advise and wisdom. But I for one will not give up until i complete the task at hand.
All the best Alex

Last edited:
https://www.xs650.com/threads/diy-reg-rec-5twins-and-jim.55842/post-613421
i think i have found the full thread about Type B Regulator that Jim posted.
Is as simple as using the diagram to build the Reg/Rec but instead of switching ground (Green Brushed Ground) you switch the Power to the winding if you get my drift.
I understand that if you use the The type A Reg/Rec on a points engine you have to use the Nylon screw to isolate that ground.
I want to build a Reg/Rec with a type B Regulator as my bike HAD points fittedas a stock bike and is clearly the Type B older stator, in saying that I fitted a Pamco electronic Ignition and a separate Pamco electronic advance..
Now after reading most of these threads I have been using a after market Reg/Rec purchased from Fleebay without using a Nylon screw to isolate the ground to the rotor brushes ....which rotates ( SKUll 650).... In saying that I can't be sure that the Fleebay Reg/Rec is the right or wrong device for my charging system but what I can say is that i cooked a battery a few years ago and in the 6 to 7 years i have had the XS650 I have had 4 batteries and this indicates there is a problem to me.
I know i have been asking lots of questions some of them stupid and probably pissed off some of you which would explain some the comments I have received but as I stated I really want to learn about this stuff and get my head round all this so I can take care of my XS and I really do appreciate your advise and wisdom. But I for one will not give up until i complete the task at hand.
All the best Alex
Yup use the wrong regulator and you get full charge full time, eats batteries anytime you put some miles on. No matter what system you have, a voltmeter on the handlebars is a good investment.
I put battery tender leads on my bikes and wire a volt meter to plug into the tender..
There are many types, this one $9 on amazon
1657150492385.png

Has an on off switch on the back.
cough, cheap compared to killing 4 batteries.

I got one on my bike Gary under the seat to monitor the battery
I am a slightly perturbed to be honest Skull said he was frustrated I have been posting on 3 threads trying to get answers to my questions said that all the info is here on this forum..... please tell me where does it say what Wire to use I.E what Amp rating???
I read the Stator pushes out maybe 12 amps but no where does it say what wire to use,,,, AWG i think they call it.... the obvious is to use a slightly higher rated amp wire than what it pushes or draws current wise, but is that right?????? I don't know I am not an auto electrician.
Also I would really like to know what wire I use to switch power to the Rotor using the type B regulator looks like a green wire to the top brush .... I can see picture of how to wire a type A and a type B But Its and electrical schematic drawing and again im not an auto electrician.
Jims post is very good and 5twins is too, great pictures but they are type A circuits. the only diagram i could see for a type B is a schematic of that circuit which i have difficulty understanding.
Skull has been very helpful too poor fellow has had enough of me but he told me what charging system I have and what bike I have engine type along with other staff I thank you all very much
All the best

Last edited:
SAE wires sizes will be mostly in the range of 18 to 16 bumping up to 14 or 12 for the charging wire. This is different than house wiring, loads are transient, wires aren't buried in wooden structures for decades.
look at the stock wire sizes.

Motorcycle Wire Gauges​

Most motorcycles use:
  • 16 to 18 gauge wire for the primary wires and wires to controls, lights, etc.
  • 12 to 14 gauge wires for components with a heavier load like starters, generators, and battery grounds.
Use a copper stranded wire that’s insulated in plastic. These often come in a variety of colors to help with your custom harness.

Standard automotive wires will work fine. Look for AWG wires, which contain a higher copper ratio.

Get a voltmeter out where you can see it when you're riding, just trust me on this.
Skull's technically great but tends to get a bit pissy, it's just who he is.
The factory B circuit I posted covers everything, and is as basic as it gets.
Pretty sure Jim posted both A and B circuits in color.

Skull is what god made him I must say I was upset slightly about rotors rotate and stator stay still no need for that... but hey Ho.

Mr ggg Gary I want to thank you very much for your support I really do appreciate it I can order the wire now.
I have a type A and type B regulator coming and the Rectifier is on route.
I am currently at work on nights I work in Psychiatry in acute services I almost admitted myself earlier....
i will build the component and post pictures and see if I have done it right . You never now I or we may be able to help someone else in the future
I have gained a lot of new knowledge posting here I am grateful.
All the best and Thankyou very much

Skull is what god made him I must say I was upset slightly about rotors rotate and stator stay still no need for that... but hey Ho.

Well in all fairness that was me who said that. It was in response to you getting them backwards. But I'll be damned if I remember which thread it was in...
I'll give Skull credit for trying.... when you got up to the third or forth thread you spread this across, I gave up.

Fwiw... rotors rotate and stators are stationary was a common teaching aid back when I used to teach this stuff. Was never meant to insult anyone...

Well in all fairness that was me who said that. It was in response to you getting them backwards. But I'll be damned if I remember which thread it was in...
I'll give Skull credit for trying.... when you got up to the third or forth thread you spread this across, I gave up.

Fwiw... rotors rotate and stators are stationary was a common teaching aid back when I used to teach this stuff. Was never meant to insult anyone...
In a kind and gentle military school. ;^)
pete.jpg

Now come Skull I did say you were right about the multipull posts and said sorry. Jim thanks for holding your hand up Skull i have a name Funky on here HE is rude dont make get on a plane and teach you manners . be kind.
If someone does not grasp a concept and misses things its not a crime I get this forum is a big part of your life and i have been polite at all times never pissy just stated that that comment by jim was not appreciate. for me this ends here no bad blood needed here Chillout its all good . and again i thank you for your help all of you

Yup use the wrong regulator and you get full charge full time, eats batteries anytime you put some miles on. No matter what system you have, a voltmeter on the handlebars is a good investment.
I put battery tender leads on my bikes and wire a volt meter to plug into the tender..
There are many types, this one $9 on amazon
View attachment 218273
Has an on off switch on the back.
cough, cheap compared to killing 4 batteries.
Lol at a XS running a cigarette lighter. Better have a throttle lock! I have the rightmost part of that device, but I really don't trust the rubber plugs to keep any water out. It's also in a case made to push into a cut out.

Back