Walters_Gallery

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

So I've heard that pod filters aren't really that good to use on the 750s and I found a guy that made a custom air box on his build and I was wondering if anyone and identify what material/tubing do you think he used to fab it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527_052012_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_052012_Gallery.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 46
Carbs generally like all the air molecules lined-up and heading the same direction before entering their bell - and CV carbs particularly so. They really don't like confused turbulent air. CV's particularly like velocity stacks and many air boxes emulate that effect (some by accident, some on purpose).

CV's really don't seem to like the conical shaped K&N filter pods (guessing they create turbulence), but are fine with cylindrical K&N's or Uni's. The other issue is that some pods block the air passages in the bell and really mess the carbs up.

The limiting factor on a lot of bikes - in making a good intake - is the room ya have to work with: longer is generally better. Dunno about the arrangement in the pic, but it looks similar to vacuum cleaner attachments I've had ;)

Last edited:
Carbs generally like all the air molecules lined-up and heading the same direction before entering their bell - and CV carbs particularly so. They really don't like confused turbulent air. CV's particularly like velocity stacks and many air boxes emulate that effect (some by accident, some on purpose).

CV's really don't seem to like the conical shaped K&N filter pods (guessing they create turbulence), but are fine with cylindrical K&N's or Uni's. The other issue is that some pods block the air passages in the bell and really mess the carbs up.

The limiting factor on a lot of bikes - in making a good intake - is the room ya have to work with: longer is generally better. Dunno about the arrangement in the pic, but it looks similar to vacuum cleaner attachments I've had ;)
Hell yea, thank you for the info.

I'll just do some measurements and find some intake tubing that's the right thickness and length. đź‘Ś

Last edited:
According to Phil Irving (he of Vincent fame) for maximum power a general rule of thumb is a length of 90" divided by the revs in thousands.
The result is the total length of the inlet i.e. from the opening to the head of the valve and the revs used is where you want the peak effect to occur.
This peak point cam be moved up or down the rev range by increasing or reducing the length.

Back