custom wiring harness vs oem stripped

I started with this....

1645307974315.png

... and turned it into this....

1645308075835.jpeg

Not bad for an addled ol' hack... eh? :laughing:

Even made the calendar...

1645308207996.jpeg

Do get back to us when you have a "masterpiece" for us 'ol "hackers" to gawk over.

So Grumpy Aussie eh? Well, lets remember who got upset here - you! So much so you had to explain your rough hack in detail. Which, incidentally, doesn't make the 'hack' look any better!
Ya know.... just occurred to me... you started a thread to document all the work you did on your bike... what... 15-20 pages worth of pics and explanations.... got upset and deleted every fuckin' pic and comment you made there... all because you got pissed over a misunderstanding.
And you think I got upset?

Project much... grumpy? :laugh2:

Here's a harness I hacked for other reasons.

View attachment 207845

So... we'll loosely attach the harness to the bike and hook up everything we want to work on the bike. Satisfied everything works as it should, wrap a piece of masking tape on the wires and connectors we don't want to keep. Pull the harness back off the bike... or not. It can be done in situ... and using your best hackery... dyke them suckers off.

View attachment 207846

Cut the wires staggered so as not to have them bunch in one place. Grab your electrical tape and tape the harness back together.

View attachment 207847

... and done. A one of a kind custom harness. Quick, simple and looks just like the original factory harness.... minus the junk you din't want. Backyard hackery at it's finest.

Wanna get real fancy? Grab your braided harness covering material and start by covering the individual connector wires...

View attachment 207849

You can get real fancy and fasten it with different colored tape.

View attachment 207850

Fold it over, slit it where it goes into the main harness and work it into place... taping it off when you're happy.

View attachment 207851

Rinse and repeat as required until all the harness is covered... tape or zip tie all the ends in place... and here we are... a right fancy lookin' factory harness that we didn't have to spend hours and hours makin'.

View attachment 207852

I really should have used a black zip tie on that.... but I was too damn lazy to go hunt one up... my bad.

So here's the bottom line... the OP isn't experienced in making harnesses or he never would have started a thread askin' how. Here's a viable alternative to "rolling your own."

Have a look on FB, Craigslist... or your favorite site for bike hunting. On any given day you'll find an ad....

For Sale: Bobber project.
I started this about 5 yrs ago, figured out I was in over my head and it's sat in my garage ever since. I just want it gone so I have my space back. $400 obo. Call blah blah blah.....

How 'bout we make it easy on the kid so he can actually finish his project huh?

Edit: Took me about 10 min to run through all that. If you take a little time at it, you can make it look much fancier.

I'll add this to Jims Post..............If your going to use an old loom or just working on the loom/harness on a bike that is old then doing a through continuity test is absolutely necessary.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/continuity-testing-made-easy.49917/

A very good explanation by XSLeo
https://www.xs650.com/threads/what-happens-when-you-turn-your-key-on.9625/

Here are some Links to other threads/tutorials for basics of loom/Harness making...........First link is a very good information tutorial on loom/harness making

https://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-harness-musings.18925/

https://www.xs650.com/threads/grounds-so-important.41775/

If making your own loom/harness.......This has a PMA charging system and Pamco Ignition ignition. Will need to adjust for another type of charging system

Here is a set of diagrams that can be used to make a simplified loom/harness. Shows the separate systems.
Credit goes to Jayel for making up these diagrams
XS650 Part 1 Main Circuit.PNG
XS650 Part 2 Charging.PNG
XS650 Part 3 Ignition.PNG
XS650 Part 4 Headlight-Tail light.PNG
XS650 Part 5 Brake light.PNG
XS650 Part 6 Turn Signals A.PNG
XS650 Complete Project A.PNG

Another chopper/simplified Loom/harness. The modules are changeable to match either a points or factory Electronic ignition (TCI).
10703-points_chopper_wiring Jayel.jpg

Last edited:
I think it may help if I comment here
Put it like this

A ) A young man has bought a bike and are in 2 -3 months planning head off with his friends to the Highway Cafe
taking it from there perhaps selling in the fall perhaps use it a couple of more years " Rock and Roll "
Finances not like Bill Gates

B ) A senior person with a longer plan even spanning for ten years that is focused on the building and refurbishing project
perhaps not intending to ride that much Finances a bit more like Mr Gates

There are different approaches .. I once at the Yamaha dealer heard of a Company Manager that drove under 500 -- 1000 miles a year
And every year took the bike New of course to the dealer for spring service .Fix it ..

Not knowing these matters it is difficult to tell what is right and wrong
If the situation is like A ) and the advice given is according to B ) he wont be at the cafe this summer and in some cases I have seen not to the cafe at all ...Keep it simple --I guess is the best advice.

Thx for the extra diagrams , it's actually a brand new harness that hadn't been used

What is the harness. Is it for a Factory bike or a chopper/hardtail. Need some identification, preferably pics.

Actually post some pics of your project and all the parts the po bought and take a pic under the round cover, that has 2 screws holding it on, it has yamaha written on it, this is on the left side engine cover................... when sitting on the bike

Under this is your charging system. We need to see this to make sure the Reg/rect, (Pics of this to), is right and it will also help us diagnose what you have and what you need.

Pics, Pics and more pics. Doesn't matter if its all in bit we need pics................Some not to close up either.............did i say we need pics:laugh2:

Ya know.... just occurred to me... you started a thread to document all the work you did on your bike... what... 15-20 pages worth of pics and explanations.... got upset and deleted every fuckin' pic and comment you made there... all because you got pissed over a misunderstanding.
And you think I got upset?

Project much... grumpy? :laugh2:
Nope, it wasn't over a misunderstanding at all, it was over some fuckwit telling me hoe dangerous it was to ride a 45 year Old cafe racer through the desert. As I remember, you and a few other fuckwits swallowed that.

But, you carry on picking an argument, show me what a fuckwit you are!

And let's not forget that you started this, all because I dared to disagree with you!

Nope. We've both made my point for me.... I'm done. :smoke:

Apologies to the OP. We ain't usually this bad.

Promise! You keep on playing with yourself, just watch you don't go blind!

Nope, it wasn't over a misunderstanding at all, it was over some fuckwit telling me hoe dangerous it was to ride a 45 year Old cafe racer through the desert. As I remember, you and a few other fuckwits swallowed that.

But, you carry on picking an argument, show me what a fuckwit you are!

And let's not forget that you started this, all because I dared to disagree with you!
Perhaps
You need to bring it down a notch .. Here are extremely experienced and educated people with a professional background working with the hands.
Some know more than the Yamaha factory
Myself being on this type of bike for close to 40 years .. Nothing yet at the shop.
There are different views and no need to react with aggression if you hear something you don't like.
Motorcycling is about freedom to some extent .You wont get many friends bossing people around

here is the elctrical shit not attached to the bike and what it came with , yall can help me sort it out thatd be sweet

Attachments

• 273614355_477631900478415_2715961116208630473_n.jpg
    273614355_477631900478415_2715961116208630473_n.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220219_204048.jpg
    20220219_204048.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220219_204009.jpg
    20220219_204009.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220219_203930.jpg
    20220219_203930.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220219_203902.jpg
    20220219_203902.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220219_203835.jpg
    20220219_203835.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20220219_203818.jpg
    20220219_203818.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220219_195819.jpg
    20220219_195819.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 98
In order of the pics...
Harness
Regulator/rectifier
MikesXS replacement fuse block
Harley Dyna (?) dual coil
Electronic speedo... not sure what brand
Boyer Bransden iggy box
Boyer Bransden trigger plate
Hardtailed XS :sneaky:

In order of the pics...
Harness
Regulator/rectifier
MikesXS replacement fuse block
Harley Dyna (?) dual coil
Electronic speedo... not sure what brand
Boyer Bransden iggy box
Boyer Bransden trigger plate
Hardtailed XS :sneaky:
ive been told i cant run that coil, is that tru

Could you also confirm some info on the carbs....................The top caps on the carbs. Do they have writing on them like this.

Need to identify the carbs. These are 78/79 BS36 carbs...............from what i can see yours look like BS34's and they are on 80 to 84 engines.

They can be put on earlier models but also that engine may be an 80, (just don't know what a PO has done), and that is part of the reson i need a pic of the Charging system under the left side engine cover

1x 78-79 BS38- 1m.jpg

take a pic under the round cover, that has 2 screws holding it on, it has Yamaha written on it, this is on the left side engine cover................... when sitting on the bike

Under this is your charging system. We need to see this to make sure the Reg/rect, is right and it will also help us diagnose what you have and what you need.

This is what it should look like if the factory charging system is still on the bike. Reason i want to see is if it has been changed to a PMA, (dictates what Reg/Rect you should have), and also it will help to eliminate the possibility the engine is an 80...................Posting the engine no, (on the front of the engine down by the front engine mount and it is stamped vertically), we will also be able to tell you what year the engine is
A2E8BD24-4A5A-43AC-A669-C1879CDE1B65.jpeg

The reg/rect has 7 wires........... Yes??

3 yellow
1 blue
1 orange
1 green
1 red

If yes then this is an old one MikesXS used to sell and are now superseded

Confirm and i will post installation instructions.

Don't want to post instructions till its confirmed, in case they are wrong and confuse the situation..............Also mikesXS's instructions, (on his site), are wrong for the Points model Reg/Rect

Harness.
Factory harness's don't sit on the hard-tail frames to good. They are made for the factory frame. Honestly why not use this harness for the bike. If you learn to fit it to get things working, (just don't connect what isn't wanted), then once it is sorted then take it apart and use it for your bike.

Good learning experiance and then you will know your bikes electrics inside and out. Anything goes wrong it will be easy to diagnose

By the way the bike looks good. Never seen a partly finished Hard tail with such a clean engine............If that is any indication then the PO was doing a good job and you may just have a good project

Last edited:
take a pic under the round cover, that has 2 screws holding it on, it has yamaha written on it, this is on the left side engine cover................... when sitting on the bike
Under this is your charging system. We need to see this to make sure the Reg/rect, (Pics of this to), is right and it will also help us diagnose what you have and what you need.
totally forgot to take a pic of that, will do tmrw, i think he said he didnt change it out

Could you also confirm some info on the carbs....................The top caps on the carbs. Do they have writing on them like this.

Need to identify the carbs. These are 78/79 BS36 carbs...............from what i can see yours look like BS34's and they are on 80 to 84 engines.

They can be put on earlier models but also that engine may be an 80, (just don't know what a PO has done), and that is part of the reson i need a pic of the Charging system under the left side engine cover

View attachment 207920

take a pic under the round cover, that has 2 screws holding it on, it has Yamaha written on it, this is on the left side engine cover................... when sitting on the bike

Under this is your charging system. We need to see this to make sure the Reg/rect, is right and it will also help us diagnose what you have and what you need.

This is what it should look like if the factory charging system is still on the bike. Reason i want to see is if it has been changed to a PMA, (dictates what Reg/Rect you should have), and also it will help to eliminate the possibility the engine is an 80...................Posting the engine no, (on the front of the engine down by the front engine mount and it is stamped vertically), we will also be able to tell you what year the engine is
View attachment 207921

The reg/rect has 7 wires........... Yes??

3 yellow
1 blue
1 orange
1 green
1 red

If yes then this is an old one MikesXS used to sell and are now superseded

Confirm and i will post installation instructions.

Don't want to post instructions till its confirmed, in case they are wrong and confuse the situation..............Also mikesXS's instructions, (on his site), are wrong for the Points model Reg/Rect

By the way the bike looks good. Never seen a partly finished Hard tail with such a clean engine............If that is any indication then the PO was doing a good job and you may just have a good project
alrighty, the bikes at my grandparents since they have a heated garage, ill go tmrw take some pics, yea he said he did all new gaskets and shit for the engine showed receipts for it too,yes it has 7 wires, and the carbs are brand new mikuni's not sure what kind but they have been jetted to run those filters, do you know if i need a single or dual throttle cable for these bikes?

Take more pics of the carbs and around them. Fairly close so we can see in that area. May be ablee to identify what you have as well if he has bought new carbs. They look like CV carbs and the only new ones i know of is a swap for Kawasaki CV EX500 carbs and they are still off an older bike.

Back