custom wiring harness vs oem stripped

The carbs are BSs, if they are linked, just the one cable. If not, either two cables or a cable splitter.

Need to identify the carbs. If they are EX500 carbs then they will be linked but also have duel cables.

Like you said before lets get the right information to the newbie. Better to ask and get confirmation with pics before making defining statements that could be wrong or mislead the OP, (unintentionally)

gotcha, the guy is a journey men welder so i trust the welds , and he sold it cause he is moving to the east side of canada and also his wife and kid are wanting to ride on the bike with him , so a solo is no good,

Need to identify the carbs. If they are EX500 carbs then they will be linked but also have duel cables.

Like you said before lets get the right information to the newbie. Better to ask and get confirmation with pics before making defining statements that could be wrong or mislead the OP, (unintentionally)
Do linked carbs have push pull cable system?

Cvk34's from an EX500 use a push pull setup. That is what is on my bike. They are from a 2004 EX500 so not new by any means. Especially since I have had them for almost 10yrs
You have CVK34s on your XS650? They are Keihins not Mikuni BSs

Last edited:
ive been told i cant run that coil, is that tru
Please provide any numbers name and or type that is written if any on the coil
And if any on the red box the latter perhaps we do not need.

Did it come with other ignition parts in a box or so ?

How is the mechanical status of the engine does it turn .Is there compression
Pictures of the spark plugs. ?

Nice demo Jim!! I personally prefer the tape wrapped version: Slide 3 of the Show. Looks like a new old stock original. Maybe that's what I should ave done with the semi-burntout Virago. But then when I finally sell up in about 10 Years I won't care what the new owner finds or says.

Your snip n tuck idea will be great for those who buy a rough barn find and just what to get it going quickly for some immediate fun ...:hump:

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is a mechanical cable driven speedometer from Revival Parts (MikesXS, et al)

Please provide any numbers name and or type that is written if any on the coil
And if any on the red box the latter perhaps we do not need.

Did it come with other ignition parts in a box or so ?

How is the mechanical status of the engine does it turn .Is there compression
Pictures of the spark plugs. ?
so the engine was fully redone, showed me receipts basically a full refresh , its super clean on the insid, the coil is a dyna 3 ohm coil,came with the boyer,spark plug wires, has old place holder plugs just need to buy new ones and wire it up, waiting for my parts to arrive

View attachment 207938
View attachment 207939
This is a mechanical cable driven speedometer from Revival Parts (MikesXS, et al)
Warning on some of these speedometers...............The wiring directions show that there are two grounds, one for the neutral light and one ground for the other lights. Well, the gauges aren't always wired that way inside. Many have been found to not have a true separate ground for the Neutral light.

Scott

I tried the made in China speedometers, the ones that sell in the range £6 - £12. They were complete rubbish e.g. Within a week on the Virago at 50mph an increase in 500rpm would send the speedo up to 80 - 90mph. The Tacho just would not work at all. After trying 2 Chinese Tachos and 2 Speedos I gave up and bought the stainless steel versions which are made in Taiwan. They sell in the UK and the US for approx. £40/US$40. They work well and I now have 3 years on the Taiwanese Tacho and Speedo fitted to the Virago.

No, but both do a similar job so they might be much the same. The Boyer box has five wires - two for the rotor, two for the coils and a link with the kill switch.

I've

Could you also confirm some info on the carbs....................The top caps on the carbs. Do they have writing on them like this.

Need to identify the carbs. These are 78/79 BS36 carbs...............from what i can see yours look like BS34's and they are on 80 to 84 engines.

They can be put on earlier models but also that engine may be an 80, (just don't know what a PO has done), and that is part of the reson i need a pic of the Charging system under the left side engine cover

View attachment 207920

take a pic under the round cover, that has 2 screws holding it on, it has Yamaha written on it, this is on the left side engine cover................... when sitting on the bike

Under this is your charging system. We need to see this to make sure the Reg/rect, is right and it will also help us diagnose what you have and what you need.

This is what it should look like if the factory charging system is still on the bike. Reason i want to see is if it has been changed to a PMA, (dictates what Reg/Rect you should have), and also it will help to eliminate the possibility the engine is an 80...................Posting the engine no, (on the front of the engine down by the front engine mount and it is stamped vertically), we will also be able to tell you what year the engine is
View attachment 207921

The reg/rect has 7 wires........... Yes??

3 yellow
1 blue
1 orange
1 green
1 red

If yes then this is an old one MikesXS used to sell and are now superseded

Confirm and i will post installation instructions.

Don't want to post instructions till its confirmed, in case they are wrong and confuse the situation..............Also mikesXS's instructions, (on his site), are wrong for the Points model Reg/Rect

Harness.
Factory harness's don't sit on the hard-tail frames to good. They are made for the factory frame. Honestly why not use this harness for the bike. If you learn to fit it to get things working, (just don't connect what isn't wanted), then once it is sorted then take it apart and use it for your bike.

Good learning experiance and then you will know your bikes electrics inside and out. Anything goes wrong it will be easy to diagnose

By the way the bike looks good. Never seen a partly finished Hard tail with such a clean engine............If that is any indication then the PO was doing a good job and you may just have a good project
Also question have some shofter assembly stuff in a box what is missing on there either than the lever

Attachments

• received_689421382415928.jpeg
    received_689421382415928.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 101
  • received_523474089082675.jpeg
    received_523474089082675.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 104
  • received_241222048221137.jpeg
    received_241222048221137.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 106
  • received_1661149817594351.jpeg
    received_1661149817594351.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 111
  • received_730689794625884.jpeg
    received_730689794625884.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 117
  • received_1606910133004372.jpeg
    received_1606910133004372.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 107
  • received_637525787468208.jpeg
    received_637525787468208.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 104
  • received_1090821761650779.jpeg
    received_1090821761650779.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 114
Vin # confirms its a Canadian 78SE.

Carbs need some identifying/. The connecting plate is not the same as whats used on XS650 BS38 Carbs.

Why is it different, has the plate been changed or are the carbs from something different i don't know. Maybe someone else will be able to identify and solve the mystery.

Your carbs don't have a throttle/idle adjustment screw on the left carb below the chock/enrich lever. Yours has a feed tube on the choke/enrich side facing the manifold and the black tops look factory??

This makes the jetting an unknown Before any advise taken in that area you need to see what is installed in these carbs and advise used on XS650 factory carbs may not be suitable for your carbs

@5twins will probably be able to identify.

XS650 78/79 BS38 Carbs
1x 78-79 BS38- 1m.jpg
1j 78-79 BS38- 1e.jpg
1l 78-79 BS38- 1g.jpg

Definitely a points, (type B charging system), stator. That Reg/Rect should be right for your bike.

Post #2 has the diagram to wire in your combined SS Reg/Rect.
NOTE; The change of wire colours from the Reg/Rect to factory harness colours. and separate the wires to the 2 Connectors coming off the Factory harness

https://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-in-a-70-79-combined-reg-rect-to-a-points-model-xs650.52339/

6 pin connector
3 yellow to 3 white.........any yellow wire to any white wire
Red to red
Green to black

3 Pin connector
Orange to green
Blue to brown

Hopefully I am wrong but it looks like a Crack Close to a engine mounting point which is fully possible .Loads passing through that area
if it is it can be game over.

1645612714232.png

Looks more like a shadow from the photo flash to me?
Can be right Mr R but picture it appears be taken from the front a bit from the left ( Can be seen on the whole Picture reflections )
So nothing that creates the shadow down there ..can be oily dirt also ..
But as I said I am not sure ..just putting it out here ...Simple to crawl down and check with a knife blade or pointed tool

edit ...perhaps the edge of the stiffener.

Back