custom wiring harness vs oem stripped

Vin # confirms its a Canadian 78SE.

Carbs need some identifying/. The connecting plate is not the same as whats used on XS650 BS38 Carbs.

Why is it different, has the plate been changed or are the carbs from something different i don't know. Maybe someone else will be able to identify and solve the mystery.

Your carbs don't have a throttle/idle adjustment screw on the left carb below the chock/enrich lever. Yours has a feed tube on the choke/enrich side facing the manifold and the black tops look factory??

This makes the jetting an unknown Before any advise taken in that area you need to see what is installed in these carbs and advise used on XS650 factory carbs may not be suitable for your carbs

@5twins will probably be able to identify.

XS650 78/79 BS38 Carbs
View attachment 208131View attachment 208132View attachment 208133

Definitely a points, (type B charging system), stator. That Reg/Rect should be right for your bike.

Post #2 has the diagram to wire in your combined SS Reg/Rect.
NOTE; The change of wire colours from the Reg/Rect to factory harness colours. and separate the wires to the 2 Connectors coming off the Factory harness

https://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-in-a-70-79-combined-reg-rect-to-a-points-model-xs650.52339/

6 pin connector
3 yellow to 3 white.........any yellow wire to any white wire
Red to red
Green to black

3 Pin connector
Orange to green
Blue to brown
A bit confused eith the alternator wiring as it has these colors

Attachments

• 20220219_200247.jpg
    20220219_200247.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 93
Was also told that he bought the carbs with jetting done for an xs650 with those pod filters unsure where he bought them though, does anyone have insight on how to attach the shifter lever , and if anything is missing in the case shown

Are saying the wires don’t have to be connected to the proper colours? Cause the diagram shows it needs to be, its the other 3 colours that don’t ,match up

The alternator wires on the bike appears to be stock Yamaha I believe there was 2 items stock -- 1 regulator + 1 rectifier

Whereas the regulator rectifier according to # 33 picture 3 is a aftermarket replacement 1 item with both regulator + rectifier inside
I have seen the connecting description here on the forum + should come paper with combo

Boy, you are green, lol. The shift lever simply slips on the splined end of that long shaft sticking out of the side of the motor. It is clamped on with a pinch bolt. Make sure it's tight and doesn't wiggle on the splines at all. It can strip them eventually if it's run loose all the time. You do appear to be missing one part though, the shift shaft guard, part #10 below .....

Shift Shaft Reduced.jpg

Shift Shaft Guard2.jpg

InsideLeftCoverClean.jpg

It mounts to these two points .....

GuardMount.jpg

It's pretty important because besides protecting the shift shaft it also traps the alternator wiring harness behind it and keeps it away from the chain. Without it, this might happen .....

CutWiring2.jpg

Also question have some shofter assembly stuff in a box what is missing on there either than the lever
Looks like you have the original seals in there (red seal on clutch rod is a giveaway). One of our more educated gurus spotted the same on my bike. It promptly pooped its oil out after the first ride following long storage.
My advise is to replace them ASAP.

Looks like you have the original seals in there (red seal on clutch rod is a giveaway). One of our more educated gurus spotted the same on my bike. It promptly pooped its oil out after the first ride following long storage.
My advise is to replace them ASAP.
Altough i totally agree with your assumption, i think as a total greenhorn he needs to get these other things right first. The pushrod seals are hard enough to get right the first time for experianced shede tree mechanics. Some one learning about shift shafts are going to be in over their heads.

A bit confused eith the alternator wiring as it has these colors

That is the connector that joins to your Stater................
update
on reflection that is the one that comes from the Stater and joins up to the factory connection that comes from your factory rectifier bolted under the battery box
1645653116280.png

Stater
points stator 3 copy.jpg

Here is a visual of what you need to do with your SS Reg/Rect
On this diagram see where it says couplings.
78_XS650SE copy.jpg

On the factory Wiring Harness/loom
The regulator and rectifier are separate components

1; The coupling the arrow is pointing to, on the left, is in your photo and this goes to the Stater

2; The middle component the arrow is pointing to is your rectifier, (the rectifier is attached under the battery box), this has 5 wires
3 White
1 Red
1 Black

3; On the right is the regulator. This has 3 wires
1 Green
1 Brown
1 Black

Black wires are your Earth/Ground and these go into the loom and connect up to your earth,( - ),side of the battery Both the separate regulator and regulator on the factory set up have an earth wire to them.

You have to change the separate Regulator and regulator to a combined SS Reg/Rect.

NOTE; the difference wording configuration for the separate and combined components, this helps to identify what type of system we talk about.

Here is a diagram of the separate systems, one showing them separate and the other showing a combined Reg/Rect. The combined diagram has a purple line that shows the division of the wires* and how they can be separated to be made up to connect to the couplings, (2; 3) i have pointed out on the Harness/loom diagram
*NOTE; these wires are factory coloured and not the same as your Reg/rect,

NOTE; On the separate regulator and rectifier there is an earth/ground for each separate component........on your combined Reg/Rect their is only one earth/ground (black wire).

When your connecting the Rectifier part of your Reg/Rect it uses 5 wires going to the factory harnes/loom

When you are connecting the Regulator part of the Reg/Rect it only uses 2 wires going to the factory connector on the harness/loom

xs8 78SE crop 2.jpg
80_XS650G copy.jpg

Now go back to my earlier post with the instructions how to connect the SS Reg/Rect, (With the odd couloured wires you have), to the Harness/loom.
Rectifier side of the Reg/rect
3 yellow to 3 white
1 red to 1 red
1 blue to 1 brown
Regulator side of the Reg/Rect
1 orange to one green
1 green to one black
1645657110204.png

from this link
https://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-in-a-70-79-combined-reg-rect-to-a-points-model-xs650.52339/

Last edited:
Back