De-winterizarion?

I sync'd the carbs and it's running much better (obviously). I was able to lower the idle screw a lot more. Still has flat spots, but an XS rider once told me that "you never really get rid of them, you just move them around." So far it's nothing that an extra twist of the wrist can't cure. It does appear to be running lean, based on backfiring. is three-up on jets for pipes and pods really that common? I've read that it is. I'm not chasing peak performance, just a smoother ride.

If you have the stock 1980 BS34 carbs then yes, two or three sizes up on the mains would be common for your mods. That is also usually combined with one up on the pilots, so if you haven't done that too, it could explain your backfiring. There's also an air jet that can be changed, feeding the idle circuit. This is a way to fine tune that circuit as it doesn't have as big an effect as changing the pilot jet itself. So, to get a richness level a little above just the one size larger pilot, but not as much as two pilots up would give, reduce that air jet a size or two.

My rear brake has gone through a few rebuilds, as I have forward controls and am utilizing a pivot. I had to relocate the pivot when I put shortys on and the extension has some flex. It's probably should have been obvious that if the pivot flexes when I press the pedal, I am losing braking power. Well it wasn't obvious to me. I think that's an upgrade i'll put off for a few months. I just want to keep riding!

I use my battery in a home made battery backup unit for my home router. Better to exercise the battery and keep a float on it during the winter months. But after 7 years it was getting a little tired. I thought I could squeeze one more season out of it when I put in back in the bike but I goofed and left the ignition switch on overnight. Dead as a door nail. Have already been out for a few rides before I killed the battery. As to my other post winter maintenance..... Reseated the fuses, lubed cables, checked brake wear, topped up air pressure and check for loose hardware. I try to do the oil change in the fall before I remove the battery. I am a little concerned about the front brake. It still has plenty pad material, but the fluid looks a bit grotty. Brake still works, but I am wondering if it needs some major servicing. Generally, I prefer not to fix things that ain't't broke, but in the case of brakes......

'

Back