Disassembling '78 forks

skyhawk04kilo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to take apart my forks, but I can't get the fork tubes out of the sliders. The manual says to remove the allen bolt at the bottom of the slider, then just pull the fork tube out. I got the bolts loose but they don't come out, they just spin in their holes. Pulling on the fork tubes doesn't do anything. What am I missing? This is a '78 Special.

You will have to remove the fork caps and devise a holding device so the internals of the forks do not move when you turn the bottom bolt. The device could be as simple as a long flat blade screw driver or a long socket extension with a hex head socket that fits your internals. Do some research there should be threads upon this subject. I am tearing mine apart today. Good luck Tony C

Last edited:
couple years ago when i first rebuild the shocks i used a wooden handle shaved a lil. but i have made a shock tool it is a 2 1/2 foot steel rod with a 17mm bolt welded to the end of it. you will see if you get it apart that inside is the same as the 17mm bolt head.
hold the rod still and undo the allen bolt.
full

full

Jesus, whoever wrote the Clymer manual should be shot. Nothing in there at all about having to hold onto something inside the fork with a tool. It just says "remove the bolt". Fuck Clymer, I'm going with Haynes from now on!

If you have access to an air impact wrench that works the easiest. You don't need to hold the inside tube. I took an old spare allen wrench the correct size and cut it off long enough so it would reach the bolt on the bottom of the fork then I put a socket on the impact that fit the allen wrench and it came right out.

Georelle

If you have access to an air impact wrench that works the easiest. You don't need to hold the inside tube. I took an old spare allen wrench the correct size and cut it off long enough so it would reach the bolt on the bottom of the fork then I put a socket on the impact that fit the allen wrench and it came right out.

Georelle

you wer lucky i tryed that 1st :banghead:

- if you dont have a welder handy that tool can be made with some threaded rod, loctite and 17mm nuts...needs to be about 40-50cm long - to reach into the compressed fork

forkdamper.jpg

A simple holding tool for the early forks can be made out of a length of 1/4" rod. Besides the flats at the top there is also a pin through the rod about 3/8" down inside. Pound the end of the steel rod flat with a hammer and jam it down into the top of the damper rod between the pin and outer wall .....

77ForkTool.jpg

77ToolInserted.jpg

Bend the other end of the rod over and you have a simple, effective holding tool .....

77ToolInserted2.jpg

Back