disc to drum conversion

sweatybetty89

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
been looking on line to find what it takes to put a drum brake on the front end of my 77 xs650 and not seeing any info for real. if any one has some i could use it. I believe i may need to change the forks but am not totally sure.

been looking on line to find what it takes to put a drum brake on the front end of my 77 xs650 and not seeing any info for real. if any one has some i could use it. I believe i may need to change the forks but am not totally sure.

Hi sweaty,
swapping a drum brake front wheel into '77 front forks takes some fiddling but can be done.
Swapping to drum brake forks involves swapping in their smaller diameter triple trees.
What you'll mostly need to change is your riding style to suit your bike's .WAY longer braking distance.

been looking on line to find what it takes to put a drum brake on the front end of my 77
What kinda front drum have you in mind?
Early XS650 drums are quite expensive.
As are the perhaps even cooler Suzuki drums.
Either way, it's a custom adapt. Great idea tho.

I found a yamaha rim with drum brake that is not too expensive. Not exactly sure what it came off of or what it's specs are but trying to figure out what it will take. The xs1 front rims are not cheap by no means. The one I found is a 18 x 3.00 rim. I can maybe get pic perhaps we could identify it

Back