Does Ignitech make a programmable CDI/TCI box for our platform?

Signal

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Buzzword I started this thread to answer your question and avoid clutter on the Gonzo Box ignition thread.

Ignitech ignitions are an off the shelf fully programmable ignition box. I think of it like the Arduino of ignitions.
They are good and can be configured for use on 2 and 4 strokes and many engine configurations. There are a lot of race bikes running them here

I started looking at them as an alternative ignition for rephased motors. Back then there was no off the shelf configured units for the XS 650.

The drawback is that they are rather pricy as you still need to supply a pickup and coil and XS 650’s even the hot racing engines don’t need an all signing dancing ignition. They probably would benefit from it but I doubt it would be dramatic.

Buzzword I started this thread to answer your question and avoid clutter on the Gonzo Box ignition thread.

Ignitech ignitions are an off the shelf fully programmable ignition box. I think of it like the Arduino of ignitions.
They are good and can be configured for use on 2 and 4 strokes and many engine configurations. There are a lot of race bikes running them here

I started looking at them as an alternative ignition for rephased motors. Back then there was no off the shelf configured units for the XS 650.

The drawback is that they are rather pricy as you still need to supply a pickup and coil and XS 650’s even the hot racing engines don’t need an all signing dancing ignition. They probably would benefit from it but I doubt it would be dramatic.

Please give more info ... regarding experiences if possible .. what parts and if knowledge what system are working and quality
How do you use them / program.
Will it last for street use for many years.
I once got a price quote but to me then it was a new unknown company. A bit on the expensive side but not so chocking.
Please give info if knowledge what it might cost. But since no info was available I went for Boyer system then.
Which is sensitive.

Nice. I used one on my hot-rodded XR650L, worked great. Hardest part was finding someone with a PC that would accept both a CD-ROM and a serial cable to make mapping changes on the CDI box itself.

CBB23F84-6EE7-4BA1-B56C-4FBEE9BB6A8B.jpeg
9ACF0A3A-B7E2-4DC3-B75B-9C5259ECA019.jpeg

only kinda miss that bike.

If you Email Ignitech they will confirm whether or not they have the programming done for an XS650. I am sure they must have done one of these by now.

Several months back I purchased the Ignitech for a Virago XV1000. It is working well and the most noticeable benefit is the fuel efficiency went from approximately 45 mpg to 60 mph routinely. I would play with the programming but I do not know what half the parameters mean. At some point I will need to replace the Carburetor vacuum gauge with a modern boost gauge and then I will have to alter the programming. But let's hope I never have to.

i have one for my tdm850 , was a off the shelf preprogramed unit that they programed for my bike .. its great though i havnt changed the programing , about a yr or so ago asked about the xs650 and was told they had one for it but not for the rephased .. besides mine have heard nothing but good reports about them ...comparing to pamco , yes exie but compared to a lot of the other electronic igns , cheap

For the stock TCI XS650s using the existing pickup you would be able to add a pressure sensor to create a map of Carburetor Vacuum v's rpm. On Ignitech's website they show a pressure sensor that would be suitable for the XS650, you could call it a vacuum sensor if you want and it goes from zero (full vacuum) to atmospheric pressure. But you do not have to use a vacuum sensor, you could also use a throttle position sensor by a simple click on the options in the program.

I wonder what mpg an XS650 will give with a pressure or throttle position sensor added? I used to get 65ish mpg (Imperial), perhaps this would go up to 70 - 80 mpg.

GNITECH - Jiří Krejzl <ignitech@ignitech.cz>
Tue 2021-12-07 9:41 AM

Hello,

We made it for one our customer. He wanted this pulse rotor (diameter 70 mm). He mounted it to crankshaft. We have no next information. He probably run engine without alternator.
I will send your e-mail address to he for some advices if it is possible.

We can offer programmable unit TCIP4 (150 USD) with reduced basic harness (3 USD), pickup IP6 (15 USD), pulse rotor (5 USD). Unit will be preprogrammed for work with this pickup system. Recommended accessories is USB/COM cable for connection with PC (13 USD).

You can to use original ignition coil or similar. We can offer ignition coil IC-TCI-S (30 USD each).

Freightage DHL is 42 USD.
Payment method is card payment or PayPal.
If you want it - send me your delivery address for invoice. We will also need to know your phone number for forwarder.

Regards.

Jiri Krejzl
IGNITECH

Great you are going for it please post up your work, Is that quote for a standard or rephased ignition. When I was looking at them I thought for a rephased ignition two pick ups and coils were required, like the Ducati V twin system.

A wasted spark on a rephased 270 degree motor will work but will be down on power, a racer I know did this on a classic brit bike , changed to separate coils and it worked as it should. I dont know if a wasted spark would even run on a 277 degree rephase.

Last edited:
Great you are going for it please post up your work, Is that quote for a standard or rephased ignition. When I was looking at them I thought for a rephased ignition two pick ups and coils were required, like the Ducati V twin system.

A wasted spark on a rephrased 270 degree motor will work but will be down on power, a racer I know did this on a classic brit bike , changed to separate coils and it worked as it should. I dont know if a wasted spark would even run on a 277 degree rephrase.
my understanding is you use only one pick up which they can supply but they are recommending a crank triger vs cam, the ECM has to be calibrated for the firing order, im looking at a flywheel option or maybe a stock stator for the triger

The earlier, carburetted SS/ Monster 600/ 750/ 900 did indeed have 2 pickups. But the fuel injected SS/ Monster/ ST2 models had only 1 sensor. And replacing the stock ECU with carbs and an Ignitech ignition controller is possible using the single OEM pickup

I am of a fan of the Gonzo ignition for most XS 650 applications but remain very interested in Ignitech as an option to use with methanol. Methanol I have read requires accurate timing and the flexibility of the Ignitech would allow changes to be done almost on the fly with the bike on the dyno.

I have the Ignitech on the Virago and with the engine running you can plug in a laptop and change things very easily. It has a setting to add or subtract a couple of degrees timing to each cylinder independently.

Back