Doms XS650B US import

Looks great! I found that after doing a few it got much easier. The last set I trued again after I mounted my tire and it didn’t need much. I also noticed I had alternately showing threads but never had any issues. You are really enjoying yourself too which makes everything worth it.

Wheel lacing went well but I've got a slight problem, on the rear I have the odd spoke that is showing too much thread but I dont see a way of removing the visible thread as it's done up tight. On the front I have too much thread on nearly all spokes so have spoke to Central Wheel Components who say I have definitely got the right size spokes.
Any idea why this might be or is it just one of those things with aftermarket spokes?

Photo of the odd spoke showing more thread than those around it.
Did you check to see if they are all in tune?
Check again in a week, there may be some settling in.

Who'd have thought in less than a week I'd have removed both wheels, tyres and all spokes to return them to CWC! They'd sent me straight gauge spokes and of the wrong length so I'm back at square one, still I enjoyed the process the first time around so armed with the knowledge gained I'll be able to do it with a beer this time.

Fuel tank and side covers have gone back to be repainted after the lacquer remained so soft I could leave finger prints in it if pressed hard.

Some time this summer I'll get it on the road!

Who'd have thought in less than a week I'd have removed both wheels, tyres and all spokes to return them to CWC! They'd sent me straight gauge spokes and of the wrong length so I'm back at square one, still I enjoyed the process the first time around so armed with the knowledge gained I'll be able to do it with a beer this time.

Fuel tank and side covers have gone back to be repainted after the lacquer remained so soft I could leave finger prints in it if pressed hard.

Some time this summer I'll get it on the road!
Always a few setbacks during a rebuild Dom; it strengthens your character and resolve.
Keep up the good work.
Ads.

1681591759532.jpeg
:lmao:

Several of us have obtained gauge decals from UK Ebayer

classic_gauges​

I don't know what's up with him as I don't see any gauge listings atm (??)

Several of us have obtained gauge decals from UK Ebayer

classic_gauges​

I don't know what's up with him as I don't see any gauge listings atm (??)
Yes I had one but the quality was rubbish, there was marks under the top layer of vinyl and the ignition hole was too small which he said was how they are and I'd need to trim it to fit. Also they rely on the original aluminium trim being in good flat condition in order that they adhere to it.

Oops, I've neglected to balance the wheels
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Might be in a minority of one here but I've never had a problem with an out of balance wheel. Had it 'splained to me by a guy who learned about wheels and harmonics and the dynamic forces that can be applied to them and he said it was all to do the square root of ell over gee where gee is gravity and ell is the diameter no in fact it's radius which meant in the case of motorcycles we shouldn't worry about runaway wheel wobble caused by out of balance wheels. Though it it's bad enough it will cause vibration we can feel.

I can't remember the detailed arithmetic, probably never met it. But I've never known a wheel vibrate so bad it was noticeable.

So now I don't even get the wheel balancing done which saves those annoying wheel weights that disfigure your beautiful alloy rims.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Might be in a minority of one here but I've never had a problem with an out of balance wheel. Had it 'splained to me by a guy who learned about wheels and harmonics and the dynamic forces that can be applied to them and he said it was all to do the square root of ell over gee where gee is gravity and ell is the diameter no in fact it's radius which meant in the case of motorcycles we shouldn't worry about runaway wheel wobble caused by out of balance wheels. Though it it's bad enough it will cause vibration we can feel.

I can't remember the detailed arithmetic, probably never met it. But I've never known a wheel vibrate so bad it was noticeable.

So now I don't even get the wheel balancing done which saves those annoying wheel weights that disfigure your beautiful alloy rims.
I can always revisit the balancing should I find it an issue, its not like I'm going to be riding it like I stole it is it!

Back