Downeaster's Tractor Overhaul Thread.

Don't I know it!

Dad could back a hay wagon into the barn with 6 inches of clearance, first shot, with a hand clutch John Deere and no power steering.

If I was REAL lucky, I could hit the broad side of the barn. If I didn't jackknife it first.
A guy I worked with who grew up on a farm could back up a four wheel trailer being towed by an articulated front end loader. Some people just seem to be born with a talent like that. Also knew a guy who could tow a 25 foot camping trailer down the road, stop at the end of his drive and back it in then make a 90º turn in to his garage without hardly stopping.

I'm an idiot...but we knew that.

All I have to do is attach a trailer hitch coupler to the bumper on the Shibaura, dropped down a few inches.

Then back up to it with Guido, lift the trailer ball on his 3 point into the couple on the Shibaura, lift the front wheels off the ground and Bob's yer uncle!

I'm an idiot...but we knew that.

All I have to do is attach a trailer hitch coupler to the bumper on the Shibaura, dropped down a few inches.

Then back up to it with Guido, lift the trailer ball on his 3 point into the couple on the Shibaura, lift the front wheels off the ground and Bob's yer uncle!

Nope - not an idiot....just a little too close to the problem for a little while. All you needed to do was take a couple steps back, sit and ruminate on the matter and there ya go!

hitch1.jpg

The hitch receiver mounted to the front bumper of the tractor. I had to go with a "male" receiver as I didn't have any appropriate size square tubing to do it the traditional way.

hitch2.jpg

The towbar pinned to the receiver.

hitch3.jpg

The tractor hooked to the towing tractor and lifted enough for the front tires to clear the ground. If you look closely, you'll see I added some braces to the receiver. As soon as I lifted it the first time, it was immediately apparent that things were going to bend if I didn't brace it.

Everything is bolted on so if I find a rear end for it, I can return it to stock.

Works like a champ!

Hah, you thought this thread was dead, din't ya.

So doing my usual morning "slurp cawfee and cruise Craigslist" routine this morning and spotted a John Deere LA about 15 miles from here. For those that don't do tractors, that's a 1940's vertical 2 cylinder aimed at VERY small farmers and truck garden operations. 12 HP flat-head gasser, basically an overgrown, overbuilt garden tractor.

In and of itself, the tractor doesn't really interest me, tho they do have something of a collector following. Advertised as loose but not running, starter ring gear shot, governor stuck etc. etc. but "easy fix". Where have I heard that one before?

However, in my devious, warped little mind, it strikes me that it might be a transplant candidate for that dandy 2 cylinder diesel out of the Shibaura. Now a diesel LA would be cool! If I can get a response out of the guy, I'm at least going to take a tape measure and go look at it. I have a BFH and a welder, I can MAKE the engine fit, I'm more concerned about the tires and wheels. The perfect situation would be to put the wheels and tires, or at least the tires, off the Shibby on it.

Or not...

Lets just say some folks shouldn't be allowed to have a welder.

With the pipe frame, making the engine fit would've been fairly simple. Unfortunately, the transmission mounts directly to the rear end and would've been PAINFULLY slow behind a diesel.

The real deal-breaker tho was the rear rims. Split-ring truck rims with the rings WELDED to the rim, and a 6-on-6 hub that would have been impossible to match up.

He wasn't about to move on the price either and it's essentially worth scrap prices in it's current condition.

I'll keep looking.

Split-ring truck rims with the rings WELDED to the rim,
E0E9380F-C333-49A3-903D-F02E87C4CAE5.jpeg

During my misspent youth, when I was working in a fleet garage as a welder, occasionally I had to fill in busting tires in the tire bay. I learned to HATE split ring rims! :mad: Those things will kill you. I never had one blow up on me, but another guy in our shop did, it missed his head by inches and scared him half to death.

So...Plan (I've lost count...)

Another of my acquaintances that has a finely tuned ability to break an anvil with a rubber hammer has a clapped out John Deere 455. That's a diesel/hydro with shaft drive and full hydraulics, plus a front PTO. The 3 cylinder Yanmar in it is wore plumb out, there ain't an intact piece of plastic on it anywhere, the wiring is a rats nest and it's set dead out in the weather for 3-4 years.

AFAIK, the transmission and rear end is good and the frame would make it relatively simple to change engines. The only fly in that ointment is that the trans drives from the crank snout (engine is mounted bass-ackwards, flywheel in the front) so that'd take some fancy machining.

He accepted my offer of $150 cash and free repair of a backpack blower. He also has a 60" mower deck and a power broom that go with it. I have no need/desire for them so I'll list them on Craigslist and give him whatever I get for them.

May or may not make sense for a project, but I have no doubt I'll be able to part it out and make a couple of bucks if nothing else.

Back