Dreaded Cam Chain Guide

Yes 5T I am fully prepared to live without the Park function, I have ended up with a dead battery or two through the years on Hondas by turning the switch in the wrong direction thinking it was off but it was really in the park mode. Of course I used to drink back in those days also. I have already checked the tail light wired into on/off toggle, works great.

What is that park mode for anyway? That's when u turn the ignition the other way and the tail light comes on right? Why is that a function what is the use of it?

Did a head re-torque this morning and the arse end was dismantled. I thought I was going to have to order a kit for the rear master cylinder, but a good cleaning brought it back to life. Now comes the cleaning, taping, painting and all the fun stuff. I also temporarily put the stator cover back on today and hooked up the clutch cable, actually feels decent, of course the test will be going around the block. I did ride the bobber to pick up some goodies, the parts store is 3 miles away, plenty long enough ride for my back.....

Attachments

• IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    548.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    506.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 61
Now is when you begin to look for that bag of marked screws for that ???? You know you put them?????? I even picked up a set of stock pipes in fairly decent condition. Moving along, but for every little victory you find 10 more things that need your attention.....

Attachments

• IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    495.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 64
Got a rear end with good brakes using all of the original parts from the master cylinder and caliber. Of course the grease gun got called into action for the rear caliber to break it free, messy but it works every time. The PO must have been really kool, I found flames today when I started sanding the tank.....

Attachments

• IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    560.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 62
We went around the neighborhood a couple of times this afternoon and everything stayed inside the motor, so I must have gotten lucky. The bike runs great, but there is still a lot to finish up. I have to order a front tire and do the forks to include front brakes. Damned if I didn't scratch the tank clear coat when trying to get the seat on, oh well it is good for you to cuss a little now and then. Should finish up in the next week or two and post it for sale, hopefully to re-coup at least some of my mad money. Thanks again to all to gave help, couldn't have done it without you......

Attachments

• DSC04969.JPG
    DSC04969.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC04968.JPG
    DSC04968.JPG
    477.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC04970.JPG
    DSC04970.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 60
my guide has a bunch of chunks missing. I cleaned out the black sliver pieces out of the sump, but what does one do to find the rest in the motor? don;t really want to split the cases

As Marty said, the guide debris should mostly get caught by the sump screen - unless it was ripped. In that case some of it may have passed through the pump and then get caught by the secondary screen before continuing on to any passages. If there was a lot of junk on the secondary screen, it would be "thorough" to check the pump surfaces. The rubber and aluminum from the guide are softer than the pump surfaces. Going further probably is not warranted given the info at present.
1682811409522.jpeg

Still waiting to finish up the front end, in particular, the brakes. I tried a good cleaning and reassembly of the of the master cylinder and caliber with the old parts, but no go. (The old fill in the pitting of the caliber piston with JB Weld did not work.) A kit and new piston are on order and should be here by mid week. I had ordered a piston over 12 days ago from a vendor on the West Coast and it has yet to show or have the tracking updated, my opinion of the USPS grows a little dimmer each day. I have taken the bike out a few more times and I must say it runs well, no hesitation through the gears and shifts smooth. I want to do a few more miles and change the oil to get the assembly lube gone, do the brakes, and hopefully list it by the end of next week.....

As Marty said, the guide debris should mostly get caught by the sump screen - unless it was ripped. In that case some of it may have passed through the pump and then get caught by the secondary screen before continuing on to any passages. If there was a lot of junk on the secondary screen, it would be "thorough" to check the pump surfaces. The rubber and aluminum from the guide are softer than the pump surfaces. Going further probably is not warranted given the info at present.
View attachment 241678
thank you for the clarification. Pulkled the guide today. The plastic lining came off almost entirely and I recovered it. Using this situation as an opportunity to up the displacement, add Shell #1 cam, clean the head.

Back