Drilled out mag wheels

T6h6o6r

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey y'all I just wanted to share a few pics of the drill job I just finished today on my front mag wheel.
IMG_20220829_233020.jpg
IMG_20220829_233134.jpg
Picsart_22-08-29_23-40-37-564.jpg

Obviously needs to be painted still, but I'll probably wait until after I finish drilling the rear and paint them both at the same time. Hopefully I'll have the rear done soon, I'll post some pics when I finish that one too. Gotta get the tire swapped on the front before I put it back on the bike, that's the main holdup right now.

Looks great but how has that affected the structural integrity of the wheel? Maybe our resident engineer will chime in?

Damn Gary I really like the looks of those! Are those yours? The white paint job makes it even more striking! Although if it was me I would have added some accents of another color. But then again, me and white anything never really get along lol...

looks good! how'd you line up the holes?
I took some measurements and made a small cardboard template that fit snugly into the area between the splines, then center punched it and used a stepped drill bit to get the different sized holes. Then at the end I went back and counter sunk all the holes to get that beveled look. Some of the spots that had writing cast into the wheel didn't take the counter sink as nicely as I would have liked but then again I'm a perfectionist lol.

Damn Gary I really like the looks of those! Are those yours? The white paint job makes it even more striking! Although if it was me I would have added some accents of another color. But then again, me and white anything never really get along lol...
A decade old post by @punkskaller

Really! Surely it does, I'm happy to be wrong but I can't see how taking material out wouldn't weaken them.

define weaken... Detrimental to the performance of the wheel as intended? Reduction of safety to the wheel? holes in the webbing are almost always fine so long as they don't get close to the flanges and aren't towards the end of a cantilever, as the load is not carried through the thin member of this type of construction.

so long as the holes are round and stress risers are removed, you have nothing to worry about. The problems start coming into play when you touch the flanges or embed any kind of notch.

sorry, i hit reply before typing everything out and you beat me to a response. in this case, weakening should be a function of the intended use. Holes are absolutely permitted within a webbing on structural members. You can't go carte blanche, but overall, the webbing does not contribute nearly as much to the resistance to loading as the flanges. I'd have to dust off my structures math to show you in more depth, but I don't know where i put the blower....

"IMHO" drilled mag wheels are totally unsafe at speed or even just sitting still. It`s never been reported but I`m sure there are instances where they have completely disintegrated and killed the both the rider and innocent bystanders as well or simply crumbling while the bike is parked causing great damage to the bike and nearby object`s. These should be destroyed at once before the Mag Wheel Police move in and arrest everyone involved in making a mag wheel unsafe to the motoring public.:yikes:

"IMHO" drilled mag wheels are totally unsafe at speed or even just sitting still. It`s never been reported but I`m sure there are instances where they have completely disintegrated and killed the both the rider and innocent bystanders as well or simply crumbling while the bike is parked causing great damage to the bike and nearby object`s. These should be destroyed at once before the Mag Wheel Police move in and arrest everyone involved in making a mag wheel unsafe to the motoring public.:yikes:
It's ok, my wheels identify as safe wheels, no need to investigate

Safety issue or not they could cost an arm and a leg..........

Imagine a $100,000.00 car turns in front of you and you dam smack into the center of it..........Both insurence companies fight it out............The other insurence company finds out you drilled holes into the wheels. .................The blame gets shifted from who is right, to the blame of an unsafe and altered vehicle should not be on the road...........Your insurance company says yep you made the bike unsafe so we wont cover the accident............ They will use any excuse to wriggle out of paying up

Even if you in the right the bike is illegal and insurence companies being insurance companies...........well

Back