Drive chain O ring or not.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have to buy a couple of sprockets and chain for the TX, just wondering if a 530 O ring will fit OK? I threw the original away when I tore the bike down so can't remember if it was a 520 or 530. Looks like there's plenty of room, just checking.

On a previous build, Triumph, I bought an O ring but it wouldn't fit.

I'm really pissed off at the moment, dropped an Allen key on my beautiful tank, little dent just behind the cap. I spent nearly a whole day buffing and polishing it, came up like glass. Now I have to repaint it. Grrrr!

Last edited:
How many links, 120 I believe?
104 seems seems to be required for a standard bike.
Capture.PNG

Yep, 530 x 104 will do it. IMHO non-O-ring is good on a bike intended for lower miles, the O-ring a little harder to work with, but good for longevity.

I'm anal, but I insist on riveted master-link chain.

Yes, an o-ring chain will fit just fine as long as you retain the original 17T front sprocket size. If you switch to an 18T, there can be clearance issues.

Modern 520 x-ring is far stronger than requirements for 70 hp engine--just take a gander at some bikes that use it. It's lighter, too, and requires less maintenance than unsealed chain. Do not grease, and be sure that any lubricant applied is labeled O ring safe. I use DuPont Chain Saver, a Teflon laced dry wax spray. Some guys like it and some don't, but unlike oily-greasy stuff it sheds grit instead of accumulating it. Chain needed adjustment at around 700 miles, give or take a few at any given session.

Back