Drum brake fit mag wheel???

roadstar06

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is it possible to or did yamaha ever use a drum brake on the mag wheel?? thought I saw a pic of it on some site, I would rather go with drum in rear easier install??

One year, only. Switching brake styles means you'll need the swingarm for the brake type desired also (easy).....or the ability to adapt it (not so easy).

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43489

You might check the classifieds here......

...............easier install though????? They each have their own tribulations....but practice does make perfect. :twocents:

One year, only. Switching brake styles means you'll need the swingarm for the brake type desired also (easy).....or the ability to adapt it (not so easy).
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43489
You might check the classifieds here......
...............easier install though????? They each have their own tribulations....but practice does make perfect. :twocents:

Hi NONclow,
adapting is easy enough, it took Mr. Bodger mebbe a half-hour to make the tab and weld it on.
Mind you, I did have a drum-brake swingarm available to copy.
But the ease of install thing?
Roadstar, install into WHAT, exactly?

The pivot for the brake pedal differs as well. The bracket on the back is different compared to the disc version. It has to hook onto and pull a long brake rod instead of pushing a short pin into a MC.

ok, to try and explain myself ...I bought a nos mag rim off ebay yesterday..nothing on it/no sprocket /drum or rotor...getting a hardtail frame made by Factory Metalworks...I am mec inclined NOT a mech or fab guy but also not an idiot(sometimes)..only plan on 1 brake setup in rear no front brake (idiot)..so Q:is it easier to run a drum? or rotor (install)

ok, to try and explain myself ...I bought a nos mag rim off ebay yesterday..nothing on it/no sprocket /drum or rotor...getting a hardtail frame made by Factory Metalworks...I am mec inclined NOT a mech or fab guy but also not an idiot(sometimes)..only plan on 1 brake setup in rear no front brake (idiot)..so Q:is it easier to run a drum? or rotor (install)

Hi roadstar,
if the mag rim you bought is really an XS650 rear (E-Bay sellers sometimes don't know what they got)
it'll take a 16" tire and if it don't have the brake drum cast into itself it's a disk rear anyway.
XS650 stock rear disk & rear drum wheels & torque stays are just about the same to install.
A drum's lever is easier to fit than a disk's hydraulics.
OTOH a disk brake works better than a drum brake.
And negatory death wish.
"Mommy, why are the first responders hosing blood off the street?"
"Because the bike didn't have a front brake"

...getting a hardtail frame made by Factory Metalworks...

If it's still "being made", for a little extra $ have them put provisions (mounts) for a master cyl (stock ones are readily available and generally easier to get parts for....:wink2:) and possibly fab up a pedal/linkage assembly.

As for "proper" brakes......It's YOUR hide/ride bro :bike:

XS650 Rear drum brake wheels, be it from a spoke hub or mag wheel, the brake plate will interchange.

How sellers get away with selling a hub, or mag wheel without the plate i cannot understand. Those brake plates are getting more rare by the day............... like buying a good set of carbs, just need to get some slides.............. Sellers are preying on the ignorance of the buyers........................

Ask here before buying anything and you will save money.

If i was going to go rear brake only, (no i wouldn't because...........), i would have a drum brake. At least it can be set so it wont lock up............ Once a wheel has locked up it has lost traction and control, meaning it will stop slower, (than the graph shows), and will end up where the bike wants to go.
full

And your point is.....?
not because it looks cool, I havent figured out how I'm going to run mag in front with brake on a springer ! I want to be able to stop in a hurry if need be! I dont own a welder or plasma cutter! have to find something that will just bolt up...at this point I don't even know how caliper is mounted up front. don't want to use spokes in front and mag in back, I jumped the gun when I bought the rear mag NOS, can't afford 120 buck down the drain!:banghead::banghead:

Brakes on a springer, both drum and disc have been done for years.
Search on here fore that or on the web.
Look in most any aftermarket catalog. they have tons of brakes for springers.
Leo

Sorry but when you say you only intend to run the rear brake I took you literally....

I appreciate that you wouldn't want to mix alloy with spoked but don't understand why an alloy wheel would be any more or less difficult to mount than a spoked wheel.
I don't have any experience with springers but appreciate that mounting a calliper isn't straightforward.
I found this which is one solution, not the most pretty IMHO and another here which looks much better.

I don't think you will find a bolt up solution as the bracket for the calliper stay would need to be welded to the forks.
The calliper carrier however would not be beyond a home project albeit involving a fair bit of work with drill, saw and file.
Alternatively could something like this be adapted to your set-up?
Other options here
but perhaps a bit pricy.
A fair bit cheaper here but in the UK

Thanks guys! Just ordered a might welder (harbor freight) on sale! Going to need it I'm sure when frame arrives to mount tabs for brakes and seat.. Still under 1500 buck so far for what I've got..

Thanks guys! Just ordered a might welder (harbor freight) on sale! Going to need it I'm sure when frame arrives to mount tabs for brakes and seat.. Still under 1500 buck so far for what I've got..

Hi roadstar,
if this is your first welding machine best you weld up lotsa garbage can stands, bicycle racks and garden ornaments before you weld up anything that you risk your life on.
BTW, about brakes on wire wheels vs cast wheels, XS650 fronts mount their disks in exactly the same way so there ain't no difference.
And EXACTLY what rear wheel did you end up with?
You can always re-sell it, eh?

I wanted to go with the mag for one simple reason.. Less time cleaning! My 06 roadster was a bit of work, whenever I want to go for a scoot had to wipe whole bike down first.. Now lazier than ever I just wanted to get on and go!

Back