Drum Brake to Disc Conversion

rasco

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've currently got a 1980 XS650 that I have hard-tailed with a Voodoo Vintage kit. I'm really keen on swapping out the rear drum brake to a disc setup. I'm currently looking at the cognito moto one. I am not sure if it will directly replace the drum setup or I will need different length spokes, or if I can use the stock bearings and spacers. If anyone has experience with this rear hub or any other options I would love to hear it.

Thanks.

The '80 S II with a drum brake and 16" spoke rim?
That hub will work. It'll use stock sprocket and bearings, but you'll need a 36 hole 16" rim (IDK if OEM was 36 hole). I suggest you have Cognito make a spoke set for you (it'll come from Buchanan's). They spec a Ducati type rotor and Brembo caliper. You'll likely have to make some spacers to get correct fit on the Voodoo axle plates and weld a bracket for the brake anchor rod

Last edited:
The '80 S II with a drum brake and 16" spoke rim?
That hub will work. It'll use stock sprocket and bearings, but you'll need a 36 hole 16" rim (IDK if OEM was 36 hole). I suggest you have Cognito make a spoke set for you (it'll come from Buchanan's). They spec a Ducati type rotor and Brembo caliper. You'll likely have to make some spacers to get correct fit on the Voodoo axle plates and weld a bracket for the brake anchor rod

The Cognito kit is a direct replacement that uses the standard XS650 bearings and axle. It’s designed for the standard swing arm. I bought the hub assembly which came with a calliper carrier I couldn’t use. My bike has a Radian swing arm conversion with a small diameter axle. Had a bugger of a time getting it to work. Also had to get a rim drilled to match the hub and a set of stainless DB spokes. Best to buy a complete built wheel from Cognito, and use their brake fittings where possible. Save time and money. @JesseeS did this on his build.

The Cognito kit is a direct replacement that uses the standard XS650 bearings and axle. It’s designed for the standard swing arm. I bought the hub assembly which came with a calliper carrier I couldn’t use. My bike has a Radian swing arm conversion with a small diameter axle. Had a bugger of a time getting it to work. Also had to get a rim drilled to match the hub and a set of stainless DB spokes. Best to buy a complete built wheel from Cognito, and use their brake fittings where possible. Save time and money. @JesseeS did this on his build.

Thanks for the advice, I think im just going to stick with the drums for now!

After spending months pestering others on here with similar questions, there are two "easier" options.

1. the stock mag disc wheel works nicely, and you can opt for the stock caliper setup or use the Pandemonium setup and a front rotor for more braking power.

2. Harley rear disc wheels can fit with a bearing swap (if its a sealed bearing wheel). you can run the 11" HD rotor with the Pandemonium kit, and get the correct sprocket from Mr. Lucky's. After doing the math, this was still less expensive for me than the cognito setup.

Here's a link, and you can see it installed on my build page (on the stock mag for now)
LINK

I am using a Radian swingarm with a standard axl. I had the swingarm and spacer bored and milled to fit the axle. I am using a KZ750 hub. The only disk brake spoke I know of. I made the caliper bracket.
B2240915-4399-4E69-8929-E844261051DF.jpeg
D4F88C5F-73A1-4E5C-96A0-7D4D57EF4C43.jpeg

Back