Dust control

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Morning guys. Since my garage is undergoing a sort of “conversion” right now I’ve had to adjust and examine a few things. When I retired the wife agreed to start parking outside so I could utilize more garage space for my tools, machines and the varied number of Motorcycles sharing the space at any given time creates a few issues. My biggest issue I deal with is dust. Whether it be wood, metal or everyday dirt that blows in or just settles out of the air. I do a lot of sanding, wood and metal and now that I can no longer do a lot of those things outdoors to minimize my impact I had to come up with a solution. Recently when I re-did my wheels, sanding the aluminum created a lot of black dust. Probably metal and abrasive dust but the point being Even using a vacuum while sanding was not enough so I went and picked up this little jewel to start. 948DCCE6-315F-4510-9F31-D7EA269BADE8.jpeg
That was a major 1st step and now I’m assembling a downdraft table for sanding over.

I wanted to use up scrap I had lying around so I started the box frame and installed my dust ramp.A0AD5495-326B-4F73-98F4-98AC4C3D458A.jpeg
I plan on installing 4” fitting at the bottom of the ramp and the top will be like so.08EB68A5-587F-4C2C-9584-A697CAD007F6.jpeg

Got the fitting installed and caulked inimage.jpg
Hooked up and running. Just gotta try it out.image.jpg
It works! image.jpg I made some gates to cut down on area as well

Nice! I've been seeing several smaller dust collection systems on Craigslist and resisting the urge to get one. Maybe I should re-think that.

My neighbor is quite the amateur woodworker. In his basement shop, he has a dust collector, with all the major tools plumbed into it. As an electrical engineer, he has the collector wired so it starts whenever he turns on any of the tools. Very little mess!

I got just a small amount of fine dust but that’s to be expected in any shop setting. Downeaster I picked this on up off FB Marketplace very reasonable. Notice I got one with a 1 micron filter vs the bag set-up which only does 5 microns. It makes a huge difference and the filter is cleanable. Now I just need to fab up some chutes for my miter saw and router sled. I made this nice work table out of pallets a few weeks ago so I’m liking the direction my garage is going.EC54847C-96DF-42FD-8523-74751E8B8BFA.jpeg812ED57D-F27C-45EB-89AC-EA1BCB95AD5E.jpeg

I keep a box fan with a A/C filter zipped tied to it to collect normal room dust. I live on the edge of the Great Western Desert and when the wind blows from the west you almost need a shovel to get rid of the dust. My bubba air purifier seems to work pretty well.

- - - and a barn full of old motorcycles and all the money needed to play with them lol.

Hi Ww,
got a friend like that. Thing is, he's 70.
His barn has a Vincent Comet, a BSA Gold Star, a buncha Norton twins, anna raft of misc. Britbikes in it.
There's also a 2-year old Moto Guzzi in there for touring on.
What he needs is to live to be 130 so he can get 'em all running.

Back