EBC Pad Differences

wannabridin

XS650 Guru
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know or have experience with the different pads from EBC? I need new pads for my front brembo conversion and the following are available:

EPFA244HH ($55.93) - "Sintered Fast Streed & Trackday"
FA244HH ($33.35) - "Sintered Superbike"
FA244 ($30.34) - "Organic"

I've read conflicting reports on the EPFAHH & FAHH saying there's no real difference, but also read that the organic pads do just fine for our bikes (I believe the stock Brembo pads are organic and MIGHT be re-usable, just need to inspect).

Just wondering what the thoughts were? Thanks!

Sintered pads may work a bit better but are also harder on the discs, galling them up more. I use organic ones and they seem to work just fine.

Yes, race pads (or shoes) usually don't work well until hot. I discovered this years ago on one of my old BMWs. The guy I bought it from said he replaced the brake shoes with racing ones. I thought, great, I'll have really good brakes. Well, not so much, lol, they kinda sucked. Then one time I was going down a long, long hill, applying the front brake on and off to scrub off some speed. Well, about the third time I grabbed the brake, it hauled down big time, working better and stronger than it ever had. That's because it finally got hot enough, lol.

Organics it is!

I've used the HH pads on other (more modern) brakes on my bikes and they worked quite well. But I think with the 11mm MC, stainless line, XS1100 slotted rotor (that's been thinned a bit) and brembo caliper, I should be in good shape!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Good for you. For some reason, EBC pads and shoes seem high priced compared to other brands, and I'm not sure why. I've tried some of their stuff in the past and found it no better or worse than other brand names. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.

Back