Education time.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This is how you eat Vegemite: Spread very thinly over buttered toast, repeat, very thinly! Or, spread very thinly over buttered fresh bread. 25,000,000 Aussies wouldn't lie to you, well, not about Vegemite anyway.
If you have this delicious treat every morning for breakfast, you will grow up big and strong, win lots of surfing competitions and get nominated for lots of Oscars!
Warning! Vegemite is adictive, all Australians are Vegemite adicts!

Attachments

• Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    811.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
In Britain, we have Marmite yeast extract. I think it's the same stuff as Vegemite? In Britain, the name has become a byword for something that divides opinion - you either love it or hate it. I used to eat Marmite as a child, as you correctly say spread very thinly on buttered bread or toast. Yum! Or used in judicious tiny amounts to add flavour to a soup or stew. So I was in the 'love it' camp.

But many years ago my dear-departed sister and I made a coach journey together from London to Edinburgh. Non-stop by Motorway. Takes nearly all day and Sis was responsible for the catering. Knowing I liked Marmite, she made up some Marmite sarnies. Thickly spread. She also brought Marmite flavoured crisps - I didn't even know there was such a thing. An unbelievably, she even brought Marmite to drink. As you know, Vegemite or Marmite is quite salty and makes you thirsty. But with nuffin' to drink except more bloody Marmite over a long journey trapped in a hot & stuffy bus I couldn't get out of my head images of old-time sailors set adrift under a tropical Sun in an open boat by some mutinous scum and suffering the Hell of thirst with water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.*

Oddly enough, I haven't eaten or drank any Marmite since that day. Maybe it's time to try some again. Very thinly spread, or course . . .

* The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Samuel Taylor Coleridge,

Last edited:
Marmite in NZ when I was growing up. Totally different flavours. Chalk and cheese. Vegemite has a distingtively bitter taste compared to Marmite.
Y'know, there we go with taste again. Chalk and cheese or yeast extract and yeast extract? Have had this conversation with Aussies who have told me it's the same stuff and others who say they're pretty much the same. TBH, not really very bothered. People who hate Marmite unlikely to love Vegemite?

Dick Smith, an Aussie entrepreneur, started making his own brand of Vegemite - Ozemite, a few years ago, didn't really taste the same, too sweet, didn't like it at all.

From an expat kiwi with 30 years of living in NZ, eating marmite, who has now lived in Australia, for the last 35 years, eating vegemite. I recently spent 3 weeks in NZ eating marmite. I think i have a pretty good take on the difference in taste between Vegemite and marmite.

Both being from a yeast extract doesn't necessarily mean they will taste the same............beer has yeast in it

But then again i cant tell an XSB from a K and i posted a tranny pic in the bike and babe' thread so there is that.

And that's exactly how rumours falsehoods are started. Vegemite is a yeast extract. Of course you'd have to ask, how would he know what scrapings from a cows arse taste like? That's a really odd habit/hobby to pickup!

Last edited:
I have an XS650 friend in Oz. Some of you probably know him. He goes by the name Doonie. He told me face to face that Vegemite is the scrapings from inside a cow’s bum. He is one Ozzie not addicted to it.
Never met him. If he has done the taste test to prove it, all well and good to him. Or does he have the inside information no one else is privy to

But, a question: , How can anyone eat pumpkin or sweet potato (same thing to me). It's grown as pig food!
Now those really are two completely different things.

pumpkin.jpg

I don't really eat pumpkins, don't have anything against them but they're huge so I don't buy them. Most of the pumpkins grown in Britain get used at Halloween for making 'turnip' lanterns but they can be used to make a tasty soup. I buy sweet potatoes and use them in various ways. For example, to make sweet potato chips.

Since this is a education thread, there is clear blue water between the way many food words are used in Britain and the USA and I must confess ignorance of Australian usage. Most British families enjoy potato chips, which are close to what Murricans call french fries except chips are chunkier. Am I right in thinking N America uses chip for what we call crisps?

So for my sweet potato chips, would cut the tubers lengthwise into 1/2" square pieces, coat them with oil, possibly dust with salt and paprika and roast in a hot oven on an oven tray. Which might be a baking sheet in the US?

Yes, I enjoy those vegetables and don't consider them fit only for pigs.

I'm just another pig that likes Pumpkin and Kumera, (another of the sweet potato family), as well as the red skinned, pale skinned type.

Orange and red fleshed vegetables are important health foods benefits for vitamin A, fiber, heart disease, immune system bla blah blah.

Another grumpy old man thread.

While on business in Japan, my limo driver told me Americans will eat only tuna and salmon when it comes to sushi. At every opportunity, I set out to prove her wrong.
I happened upon a place that had a menu in English.
1679146107195.png

While on business in Japan, my limo driver told me Americans will eat only tuna and salmon when it comes to sushi. At every opportunity, I set out to prove her wrong.
I happened upon a place that had a menu in English.
View attachment 238084
I would have the 'Rectum with Welsh Onion'
Just to try a Welsh onion of course.......🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿:devil:

Ok, wierdest food. I have heard Canadians like mashed potato with strawberry jam: true/false?
My father introduced me to peanut paste with beetroot, most people don't like the sound of that, but I guess it's not a lot different to peanut butter and jelly!
He also introduced me to french toast, he cooked it for us every Sunday. I was very surprised on my trip to America back in the d 90s that you guys sprinkle icing sugar over it, we sprinkle with salt.
And now we come to the wierdest (in a bad way) food. Also introduced by my father: mashed potato with onion. There are no word to describe this disgusting mix of foods! Perhaps only pumpkin and sweet potato are áwfuller' and they need no additives to reach that level of awfulness...
I'm not real fond of broccoli or brussel sprouts either, in fact, most things green are not on my good foods list.

Back