Education time.

Weird food combo's that taste great....
Extra sharp cheddar cheese and chocolate chip cookies. Yum!
Try it 'fore you laugh.

Now those really are two completely different things.

View attachment 238070

I don't really eat pumpkins, don't have anything against them but they're huge so I don't buy them. Most of the pumpkins grown in Britain get used at Halloween for making 'turnip' lanterns but they can be used to make a tasty soup. I buy sweet potatoes and use them in various ways. For example, to make sweet potato chips.

Since this is a education thread, there is clear blue water between the way many food words are used in Britain and the USA and I must confess ignorance of Australian usage. Most British families enjoy potato chips, which are close to what Murricans call french fries except chips are chunkier. Am I right in thinking N America uses chip for what we call crisps?

So for my sweet potato chips, would cut the tubers lengthwise into 1/2" square pieces, coat them with oil, possibly dust with salt and paprika and roast in a hot oven on an oven tray. Which might be a baking sheet in the US?

Yes, I enjoy those vegetables and don't consider them fit only for pigs.
Yes, your crisps are our chips. In the South, we make pies from sweet potato, and we also batter and deep fry strips of sweet potato. Personally, I love em. I love Fish and Chips too. Yes, I use malt vinegar, not ketchup or tartar sauce.

Ok, wierdest food. I have heard Canadians like mashed potato with strawberry jam: true/false?
My father introduced me to peanut paste with beetroot, most people don't like the sound of that, but I guess it's not a lot different to peanut butter and jelly!
He also introduced me to french toast, he cooked it for us every Sunday. I was very surprised on my trip to America back in the d 90s that you guys sprinkle icing sugar over it, we sprinkle with salt.
And now we come to the wierdest (in a bad way) food. Also introduced by my father: mashed potato with onion. There are no word to describe this disgusting mix of foods! Perhaps only pumpkin and sweet potato are áwfuller' and they need no additives to reach that level of awfulness...
I'm not real fond of broccoli or brussel sprouts either, in fact, most things green are not on my good foods list.
One of my father's (and mine) favorites is a peanut butter and banana sandwich. It's a Southern thing.

Last edited:
Weird food combo's that taste great....
Extra sharp cheddar cheese and chocolate chip cookies. Yum!
Try it 'fore you laugh.
Sandwiches made with mature cheddar and thinly-spread strawberry jam. Also Yum! Eaten 'em since I was a youngster.

Mrs makes sweet chilli jam and it's luvverly with most savoury fillings, for example Philadelphia cheese spread.

. . . I love Fish and Chips too. Yes, I use malt vinegar, not ketchup or tartar sauce . . .
Malt vinegar is correct! But it it's chips as a side with, say, a ploughman's lunch then I've gone over to the Belgian style - mayonnaise. Try it!

Sandwiches made with mature cheddar and thinly-spread strawberry jam. Also Yum! Eaten 'em since I was a youngster.

Mrs makes sweet chilli jam and it's luvverly with most savoury fillings, for example Philadelphia cheese spread.

Malt vinegar is correct! But it it's chips as a side with, say, a ploughman's lunch then I've gone over to the Belgian style - mayonnaise. Try it!
Malt vinegar (such as Sarsons) is a distilled pure food product.
Chip shop vinegar is a by product of the petrol-chemical industry.
They taste totally different.

mashed potato with onion. There are no word to describe this disgusting mix
In Ireland they mix spring onion or ordinary onion with mashed potato and call it 'Colcanon'
So there is a word to describe it.
Still awful tho'......🤮

Around Cincinnati, Ohio they’re known to eat chili on spaghetti. I ate it once or twice passing through. Nasty chili. I had a friend there who ate his chili over mashed potatoes.

Around Cincinnati, Ohio they’re known to eat chili on spaghetti. I ate it once or twice passing through. Nasty chili. I had a friend there who ate his chili over mashed potatoes.
Nothing like a hot chilli passing through............🥵:poo:

Of course, a British meal that we are told totally freaks Americans is beans on toast. A firm favourite in many households. Have seen various discussions and it might be that baked beans are different on this side of the ocean? Even the bread is different.

And No, you don't pick up the toast and eat it like a jeely piece* - it's a proper knife & fork meal.

This beats any oil thread - plenty to talk about and just as pointless.

* Glaswegian for a slice of bread spread with jam.

My grandfather would make peanut butter and bacon sandwiches...but he also used to salt and pepper raw hamburger and snack while grilling. "Cannibal Sandwiches" he called it.
A friend of mine who was from Pittsburgh told me he used to go to an eatery there that served that warmed hamburger on a bun and it was called a cannibal sandwich.

Steak-N-Shake sells chili over spaghetti with additional toppings of onions, beef, and cheddar cheese. I love it. In fact the Mrs. makes it with her homemade chili.

Steak-N-Shake sells chili over spaghetti with additional toppings of onions, beef, and cheddar cheese. I love it. In fact the Mrs. makes it with her homemade chili.
I tried it on my kids one time. They hated it and still bring it up occasionally as adult women. I was a mean dad.

Back