Education time.

This is how you eat Vegemite: Spread very thinly over buttered toast, repeat, very thinly! Or, spread very thinly over buttered fresh bread. 25,000,000 Aussies wouldn't lie to you, well, not about Vegemite anyway.
If you have this delicious treat every morning for breakfast, you will grow up big and strong, win lots of surfing competitions and get nominated for lots of Oscars!
Warning! Vegemite is adictive, all Australians are Vegemite adicts!
Love Vegemite.
Conversely, the best way to eat Marmite is spread it very thinly on toast and then toss it in the bin.

i posted a tranny pic in the bike and babe' thread so there is that.
To be fair, some are hard to tell.

Also introduced by my father: mashed potato with onion.
Yum. Crispy fried onions make all the difference.
For me, wierd food was pig's trotters, tripe, sheep's brains and ox tongue, still is.
I was brought up with tripe and onions boiled in milk, cod roe (look it up), cockles and mussels, clootie dumplings and sliced ox tongue.
Loved all of them, as it was normal food back in the day.
The idea of sheep brains makes me boke.

Last edited:
My Mom would have been 100 years old today. She left us a few weeks ago. Back in her day nothing was wasted.
They didn't waste anything, they figured out a way to use it. As in make a meal out of it.
We are spoiled today we go to the grocery store and buy just what we want.
In her and my Dads day they butchered cows, pigs, chickens and anything else they raised on their farms. Very little was discarded.
I'll never forget Thanksgiving dinners, Mom always cooked the turkey necks with the giblets, she loved the neck meat.
How many of us even bother to cook the neck let alone the giblets? I always got the heart.

Well, ya know, us hillbillies think ya'll do peculiar things too. A creak is a noise made by a rusty hinge or loose stair, not someplace for swimming; that's a crick.:laugh2:
To us a holler is what you do to call someone for dinner, not a topographical feature.

Thank you, @toglhot, as a direct result of this thread, bought some Marmite - let's not go there again - and had some at breakfast, thinly spread on hot buttered toast. Mmm. First time I've touched the stuff since that occasion thirty years ago.

Thank you, @toglhot, as a direct result of this thread, bought some Marmite - let's not go there again - and had some at breakfast, thinly spread on hot buttered toast. Mmm. First time I've touched the stuff since that occasion thirty years ago.
I like it on hot buttered crumpets...Gorgeous!

Back