Education time.

Of course, a British meal that we are told totally freaks Americans is beans on toast. A firm favourite in many households. Have seen various discussions and it might be that baked beans are different on this side of the ocean? Even the bread is different.

And No, you don't pick up the toast and eat it like a jeely piece* - it's a proper knife & fork meal.

This beats any oil thread - plenty to talk about and just as pointless.

* Glaswegian for a slice of bread spread with jam.
I'd like to try beans on toast. There's a store here in Florida, Cameron's, that sells British food. I've bought their meat pies and they are very good with some H.P. sauce. Also bought their pasties, not bad.

Yeah Marty, but you are a Yankee. Bet you don't like okra either. How 'bout white gravy with sausage on a cathead biscuit. Peanuts in your Coca-Cola, pecan pie, nanner' puddin',collard greens?
Love okra, all that stuff, but peanuts in my Coke. Last four years I’m keto, now mostly carnivore.

Chilli, or chili, is another word with potential to cause trans-Atlantic confusson. If I say Chilli, I'm usually referring to the fruit, ie, a hot pepper. But in US might more often refer to a dish made with onion, pepper, garlic, tomatoes, beans, meat and so forth? Or am I wrong?

Weird food combo's that taste great....
Extra sharp cheddar cheese and chocolate chip cookies. Yum!
Try it 'fore you laugh.
I just made the cookies but all I have on hand are Velveeta slices
Hmmmm..

Yeah Marty, but you are a Yankee. Bet you don't like okra either. How 'bout white gravy with sausage on a cathead biscuit. Peanuts in your Coca-Cola, pecan pie, nanner' puddin',collard greens?

Love okra, all that stuff, but peanuts in my Coke. Last four years I’m keto, now mostly carnivore.
I'm barely southern - just below Mason-Dixon - but I like most southern things. The exception: many years ago on a drive -maybe SC or GA - I kept seeing all these signs for "Boiled Peanuts". I like peanuts, especially fresh in-the-shell roasted. Finally, I pulled into the umteenth Boiled Peanut roadside stand and bought some: gawd, what an awful mushy, horrible mess - couldn't do it.🤮

Chilli, or chili, is another word with potential to cause trans-Atlantic confusson. If I say Chilli, I'm usually referring to the fruit, ie, a hot pepper. But in US might more often refer to a dish made with onion, pepper, garlic, tomatoes, beans, meat and so forth? Or am I wrong?
Correct. And even here the debate rages. Don't put beans in it, call it chili and serve it to a Texan. Proper Texas chili is meat, spices and is a tomato base sauce that is totally different from Italian tomato based sauces. Darned good too.

I'm barely southern - just below Mason-Dixon - but I like most southern things. The exception: many years ago on a drive -maybe SC or GA - I kept seeing all these signs for "Boiled Peanuts". I like peanuts, especially fresh in-the-shell roasted. Finally, I pulled into the umteenth Boiled Peanut roadside stand and bought some: gawd, what an awful mushy, horrible mess - couldn't do it.🤮
I love 'em.

Ok if we are talking spaghetti. Fried spaghetti with a couple of runny fried eggs on top for breakfast. No sauce for the uninitiated. Just butter salt and pepper.
That reminds me. I used to work with this kid from Verona, Italy. He made spaghetti for us once with just olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. It was very good. I've done it and added lump crab meat to it, I like it.

Hey, I'll stop and eat BBQ - even Gator - with ya, but I ain't eatin' no boiled peanuts:speechless::laugh2:
Alright. I can have boiled peanuts after you leave. BTW, the proper deep South pronunciation is "boled p-nuts". kinda' like that stuff that goes in your crankcase, it's "ol", and that aluminum wrap is "fole". Also, in north Fla. and south Ga., pecans are pronounced "pee-cans" Just helpful hints for those who stray off of the interstate.

Lived a fair bit of my youth in Al and Fla. Dothan, Ft Walton Beach mainly. The thought of stopping roadside and grabbing a brown paper bag of still hot boiled peanuts makes my mouth water. Love 'em.

Alright. I can have boiled peanuts after you leave. BTW, the proper deep South pronunciation is "boled p-nuts". kinda' like that stuff that goes in your crankcase, it's "ol", and that aluminum wrap is "fole". Also, in north Fla. and south Ga., pecans are pronounced "pee-cans" Just helpful hints for those who stray off of the interstate.
And where is it the stuff in your crank case is “earl”?

Lived a fair bit of my youth in Al and Fla. Dothan, Ft Walton Beach mainly. The thought of stopping roadside and grabbing a brown paper bag of still hot boiled peanuts makes my mouth water. Love 'em.
I eat ‘em too. It’s probably a blessing I can’t get them here. When in Georgia, only eat p-nuts or p’nuts. Boiled “peanuts” are going to be terrible.

Chili has chili in it. I like mine with chunked pork, no beans. Any meat is fine for my taste except poultry.

Back