Elbow joints are unnecessary, apparently.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I saw the orthopaedic surgeon today regarding my request for a scrape and clean, I had images taken after my last visit which he brought up on his screen and said 'Oh wow, that's horrendous, there's nothing left'. I asked if he could do a scrape and clean 'there's nothing left to scrape, I don't know how you are coping' he replied. His reaction was quite funny I thought, even the wife had a chuckle.

So, he said the only assistance he can provide is a total replacement. I baulked at that as I'm not ready to retire from life yet. With a replacement joint the heaviest I will be able to lift is a cup of coffee. His final words ' be careful, at the rate of deterioration, the elbow may well fall apart'.

I see my GP tomorrow, the pin holding my index finger together has come loose and is starting to pop out so he's going to rip it out for me.

Friday I see another surgeon about my hip. Hopefully, he'll be able to help me out.

In July I see the oncologist again, forth brush with lung cancer, so much for the three treatments I've had. Now I'm headed for the fourth.

Ain't old age great???

The Docs keep telling me I have a very high pain thresh hold! Not really, believe me it hurts just to scratch my head. Hopefully my elbow will hold together long enough to put the bike back together.

After that, I'll have to lock the door to the workshop for the last time. I'm thinking of visiting my remote controlled aircraft again. I still have a miniature chopper and a motorised glider thingy from my last foray out of the workshop. I parked the glider at the top of every tree in my suburb, such was my skill, I had to use an extendable pole to un-park it though. The mini chopper has been introduced to every door, window and wall in the house, the wife won't let me play with it anymore. I did have a 400mm chopper which disintegrated when I landed it, I probably should have landed it a little slower I think, so I don't have that anymore, but I still have my 700mm chopper. I parked it on the bottom of the local lake about two years ago, it should still be there, all I need to retrieve it is some scuba gear.

On second thought, perhaps stamp collecting would suit me better!

Last edited:
My god don't know how you are coping, But keep on keeping on!
Go drone?
Full control yet self stabilized including return to base, not to mention the photo thing.
What's the legal situation on them in Aus?
they are pretty heavily regulated here but several loopholes allow home use without a bunch of training or certifications.
In any case you got friends here.

Last edited:
So, he said the only assistance he can provide is a total replacement. I baulked at that as I'm not ready to retire from life yet. With a replacement joint the heaviest I will be able to lift is a cup of coffee. His final words ' be careful, at the rate of deterioration, the elbow may well fall apart'.
I've had hip and knee replacement so I understand that going for the operation can be a big and difficult decision.

Before writing a new elbow off I hope you will take the time to do some research into the limitations of the replacement.
From the little I have read the limitation on what you lift is down to reducing the wear so that it lasts longer. Unless you drink your tea out of a bucket then I suspect you will still be able to lift more than a cup.

I don't regret having either of my joints replaced and rather than retire me from life it has enabled me to do more and eliminate the pain.

I wish you well with all of your ailments and hope that whatever you decide to do works for you.

I saw the orthopaedic surgeon today regarding my request for a scrape and clean, I had images taken after my last visit which he brought up on his screen and said 'Oh wow, that's horrendous, there's nothing left'. I asked if he could do a scrape and clean 'there's nothing left to scrape, I don't know how you are coping' he replied. His reaction was quite funny I thought, even the wife had a chuckle.

I see my GP tomorrow, the pin holding my index finger together has come loose and is starting to pop out so he's going to rip it out for me.

Friday I see another surgeon about my hip. Hopefully, he'll be able to help me out.

In July I see the oncologist again, forth brush with lung cancer, so much for the three treatments I've had. Now I'm headed for the fourth.

Ain't old age great???

The Docs keep telling me I have a very high pain thresh hold! Not really, believe me it hurts just to scratch my head. Hopefully my elbow will hold together long enough to put the bike back together.

After that, I'll have to lock the door to the workshop for the last time. I'm thinking of visiting my remote controlled aircraft again. I still have a miniature chopper and a motorised glider thingy from my last foray out of the workshop. I parked the glider at the top of every tree in my suburb, such was my skill, I had to use an extendable pole to un-park it though. The mini chopper has been introduced to every door, window and wall in the house, the wife won't let me play with it anymore. I did have a 400mm chopper which disintegrated when I landed it, I probably should have landed it a little slower I think, so I don't have that anymore, but I still have my 700mm chopper. I parked it on the bottom of the local lake about two years ago, it should still be there, all I need to retrieve it is some scuba gear.

Keeping you in my prayers my friend.

Keeping you in my prayers my friend
Same here for you Togl.
I am amazed ar what you accomplish with your limitations. There are a few others on the site that astound me as well with their accomplishments while battling health issues.
I am praying for your health and relief of your pain. Best of luck.

Ain't old age great???

Glider in the tree made me think of this. Hope it brings a smile to your face. Be well.

Back