Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Pipistrel Seeking FAA Nod for Electric Velis Trainer

Pipistrel is now seeking FAA type certification for its electrically-powered Velis Electro light aircraft, the company announced yesterday at the Aero Friedrichshafen show in Germany. This move comes almost two years after it became the first manufacturer to certify an electric aircraft with EASA when the European regulator approved the Velis.

Shortly after being acquired by Textron earlier this month, Pipistrel signaled its intent to offer the Velis Electro in the U.S. flight training market. “U.S. certification is not a problem,” said Pipistrel product manager Tadej Hozic. The plan is to obtain certification under FAA Part 23 regulations, based on the EASA CS-23 certification, and this would be the first FAA approval program for an electric aircraft.

The Velis Electro is powered by a 60-kW electric motor and 20-kW battery, he said, “which allows us to fly for one hour plus a legal reserve.” Battery charging from fully discharged takes about an hour. But typically after landing, the battery isn’t fully discharged, so after a debriefing, the Electro is ready for its next flight.

Lest anyone think this isn't for real... or ready for prime time, Pipistrel is currently producing 20 Velis' per month. In the airplane world, that's a lot of production.

You would think the weight of the batteries would be prohibitive in an electric plane.

You would think the weight of the batteries would be prohibitive in an electric plane.

Well, your typical 2 seat trainer carries about 30gal of gas. That's about 180-200lbs. Your typical 80hp IC aircraft engine weighs about 175lbs. It's electric counterpart only weighs about 30-40lbs.
So there's roughly 300+lbs that can go to battery weight... all else being equal. Add to that all the carbon fiber tech in todays aircraft and yeah... we're gettin' there.
another thing is regen... just like it's automotive counterpart, it has regenerative capabilities. It's using descents as E cars use downhill/braking power regeneration. After all, as trainer, it spend a considerable amount of time practicing landings.... lot's of descent regen going back into it's (small-ish) battery.

Hey Mailman, the limiting factor for range is the battery chemistry and yes battery capacity, most production EV motorcycles use lithium ion batteries which is more energy dense, I wanted more off the shelf batteries that I am able to pick up from the store easily when first putting the bike together. The range will definitely be significantly extended using Lithium type batteries, but new battery chemistry will also call for compatible battery charger. Also lithium batteries are a lot more expensive. Using Lithium batteries can easily double the cost of what I put into the bike which is about 3k. The motor mounted is an ME1003 which can push equivalent to about 20 or so horsepower which is equivalent to a little more than a 250cc internal combustion engine. Thanks for the interest!
I'm running a ME1003 also but as a generator. It is a very strong motor. It does tend to run hot. However, I built a heatsink out of 1/2" aluminum angle and put it around the motor w/heatsink grease. At 140 amp continuous, the operating temperature dropped by over 80 degrees F. By-the-way I was also using an 8" fan. Fan alone didn't do much good. But fan and heatsink was the bomb.

Last edited:
Wow. :yikes:

And just to play devils advocate... there's at least one or two petro transit busses that burn to the ground just here in KC every year or so.
So it's not confined to electric.
That was pretty spectacular though...

Per FDNY Fire Marshals the cause of this morning’s 3-alarm fire which occurred 5401 7th Avenue in Brooklyn was lithium ion batteries from E-Bikes/Scooters.

Per FDNY Fire Marshals the cause of this morning’s 3-alarm fire which occurred 5401 7th Avenue in Brooklyn was lithium ion batteries from E-Bikes/Scooters.

Maybe a good question would be to ask about the quality of the Ebikes/scooters batteries..............Never heard of a makita cordless battery catching on fire, or any of the quality makes for that matter, (maybe they have but never mentioned). Have read about warnings and cautions when buying cheap replacement batteries from non reputable providers.............??

It happens with power tool batteries. typically when charging. Ford is building 10,000 electric transits for large customers. They will be extensively monitored to help with further development.

One way is over charging. The excess heat causes the plates to warp and short out.
Lithium has a very high charge density. Extreme rates of discharge causes this type of battery to overheat badly. Sometimes melt down. If Charge voltage and charge rate isn't strictly controlled, the same can occur.

Last edited:
I saw a Rivian truck today in traffic. I didn’t even know they had shipped any. It was pretty futuristic looking.
33523DC3-5E63-49B0-B9F2-1D1134171B6F.jpeg

I saw a Rivian truck today in traffic. I didn’t even know they had shipped any. It was pretty futuristic looking.
View attachment 213840
First I heard of the Rivian, just for kicks I checked the web site and see the cheapest one is $67,500 so guess I'll pass on that.

As a side note why does every pick-up these days have to have four doors?

( Sorry for the detour Jim )

The best truck I ever owned was a 1960 Chevy step side, with a 235 straight six and a granny low 4-speed tranny. I bought it in the early 70’s , it was a retired Forest Service truck, it was as basic as they come not even a radio. I have never stopped missing that truck, even a teenage knuckle head , like I was back then , could work on it.
0FDEE21D-176D-42E1-BE50-3CDA95BDF43E.jpeg

I'm interested in the Ford Maverick but yeah why does it need 4 doors
Saw article on that just today and had the same thought.

Wish I lived in an area there vehicles did not rust so bad, I would like to be able to buy a late 1990's early 2000's Ford Ranger short bed with a four cylinder and stick shift. I know a nice new 2022 truck will get better mileage but for the few miles I would put on one these days the mileage is of little importance to me!

Heck I have even toyed with the idea of trying to locate such a truck in the south eastern states and making it a road trip to bring it home to New York.

( Sorry for the detour Jim )

The best truck I ever owned was a 1960 Chevy step side, with a 235 straight six and a granny low 4-speed tranny. I bought it in the early 70’s , it was a retired Forest Service truck, it was as basic as they come not even a radio. I have never stopped missing that truck, even a teenage knuckle head , like I was back then , could work on it.
View attachment 213928
At this point, air conditioning would be helpful to you. Otherwise, it’s a truck. What more do you need?

Back