Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Maybe a good question would be to ask about the quality of the Ebikes/scooters batteries..............Never heard of a makita cordless battery catching on fire, or any of the quality makes for that matter, (maybe they have but never mentioned). Have read about warnings and cautions when buying cheap replacement batteries from non reputable providers.............??

reiterates my point on cheep replacement batteries...............

Too cool for school, Bob! I saw one in a local used car dealer's lot, who's slogan is "...good to go!", but it was NFS. The owner's resto-mod, sitting in the lot just to draw attention. (And attention it drew!) :devil:
That guy with the old Chevy might that be Billy W...? I'd pay him the full retail price for that truck when new!

1652324942888.png

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS—Simply put, the Ford F-150 Lightning is the most important new electric vehicle we'll drive for some time. Auto journalists can be accused of using that cliché all too readily, but in this case, I think it's defensible. Americans love pickup trucks more than any other four-wheeled vehicle, and when it comes to pickup trucks, they love Ford's F-series enough that it has been the nation's bestseller for almost as long as I've been alive.
Link.

Pratt & Whitney Canada (P&WC) has chosen Switzerland’s H55 to supply battery systems for the engine company’s regional hybrid-electric flight demonstrator program, P&WC said Thursday. The development of the battery component designs and associated electrical control systems will also draw support from the National Research Council Canada (NRC) and the province of Quebec’s Innovative Vehicle Institute (IVI).

A spinoff from Solar Impulse, the first electric airplane to fly around the world, H55 develops modular, lightweight propulsion and energy storage systems for electric aircraft such as the eBeaver, now under development by Western Canadian seaplane operator Harbour Air. Link.

1653062685439.png

I think I would rather take my chances with diesel tanks below my feet burning that gigantic sparkler burning above my head.
I would bet that the diesel buses that have burned were the result of accidents (crashes).

Fuel sprayed by wounded high pressure injection systems onto hot parts can get ugly fast.
You are very correct. How many diesels are running down the road every day and how many burn. I'm sure some do every day but it's a very low percentage.

Fuel sprayed by wounded high pressure injection systems onto hot parts can get ugly fast.
Waved down Greyhound on the interstate long time ago with smoke coming out the ass. Driver pulled over and emptied the pax's. Within minutes it caught fire. Burned to the frame before fire trucks arrived.

You are very correct. How many diesels are running down the road every day and how many burn. I'm sure some do every day but it's a very low percentage.

On the other hand lithium battery charging and circuit design is still in it's infancy.
And in bicycles low cost, few barriers to entry, create systems with poor "fault proofing"
http://jimmymacontwowheels.com/battery-fires-create-concerns-for-every-electric-bike-owner/
https://jalopnik.com/nine-e-bike-batteries-cause-huge-nyc-apartment-fire-1848241582
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a28778383/electric-bike-explosion/
It'll get there but I prolly need to improve my bicycle battery handling 'specially while charging them.

Sure to do like messing 'round riding E-bikes, bud and I did a great ride Sunday. With the wind and steep hills we encountered it wouldn't have been as much fun without the assist here and there.

E-vehicles of all kinds are the future, no doubt in my mind.
Just like when steam became the power of the future for ships, trains, and industry there were a lot of accidents. With each accident they learned a little more.
What happened to the first generation of planes that flew, I would bet most crashed. Each was a learning experience.
I have no problem with E-vehicles in themselves. In time they will be fine. My problem is how are we going to make the electricity to run them. Too many too quick and we will create new problems.
Knee jerk reactions usually cause new problems. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Rode in my friend's new Hyundai Ioniq 5 a couple weeks back. As much as I can theorize all of an electric motor's torque being available from a dig, I could not believe how quick it was. The acceleration was absurd!

I used to own a 550 AWHP Subaru STi so I'm well aware of what an unreasonably quick ICE vehicle can feel like - this was truly next level.

Maybe I'm old or just old school or both. I do not want to ride a sewing machine. I like the heart beat of a recip engine. Heck I even like carburetors even as troublesome as they can be. Ok I admit I do like electronic ignition. I like my XS2s as imperfect as they are because they take me back to a better place in time. A time when things were much simpler. Not really less stressful just more fun. I also miss the days of sliding around a corner on my KTM and getting it on the the pipe as the corner straightened out. Had to slide up on the tank to keep the front end down. Days of old, days of glory I don't know but it was fun!

Here's a novel idea (far as I know...) for EV chargers.

McDougall explained that the eBeavers will require a charging station that differs little from the proprietary systems developed by Tesla for its electric cars. In fact, Harbour Air plans to recycle the used battery packs from the airplanes as charging stations on its docks.

“What you do to recycle those batteries is you basically turn them into energy storage that can be transmitted into the aircraft,” he said. “So let's say you have a rural location that doesn't have decent charging infrastructure and just has a 120-volt regular sort of household current. Then you would have a charger that would charge that battery pack that's been taken out of service, and when the plane comes, you would just basically transfer that energy from that battery pack into the aircraft.”

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-...irs-ebeaver-program-slowed-supply-chain-kinks

Back