Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Stopped at a new bicycle shop the next town over They had Specialized e-bikes. Kinda cool, didn't have quite the exact bike I'd want in stock.

1653615700937.png

There's a shop building custom ebikes about 90 miles away would like to check them out also.

Stopped at a new bicycle shop the next town over They had Specialized e-bikes. Kinda cool, didn't have quite the exact bike I'd want in stock.

View attachment 215171

There's a shop building custom ebikes about 90 miles away would like to check them out also.
what sort of money are you looking at for these bikes? and what are there rating and speeds?

what sort of money are you looking at for these bikes? and what are there rating and speeds?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/compare?pc=188102&pc=188103&pc=199868&pc=199872

The one I was looking at; primarily road bike 250 watt mid drive (through the chain), front suspension hydraulic disk brakes, 9 speed cassette. pedal assist only no throttle built in head, tail lights fenders luggage rack. about 50-80 miles assisted range. Ask was $3,250 USD they had about 30 ebikes on the floor.

I'm not sold on mid drive, even beefed up, bicycle chain drive is not designed for the torque of electric motors.
Had one the chain blew out quickly, replaced with a better rated chain, but gear shifting (on that one) was kind of tricky, cuz motor torque as the chain gets shifted between the gears...........
We all know to reduce effort as we shift a derailleur but the motor doesn't get that message.

Last edited:
We have a 25kph restriction so they can be used on the sidewalk, over here and that's usually from a 250w bike. Can, and some put a 500w battery to hot them up to use them at a safe sped on the road. Mountain bikers like them apparently.

About a $1,200 for a reasonable quality low budget bike here..................seen some up around he $7,000 mark...........:yikes:

I'm not sold on hub drive, even beefed up, bicycle chain drive is not designed for the torque of electric motors.
Had one the chain blew out quickly, replaced with a better rated chain, but gear shifting (on that one) was kind of tricky, cuz motor torque as the chain gets shifted between the gears...........
We all know to reduce effort as we shift a derailleur but the motor doesn't get that message.

That was going through my mind

Yup there's State highway laws local juristiction laws AND various local club state federal trail laws/rules. Oy vey!
But enforcement in the US is still pretty low priority. You ride respectfully and odds are no one's coming after you.
Hearing other things about European enforcement. Saw a video today with Dutch police using a dyno to speed test a moped roadside!

Opinion on the hub drive on why the reluctance
My bad; I prefer hub drive, mid drive through the chain is what I'm not sure of.
The advantage of the mid is the MOTOR also benefits from gear reduction.
But so far my experience is that it isn't a big advantage on street or cow trail, the motor has high torque at zero RPM.
I've only been on low powered 250 350 watt machines. Well I cobbled up a 1,000 watt kit bike one time (scary)
But you get up in the high watts class and they aren't electric bicycles they are electric motorcycles, the pedals are just pretend.

Gasoline powered two-stoke bicycles go for about $75 each two years ago. Substantially less now, I would hope.
And that's about what they sold for (used) 30 years ago.
Cuz they really are ugly useless loud dirty POS.
Round these parts if you watch, good deals on used Ebikes can be had.
But batteries are the catch 22
The batteries I have still seem good, shrug.

I used to work with this one letter carrier who lost his drivers license from a DUI, so he had one of those gas powered bikes he rode to work everyday ( no license required here ) , so he could then hop in a mail truck and drive it all day! 😳 Crazy huh?

Well anyways, he used to carry a great big cooler strapped on the back of that bike so that on his way home from work he could stop at the convenience store and get a 12 pack of beer and he would stash it in the cooler.

One day he parks his bike on the sidewalk in front of the convenience store and goes inside to buy his beer and while he’s inside the store a car came crashing through the front of the store and ran right over his bike, completely destroying it, did a number on the convenience store too.

I have no idea what this has to do with electric vehicles, I just wanted to tell the story. 😆

If your drunk driving transportation is destroyed by a drunk driver, the law says you can start driving again.

Back