Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Energica will soon be going into production with their well designed sport touring bike. If you do your touring 134 miles at a time. 🤔 ( A clean-sheet drivetrain design provides claimed ranges of 261 miles city, 176 miles combined, and 134 miles highway.) Great power and performance , a much more well rounded bike than Zero or Harley Davidsons electric. And at a competitive price point ( which is still much more than I would pay 😁 )

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2022-energica-experia-first-ride-motorcycle-review

Just went to the local Publix
IMG_20220703_181711.jpg
IMG_20220703_182020.jpg
and this was in the parking lot... list price is $40,000 ouch. Battery range per charge only 200 miles but it's all electric. Not for me

Last edited:
And just where are they getting the electricity for these recharging stations..prolly from fossil fuels...not smart.....The EV infrastucture is going to take at least 50 years to come up to par with the current infrastructure for gas powered vehicles..Not in our lifetime...

Energica will soon be going into production with their well designed sport touring bike. If you do your touring 134 miles at a time. 🤔 ( A clean-sheet drivetrain design provides claimed ranges of 261 miles city, 176 miles combined, and 134 miles highway.) Great power and performance , a much more well rounded bike than Zero or Harley Davidsons electric. And at a competitive price point ( which is still much more than I would pay 😁 )

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2022-energica-experia-first-ride-motorcycle-review
134 miles touring range pfffft...a good friend of mine just did a 7000 mile excursion on his motorcycle..and he did it in 25 days taking their time to see the sights..I cant imagine how long that would take with the present EV technology...

Cross country charging station build out.
https://www.emergingtechbrew.com/st...charging?mid=808d1e59330ce9908081bf128e3d48fb
don't see any problems there..
But guess it's like sausage.
Great to eat, better if you don't see it being made.
I'm not impressed...Charging stations are slow and cumbesome if you're taking a cross country trip in an EV...What they really should be doing is rebuilding tthe interstates and other major highways to have the electric infrastructure embedded in the roads so that you can constantly recharge your batteries while driving..Untill they do that i cant fathom EV being a viable mode of transportation....That will take a good 100 years to do..if they have the mind to do it at all...

Battery technolgy has to improve to allow batteries to recharge quickly and not cause them to explode or catch fire..Current Liithium Ion batteries and fast charging are not 100% compatible..and fast charging LI batteries can shorten their useful lifespan..

Battery technolgy has to improve.....

That's kinda why I started this thread. Not to talk about how bad EV's are.... but to put articles up that show promise in advancing EV's.
Yes, they're not ready for prime time, but advancements are being made every day. We'll get there.

That's kinda why I started this thread. Not to talk about how bad EV's are.... but to put articles up that show promise in advancing EV's.
Yes, they're not ready for prime time, but advancements are being made every day. We'll get there.
I am a little skeptical but overall I agree with the notion to be free of the dependancy on foreign oil and oil companies gouging the consumer while they're filthy rich in profits at our expense...

What they really should be doing is rebuilding tthe interstates and other major highways to have the electric infrastructure embedded in the roads so that you can constantly recharge your batteries while driving..Untill they do that i cant fathom EV being a viable mode of transportation.
Yes I agree Max.
They are testing that technology now on tracks but the build out is enormous and unproven.
I also agree that the present course of creating these "charging stations" is problematic, especially when competing against the existing infrastructure for ICE vehicles. No the EVs are not yet ready for prime time and for the foreseeable future will be dirtier for our planet than fossil fuels. They are without question the way of the future. But that future is not now. Attempting to force the population into this conversion before numerous issues are resolved is going to result in far larger problems down the line.
Sadly there is a determined effort to force feed us regardless. At least for a couple more years.
The motorcycle manufacturers have been working together to standardize the battery "packs" so they can be relatively quickly exchanged, like one does propane tanks now.
EVs battery systems would be too large for such a system as they are being built now.

One idea that has never managed to get any real footing would be to have all EVs made to a specific "footprint" or standard if you will.
Referring to chassis/battery/charging.
Body design etc still can be creative.
Instead of rebuilding the present roadways (obviously the start would be interstates)
the plan would be to use a raised system (think L Train) running through the median of the existing interstate. The raised platform would have solar panels that helped create the energy and could charge the EV on its journey.
Going to the next level, the actual plans call for the EV to actually enter the "EV Interstate" on
on a "platform" it is linked with. This "platform" would be like a magnetic train. The maintenance would be greatly reduced along with the tire pollution which is a significant contributor.
It would also be capable of great speeds as well as collision avoidance. Pay your way similar to toll roads. Such a system would decrease travel time and improve safety creating a REAL benefit to the population beyond the present day selling point of "Saving the Planet" which isn't happening with these EVs today anyways.
It would also have the added benifit of freeing the existing highways of the extreme overcrowding that exist in many locations now, especially during peak periods such as this holiday weekend. At some point present ICE vehicles can be converted to EVs and continue using the existing roadways. The present plans seem to be designed to limit everyone's mobility and slow them when traveling any real distances.
I'm too old and will never see it anyway.

No the EVs are not yet ready for prime time and for the foreseeable future will be dirtier for our planet than fossil fuels.
No, EV's aren't dirtier, they're cleaner... and have been for some time. That's just a tired old talking point that get's tossed around because.... well who know why.

Even an EV recharged solely from coal fired power plants emits less carbon per year than an ICE. Link.

1656952916067.png

An ICE has a huge disadvantage when it comes to carbon emissions..... even the best of 'em convert less than half the energy of gasoline/diesel to useful work. The rest is pissed away as heat and carbon emissions.

An advantage of the EV is that the more the world converts to renewable energy, the more efficient it become.
Another advantage is that recycling the batteries helps to lower it's carbon footprint.
As yet, a way to recycle burnt gasoline hasn't been devised.

1656953182157.png

https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/electric-vehicle-myths

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/26/lif...are-lower-than-gasoline-cars-experts-say.html

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...lectric-vehicles-vs-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ss-carbon-over-life-than-gas-cars/9900644002/

Now, I’m reading about tire pollution. Apparently, that’s another hurdle. There are lots of links if interested.
https://carbuzz.com/news/ev-tires-worse-for-the-environment-than-tailpipe-emissions
Motorcycles are also being targeted for this because of the softer compound tires rather than vehicle weight.

If we don’t give the technology a try, we won’t find the pitfalls. So, kudos to those who buy battery powered cars right now. As long as it doesn’t have to be me.

Jim you are correct when the numbers are crunched in that manner. Missing context would be the mining of the raw materials for batteries.
Disposal for the batteries which for the most part doesn't exist. Those are some of the bigger issues. Some of the charging stations in place now use diesel powered generators that burn more fuel to charge the vehicle than the same amount of fuel would power the vehicle even farther.
Yes it will get better. Yes it is the future.
Yes the technology needs to be "tested" and tested on scale to "debug" issues.
But I don't believe the public at large should be force fed a technology that isn't ready especially in regards to having plans in place for obvious issues. The "We'll deal with it when we get to it" mentality is problematic. These issues are all multi level and there are no easy answers or solutions. My opinion is that the solutions would come faster and the technolgy will become more accepted by the public at large once the industry can actually compete with fossil fuels in performance. By performance I am not referring to 0 to 60. I am talking about distance, refueling,
and cost. There are also issues in numerous locations with regards to the Electrical power grids which even now cannot handle the loads required of them without converting our transportation and creating an even greater demand. Those issues should all be addressed and solutions/fixes in place before the great campaign to "transition". We are in agreement that this is necessary and inevitable.
We disagree only in the timing. As it is the "decision makers" are putting the cart before the horse. We have more than enough fossil fuel for the next hundred years. Plenty of time to develop the industry, test it and address the known issues before "transitioning". During that time the price points will naturally become more competitive and there would be a natural movement toward the EVs instead of artificially inflating the cost of the present transportation system in place in an effort to make the EVs more attractive.
I have no interest in a constant argument with you. You have your opinion and I have mine.
It's your thread and a good one.
Carry on and have a happy 4th.

A couple points that probably need to be thought about by many people. One being I would not expect 100% of the cars or trucks to be converted to 100% electric right away, but there are many places where this could be made to work. Say if you have a 50 or less mile commute one way to work and the power grid in your area is of the low polluting source or even solar then having a commuter car could be a viable option.

Another thing is as any technology gets time to work out what works and what doesn't it is only natural for prices to come down and efficiency to go up. One somewhat maybe dumb comparison I can think of is back in the late 1950's when I was a kid I had a couple toy cars that would run on batteries, those things would have a hard time going from one end of the living room at a crawl with two big flashlight batteries. Now look at the remote controlled cars kids have to play with these days, they can do laps a speeds I would have trouble controlling them around a race course!

I have no interest in a constant argument with you. You have your opinion and I have mine.
No argument... you made a statement... as a factual statement, that is false. Opinions are like assholes... we all have 'em and they all stink. We have one set of facts.
Missing context would be the mining of the raw materials for batteries.
Disposal for the batteries which for the most part doesn't exist.
Both those are factored into the graph (studies) above. As a factual matter, using any criteria... EV's are cleaner.

@Jim you are 100% correct that EVs are the future. The thing is they are the future not today. Lot's of new technologies are coming out now and more to come. Which win and which loose remain to be seen. Remember 8-tracks and how they flamed out? I remember reading a article in the 60s about a new bearing that was going to make the standard ball bearing obsolete It is called Rolamite. Great bearing in specific applications. Ball bearing is still with us.
Before Evs become mainstream peoples mind sets will need to change. I thought a EV would not work for me because I want to be able to make a 600+ mile trip in 1 day if I need/want to. But I may be thinking short sighted. If a EV saved me enough money I could rent a gasser when I need to make a longer trip.
I would consider a EV pickup to replace my ICU truck if I had assurances that I could get a replacement battery at a reasonable price if needed. And also if my home charging station would work with the next truck I may buy.

I would consider a EV pickup to replace my ICU truck if I had assurances that I could get a replacement battery at a reasonable price if needed. And also if my home charging station would work with the next truck I may buy.

Some level of standardization is needed, maybe not one battery to fit every vehicle but if it could be reduced down to say half a dozen that would be a good start.

Same thing but more so on chargers. I think now that some new cell phones are being sold without chargers, just the standard USB cord. I wish the power tools would also standardize on battery packs. Something along the way flashlights were, D cells, C cells, and AA cells.

I have a few Dewalt tools with 18 volt battery packs, but now Dewalt has decided to up their tools to 20 volt! They also I think make 24 volt and 36 volt models. I can see maybe having two different versions of the tools for home owner and professional use but four?

The thing is they are the future not today.
They're not!?! Well shoot.... :cautious:

:laugh2:

Agree with pretty much everything you wrote. Especially the charger. Gas pump nozzles have been standardized for close to a hundred yrs now. A standardized charge port needs to happen sooner rather than later. Imagine a world where I drive across the border to Kanas and the nozzle's too big for my gas tank....
Still scratchin' my head over the "not today" comment though. :umm:

Back