Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Never underestimate the ability of a group of business people to enact laws creating barriers for others wishing to compete in their field.
...and a sympathetic ear among the pols who'll gladly take their bribes campaign contributions to do their bidding and pass their laws.

gggGary

Just call me squirrel brain
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
It's very hard to dig out the truth in any media outlet. The article would make one believe Mississippi and Oklahoma are against EVs. It's not really the case. It seems it has nothing to do with EVs per se.
https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...pi-against-direct-sales-model-such-as-teslas/
Best I could do in a hurry.
Like I said....
"Bill sponsor Rep. Mike Dobrinski (R-District 59)“The metro and rural dealers are united in this effort and it will help ensure DENY competition of both sales and service for many years to come,” he said."

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
...and a sympathetic ear among the pols who'll gladly take their bribes campaign contributions to do their bidding and pass their laws.
That's always the case, isn't it. A government supposed to work for us, doesn't. Unfortunately, I don't have time to keep digging, but would likely come up with a similar conclusion. My takeaway was that this concerned Tesla and direct sales rather than a Ford or Nissan EV purchased at a Jackson dealer.

jpdevol

Hacker of Frames,Wires and other things
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Most states have "franchise laws" that regulate the sale of new and used "Motor Vehicles" (regardless of propulsion as defined). While those laws have evolved to have some anti-competitive (anti-consumer) aspects, the original intent (and need) was to protect independant, local businesses from OEM's predatory and abusive practices. I suspect that Tesla has been in violation of most state's laws (as written), but the dealers haven't challenged them, to-date, because EV sales haven't been worth the battle.

Note: not defending dealers as their own business practices have long evolved into both predatory and abusive, as well as deceptive.

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Most states have "franchise laws" that regulate the sale of new and used "Motor Vehicles" (regardless of propulsion as defined). While those laws have evolved to have some anti-competitive (anti-consumer) aspects, the original intent (and need) was to protect independant, local businesses from OEM's predatory and abusive practices. I suspect that Tesla has been in violation of most state's laws (as written), but the dealers haven't challenged them, to-date, because EV sales haven't been worth the battle.

Note: not defending dealers as their own business practices have long evolved into both predatory and abusive, as well as deceptive.
Yes, after browsing a few items on the subject, that's what I thought it was about. Some of them are intentionally very misleading, IMHO.

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Today I had an Amazon delivery from one of their new electric delivery vans made by Rivian. Coming from an old mailman, they are just incredibly well designed and user friendly. When the driver begins his day he scans a barcode on his computer display and a map of his days delivery populates the screen. The vans are equipped with all the safety features of modern cars, collision avoidance, automatic emergency braking, blind spot monitoring and so on. They have cameras that give a 360 degree view of the exterior of the van ( that’s a huge safety feature for the drivers ) . When they pull up to their destination the cargo door opens automatically and there is room to stand up and shelves on the walls to sort the parcels. Postal vans just have a flat floor and a back end that you had to bend over in. ( New generation postal vehicles will be better )
Anyways, this is the first time Ive seen one in my neighborhood. Anybody else? 🤔

https://www.motortrend.com/news/checking-in-on-the-rivian-amazon-edv-electric-van

4FF384A5-469E-45F9-BAB8-BE79FC656719.jpegD6612280-3283-4638-BA6D-D3C82AAEA4B7.png14A0CC41-BCD1-4934-AEEE-4B82DC9B5827.jpegAD43842C-FFD7-4EE1-AD93-EC78579ECC80.jpeg
43178B34-D9CF-4EE4-B6E5-ED05AC2EC302.jpeg

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't yet. There's a fulfillment center not far from here, so I suspect they're around me.

gggGary

Just call me squirrel brain
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Green Bay Ford dealer has HAD a couple E-transit vans in stock.
100 miles range, less in winter. Would be a TOTALLY unacceptable bike scrounging range...............

Last edited:

GLJ

Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly.
Top Contributor
Reaction score

GLJ

Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Not saying that Hydrogen is the answer. We may see a blend of electric for short run vehicles and hydrogen for longer distance vehicles. Plus good old gasoline for us old farts that have old toys that we like to play with.