Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Looks like it's more a "lack of training" issue. Found this.

"Al Thomas, department head of Collision Repair at Pennsylvania College of Technology, stresses that high voltage batteries (300 volts or more) can kill a technician who has not disarmed the high voltage system properly. "

"A technical tsunami is flooding the repair industry with cutting-edge vehicle advancements. If you’re not training on new technologies and materials, you’re falling behind."
I thought Al retired? I worked at Penn Tech for a period of time; ran the Ford Technical Outreach Center there. Hell of a collision repair program there. Al's an awesome guy!

Gotta green the grid.
1645192070399.png

https://www.morningbrew.com/emergin...ing_brew&mid=808d1e59330ce9908081bf128e3d48fb

Those wind farms are an eyesore. What happens when the wind isn’t blowing? You still have to maintain your coal fired plant or go dark periodically. Those wind farms also kill soaring birds 🦅
I agree with your first point but there is usually wind somewhere. Investment will be needed to provide storage for excess generation such as this or this

Don't remember where I read it, but there's a test going on somewhere... where they paint one blade a different color for better bird visibility.

Found it....

Bird deaths down 70 percent after painting wind turbine blades

The study ran for nine years at Norway's Smøla wind farm. Link.

Should I have been surprised that the condor didn’t receive the same kind of media attention as the spotted owl? Or, have I been living under a rock?

Thanks for the link!

Every problem has a solution... if you only look hard enough.

Those wind farms are an eyesore. What happens when the wind isn’t blowing? You still have to maintain your coal fired plant or go dark periodically.

I agree with your first point but there is usually wind somewhere. Investment will be needed to provide storage for excess generation such as this or this

This article got me thinking about where I live, here in Arizona. I did a little ten minute research.
We have three solar power tower solar farms here, including one of the worlds largest (Solana) which uses molten sodium to power steam generators. Some of these also have storage containers for the molten sodium that can power the generators for 6-10 hours after the sun goes down.
5F947A47-E9B0-436E-8AC4-B0B104EF1B16.jpegE91CD295-2685-4CAF-88C6-60EC76F70D5B.gifF1CC8284-44C7-4F7F-BDFF-6A1F685A024E.jpeg19A1FA43-4887-4A9F-BF49-D069892A67C4.jpeg

We also have two parabolic mirror farms , which heat sodium also, just in a different way.

524E872F-F821-4997-A3D3-5173E3DE2096.jpegADF87AD0-EE2E-469A-ADC3-B0B93B718392.jpeg

And we also have five huge photovoltaic farms.

69653C03-7671-48E9-98BB-A7E2EA96ECCB.jpeg

Arizona is fourth in the nation for solar produced power with 8% of all power produced coming from solar. 30% comes from nuclear generated at Palo Verde power plant, the rest comes mostly from hydroelectric and then a small mix of gas fired power plants, and geothermal. Because of our low population density ( outside of our two biggest metropolitan areas ) we have the 4th lowest per capita energy consumption in the country and we actually produce more electricity that we consume ( this surprised me). We export 25% of all power generated to nearby states.
And one more thing, we do have a number of electricity storage sites that used banks of huge lithium ion batteries. In fact I have one less than two miles from my house and it exploded a couple years ago due to a small short that caused a cascade event and the batteries overheated until they started a fire, which in turn caused an explosion.

Attachments

• 77A7AD1A-DDF5-4D76-89CD-01D2FCC60C27.jpeg
    77A7AD1A-DDF5-4D76-89CD-01D2FCC60C27.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 55454945-DB6E-4056-9974-46FBB346E675.jpeg
    55454945-DB6E-4056-9974-46FBB346E675.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
and particularly the California Condor
We don't get many California Condors around here. I'd like to know where, exactly, in New York State, they want to build these "offshore" wind turbines. Ten, twenty years ago (or so) they were talking about putting some up out in Lake Ontario, so far out you couldn't see them from shore. You shoulda heard the clamor! Project cancelled. Now, if you go to Cape Vincent (near the mouth of the Saint Lawrence River), and look across into Ontario, Canada, there are wind turbines everywhere, on shore! Yeah, the eye of the beholder. I think they're cool. Unless you want to freeze to death in the dark, you'll have to put practicality ahead of aesthetics. Wind. Hydro. Geo. Solar. Anything but fossil, if we are to survive as a species. Some say we're already past the tipping point. Pray for our kids, and their kids...

Those wind farms are an eyesore. ..........
And strip mines for coal are so pretty? Or the oil wells?
Those wind farms also kill soaring birds 🦅
Have to wonder about all the wild life affected by those strip mines and the run off from the sludge ponds from the coal plants leaching into the rivers and lakes?

Those wind farms are an eyesore. What happens when the wind isn’t blowing? You still have to maintain your coal fired plant or go dark periodically. Those wind farms also kill soaring birds 🦅

They're filled with oil. they have a 20 year projected life span during which they barely make enough energy to pay for themselves, a typical unit makes 1 MW of electricity under ideal conditions, a typical small 60 year old coal plant makes 500 MW all day long for most of the year, when decommissioned the composite blades are not recyclable get cut up and go into land fills

Back