Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Ever noticed when old people get together discussion generally turns to medical problems??? But if it makes us feel better, why the hell not! Unfortunately, after three ops on my hip: Replacement, bursa removal and tendon release x 2, I can't walk out of sight on a dark night. My big toe still hurts like hell and it doesn't touch the ground anymore. Ulna nerve transposition was to stop numbness it my fingers, it worked, but now my elbow is numb.

Had my right lung removed, but the cancer just won't give up. On my fourth go round now.

Elbows hurt like hell to do anything, can't even pick my nose anymore! But replacement is out of the question, replacement means I won't be able to lift anything heavier than a cup of coffee.

Spondylollysis, spondylolisthesis, spondylosis and spondylitis of the lumbar spine, herniated disks, sciatica, cervical spondylosis, shoulder problems and diabetes are the reason I was retired at 49, 22 years ago.

Cortisone injections helped my lumbar spine a little, but not my neck, so I stopped having the injections. Last was a few years ago, I had 18 in my cervical spine. It was a real pain in the neck!

Comes from living your life too enthusiastically I think. Had my time over, I'm silly enough to repeat all the silly things I did in my youth, it was a wild ride! Truth be told, I'm not over my silly days, I still do silly things with my body.

Geez, I really feel better now.

Comes from living your life too enthusiastically I think. Had my time over, I'm silly enough to repeat all the silly things I did in my youth, it was a wild ride! Truth be told, I'm not over my silly days, I still do silly things with my body.
Yeah... I've thought back over all the stupid stuff I did... and like you, I was career Air Force... so a lot of that weren't by choice... but given the choice to do it over, I'd more than likely do the same stupid all over again. So yeah... sometimes you really can't fix stupid. :laugh2:
I recently bear hugged a BSA Victor engine out of it's frame. I absolutely know that's beyond what my rotator cuff and knees are up to... but I did it anyway. Go figure....

given the choice to do it over, I'd more than likely do the same stupid all over again.

That’s funny, I’ve often thought back on things that I did in my youth that led to physical and health issues that I deal with now, and I’ve wondered if given the chance would I do things differently? I really don’t think I would. Whadya gonna do , tiptoe through life, wrapped in bubble wrap? :cautious:

I recently bear hugged a BSA Victor engine out of it's frame.

Yup, I'm hearin' you, Jim. How many other times have you, or anybody else, had a job to do, nobody around to help (so ya gotta do it yourself), and thought to yourself: "...awwww $#it... this is gonna hurt like hell tomorrow..." ?

Indeed. I also did a lot of nutty stuff as a young lad but yeah, I'd prolly do it all again, even I knew then what I know now.

Oddly, I'll bet that is a theme with most of the people on this forum.....:lmao:

Last edited:
1648991161671.png

Agree. Took the pills the day of the surgery and yesterday.... none so far today. Yeah, the pain sucks, but the disjointed half dazed feeling from the opioids is even worse. How anyone gets to be an addict is beyond me.... :shrug:
A lot of people take the drugs as prescribed bypassing the pain and eventually becoming addicted slowly
I believe a little pain fine it just tells you to take it easy rather than artificially playing through the pain and injuring your self further

I used to be an avid sailor and racer, had an campaigned a Beneteau 8m one design for 20 yrs before I realized I wasn't young or agile enough to do it right and sold it.
When you get out in a blow and a 26' monohull jumps from 7 knots to 12 knots under Spinnaker it's and incredible rush. Had a Nacra 5.2 cat for a few years and what a blast the trapeze out on a reach flying a hull.
The current design of hydro foil designs are incredible to reach 50 knots under wind power alone so I can appreciate "Green Energy" in it's most primal form.
And that's where I'll leave this

I too was an avid sailor. I did race land sailers for a while, that was a blast skimming across the ground at 80kph, only inches off the deck. Then I moved east and there was nowhere to race, so I resumed water sailing: Mirror, 470, Dennis and Tropic trailer sailers, then I discovered I preferred small canoe sailing: Hobie Adventure Island then I converted a 16' canadian for sailing. Did a lot of sailing in this one, wife up the front to shield me from all the splashing.

Most fun was the land sailing though, balancing on two wheels at 80kph, what a blast. Damn I miss those days. I did make a stand up sailer with four 12" wheels and windsurfer sail and sailed it in the local parks for a while, then my back went out, so that was the end of that foray! I have a picture of my land sailer somewhere, I'll have a look for it later. It was a K88, a local copy of a class IV.

And that's me, pretty in pink and black. The one in all pink was actually a girl. I won that race (top pic) by miles.

Attachments

• 99279131_2695234460736583_5841850748916203520_n.jpg
    99279131_2695234460736583_5841850748916203520_n.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20220408_0001 (3) (1).jpg
    IMG_20220408_0001 (3) (1).jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
A lot of people take the drugs as prescribed bypassing the pain and eventually becoming addicted slowly
I believe a little pain fine it just tells you to take it easy rather than artificially playing through the pain and injuring your self further

As a guy who attacked a concrete floor with my patella (knee cap) at age 13, I am pretty "familiar" with pain and the various treatments that people use. I would say that opiods work - but should be minimized. After living with nearly constant pain for 48 years, I got a knee replacement (Jan. 2019) and while the first 10 days-two weeks were not fun, I am nearly pain-free now and it is wonderful.

...but as I said for all of those 48 years, a little pain never hurt anyone....;)

Not an EV or battery tech, but I thought it interesting enough to put here....

Apparently they capture Co2... a greenhouse gas, and turn it into synthetic gasoline.
Doesn't say anything about projected cost that I noticed, but looks like Porsche is all in with $75 million in funding
Link.

1649634263406.png

2022 Zero FXE review on Daily Rider.

Back when I was commuting, and gas hit $4.00 per gallon , the first time, I had briefly considered a used 2013 Zero DS. Even used it was still a lot of money, but I figured what I would save on gas and zero maintenance would make up for it. At the time there was literally no dealerships around and no support for the bike. That and when I looked up owner reviews, there were some owners that experienced computer problems, that were difficult to diagnose and expensive to fix. The dealership issue has since changed, and I would hope that the bikes have become more reliable. I still think they would make brilliant commuter bikes, but I also still can’t get over that initial purchase price.
7600AE1E-68FA-4B98-AA8D-BB363ACE92BF.jpeg

Back when I was commuting, and gas hit $4.00 per gallon , the first time, I had briefly considered a used 2013 Zero DS. Even used it was still a lot of money, but I figured what I would save on gas and zero maintenance would make up for it. At the time there was literally no dealerships around and no support for the bike. That and when I looked up owner reviews, there were some owners that experienced computer problems, that were difficult to diagnose and expensive to fix. The dealership issue has since changed, and I would hope that the bikes have become more reliable. I still think they would make brilliant commuter bikes, but I also still can’t get over that initial purchase price.
View attachment 211713
Now if they could make a hybrid that would really jack up the price

Back