Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Volkswagen plans to spend $25 Billion per year for the next four years on EV technology in an effort to catch up with Tesla.

https://apple.news/A_FWGIzWERViQZQcfzA8cCQ

Volkswagen sold about 572,000 all-electric vehicles around the globe in 2022, up about 26% compared with 2021. That was enough to make the company the fourth largest EV seller on the planet.

Tesla (TSLA) sold 1.3 million EVs in 2022. China’s BYD (1211.Hong Kong) sold 911,140 all-electric vehicles in 2022. China’s SAIC sold roughly 674,000 EVs in 2022, but about 400,000 of those were mini-cars built with General Motors (GM).

B3E281B6-7692-4AEE-8A91-68B61C242AFE.png

Volkswagen plans to spend $25 Billion per year for the next four years on EV technology in an effort to catch up with Tesla.

https://apple.news/A_FWGIzWERViQZQcfzA8cCQ

Volkswagen sold about 572,000 all-electric vehicles around the globe in 2022, up about 26% compared with 2021. That was enough to make the company the fourth largest EV seller on the planet.

Tesla (TSLA) sold 1.3 million EVs in 2022. China’s BYD (1211.Hong Kong) sold 911,140 all-electric vehicles in 2022. China’s SAIC sold roughly 674,000 EVs in 2022, but about 400,000 of those were mini-cars built with General Motors (GM).

View attachment 237839
You might be interested in this;
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...general-motors-is-in-deep-trouble-211660.html

Grasping at straws?

Tesla has decided to walk away from millions of dollars in public funding for Superchargers in California due to a requirement to integrate a payment system.
Public money is flowing into electric vehicle charging infrastructure right now.
There’s the $7 billion from the federal government that is about to be distributed, but other grants are also being distributed at all levels of government.

Their reason for walking away?

Some programs require that charging stations have screens and credit card payment systems directly on the station in order to be eligible for funding.

Tesla always handled all Supercharger payments through its mobile app, which has enabled them to simplify the design of the Supercharger stalls and remove a potential failure point.

Tesla decided not to adapt for this specific incentive to gain federal funding.

Funny, last time I gassed up, there was a screen on the pump and a slot for credit cards. Seemed to work just fine for me. :er:

https://electrek.co/2023/03/14/tesl...ing-superchargers-payment-system-integration/

Getting the market leader to use a standard interface so all the other providers can leverage on your infrastructure is hard, but in the long run benefits the early leader too.

Can't imagine why all the info/handshake isn't just built into the plug/interface.
It could be, but why? That ties payment to a specific vehicle.
Borrow a buddies EV and want to "gas it up" before you return it? Can't... he gets charged.
Rentals? Loaners?

Fwiw, I like Tesla's idea of running it through a phone app. In fact, been sorta expecting that to crop up in standard gas pumps. I don't like the idea of that being the only way. Gimmie options and not lock me into one system that don't fit all....

Venmo, paypal friends and family? a zillion other payment apps.
refilling the battery built into the rental contract.
Owner (and factory) has lifetime re-charging record. And knows if his "buddy" is not telling the whole truth.
Your government would never want to look at those records, you're safe there.

A new from Ford Lightning Extended range 131kWh battery pack without labor is $35,960. With Ford’s estimated labor rate, you’re out the door price is $40,231
💰
💰
💰

Drive Electric says you can get a new from Ford standard range 98kWh battery pack, installation and all, for $32,086, assuming the labor rate and hours are about the same (since it’s just a larger battery,) the battery pack alone is $27,815.

1679319597126.png

with 155K on the Prius and seeing the ford battery prices above took a look around and a rebuilt with new cells battery for my car about $3K installed.
This Prius isn't really a hybrid just a gas car with an electric transmission/energy damper.

View attachment 238312
with 155K on the Prius and seeing the ford battery prices above took a look around and a rebuilt with new cells battery for my car about $3K installed.
This Prius isn't really a hybrid just a gas car with an electric transmission/energy damper.
I watched YouTube instructions on Prius battery replacement. You can do it. It didn’t look very challenging. He claimed total cost at $1K as I recall.

Anyone remember Honda‘s first gen hybrid ,the Insight?
97522950-F141-4E20-82E3-EE0897B3DF7B.jpeg
I went to a dealer to look at one when they first came out. They were a slick little car that was fun to drive, but no air conditioning which is a non starter in Arizona. Anyways the sales guy was showing me the battery pack , which I thought was interesting. Instead of one big chunk lithium ion brick, it was a whole bunch of cylindrical batteries wired together. He said the theory was if you had a cell failure you could replace one instead of the whole thing. :shrug:
FB1EEC1D-C9E7-43C8-9BF7-B873B9A14D58.jpeg0D10200E-4553-450A-B2BA-932DB2B28BCC.jpegF3932343-3572-4DF6-AE44-FF586CFA5B1D.jpegAD1D2307-B251-417A-B643-92B9F1A26772.jpeg

There is a forum for that car and they seem very passionate about it. I was surprised to find there are aftermarket companies making drop in replacements for them.
05CDDA1C-44BD-40DF-92F5-E13EA5381F2A.jpeg

Last edited:
I watched YouTube instructions on Prius battery replacement. You can do it. It didn’t look very challenging. He claimed total cost at $1K as I recall.
Sure I've got this...
iu

piece of cake.
Just looking, don't think I'm near "out of battery" for a good while yet.

I already knew that China was ahead of the curve regarding electric vehicles. This morning I did a little digging as to why. It was mostly things that I already suspected, in that the Chinese government is heavily involved with all aspects of EV development and deployment. They subsidize everything! The amount of money they throw at EV r+d , battery manufacturing, vehicle manufactures, charging stations etc. is staggering. They fund projects right down to local community level and they also subsidize purchase’s and regulate licensing, that is they limit the number of gas fueled vehicles that can be licensed in order to encourage EV sales.
0069307F-618F-493A-9A0A-57F9ED4CDA58.jpeg 294FFEBB-D316-4E43-A6EF-DBA720CD3A48.jpeg
99786264-09E3-4848-AC36-B22C521D4686.jpeg

I also had a hunch that one of the reasons that they were so successful at getting EV’s on the road is that they produce a lot of small affordable models. Make no mistake , they have luxury cars and SUV’s too, but the bulk of their sales are small cars for the masses.
436EC314-F242-41F0-B5F7-C299160D260C.jpeg8E737B36-8E9A-4575-A487-1C2722DE2DF7.jpeg

Pretty much dupes an old helicopter service, PanAm maybe, that did downtown Chicago to O'hare?

Working a guy over price on this bike.
https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d/wonewoc-sondors-rockstar-full/7590989520.html
Thinking the full suspension would make a it a good viable errand runner M/L 9 months of the year after some mods like fenders and removable saddlebags. Basically a 200 125cc motorcycle / town and trail bike writ electric, with some peddling thrown in.

Last edited:
Is that bike strictly peddle assist or can it go on throttle only?

SONDORS​

Mid-Drive​

SONDORS Mid-drive system, 750 Watts continuous power, 1152 Watts peak. Integrated 25 Amp controller. With the mid-drive motor, riding feels just like a non-motorized bike when pedaling because the system can completely freewheel.
The motor includes pedal assist sensors (PAS), allowing you to choose the power level of motor assistance that you would like while pedaling. At any time, you can use the throttle instead to engage the motor.

SSHHHHHHHH!!!!! don't tell the authorities!

Nice! This must be the same Sonders that went on to create the problematic Sonders electric motorcycle. I’ve read before they got their start with bicycles.

Back