Electronic Ignition for xs650

Yes, those are the ones. As you can see, they can be found dirt cheap. I'd be buying those if I didn't have a couple extra already. For me, the single coil thing is about cost. You only need to buy one, not two like for the original points set-up (or this Tytronic).
How do I install my new tytronic ignition with my single dual output coil

Howdy all, I recently picked up one of the Tytronics e-ignitions from their eBay page. I noticed that it seems to include a part that I haven’t seen in any of the posts here before. The instructions call it a “trigger.” Has anyone else ordered one of these new ones on here at all?

I’ve included some pictures below of the new instructions, new wiring diagram, and the new plate and trigger:

And before anyone asks, the quick connect on the e-ignition plate goes to the quick connect on the “trigger”.

IMG_4554.png
IMG_4555.jpeg
IMG_4558.jpeg

First I've seen with the trigger, please report back on how it works for you.
"It must work with ignition coil over 4 ohms"....
You will be right at or slightly below 4 ohms on stock coils.
Note the caution on not having the tyronic +12 tapped off near the coil +12 red wire

I recently bought the unit you have. Worked for a very short time. For some dumb reason I bought another. Didn't work at all. I got a free replacement for the second one. Holding it to try it on a different bike in the future. I went back to points on the bike I had the problems with.

First I've seen with the trigger, please report back on how it works for you.
"It must work with ignition coil over 4 ohms"....
You will be right at or slightly below 4 ohms on stock coils.
Note the caution on not having the tyronic +12 tapped off near the coil +12 red wire
I haven’t had the time yet to install it or check resistance, but I’m guessing the coils are original, as in 1979. Likely not as good as they once were. If they aren’t quite 4.0 should I be too concerned? I know the old versions of this kit said 3.0 so I’m guessing the new piece raised it enough that they were having issues with 3 ohms.

I know in BillyIcons video he said he’s using a line direct from his ignition since it’s a custom wiring harness. I think I saw before that you ran the 12 volt to a bullet connector in the headlight bucket? Was that just a left over from a project or should I expect to find one in bucket as well?

You might need to add a bullet in the bucket.
Also my guess, they added the module (switched transisters?) cuz the pickups couldn't handle the amperage.

Back