ELECTRONIC IGNITION HELP

T Rex NZ

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone in the process of waiting for my XS2 to be shipped out from your country to New Zealand I bought a whole heap of new parts from Mikes XS.
one of the items they sold me was a XS-charge XS650 Gen-11 standard electronic ignition.
my question is what do I need to buy to make this system work to it's potential ie type of leads and caps, coils ( they said I need 2.2 ohm coils but they are out of stock grrr but I can use 3.0 ohm ) do I need to update anything else to make a better reliable spark ?

any help appreciated, I do live on the other side of theworld so replying is slow sorry the time difference :)

I would fit the unit you have bought to the existing ignition system and see how runs before buying more parts. 3 Ohm coils will work no problem. These old bikes dont need overly fancy ignitions to run well. I will send you a PM.

Artic XS the last time I checked Pazon did not make a specific ignition for the XS 650 also I have seen Pazon ignitions give trouble on classic race outfits. I would not use one.

I would fit the unit you have bought to the existing ignition system and see how runs before buying more parts. 3 Ohm coils will work no problem. These old bikes dont need overly fancy ignitions to run well. I will send you a PM.
So when you say fit to the existing ignition system I take it that the points plate and points comes off but the advance unit stays in place?
Thanks for the reply im not doing it up as a garage queen but a tidy reliable rider for my senior years that seams to be close lol

Thank you for the info, a previous mk1 unit i bought from Mike's XS was very touchy in where it would start and run in its mounted position, that was fitted to a XS1 I rebuilt to show condition

Pazon are a NZ based ignition manufacturer. The owner used to work for Boyer but moved to NZ to start on his own.
The last time I looked at their website.they pretty much only made ignitions for British bikes.

Mp08 coil is used on a lot of Honda twins and 4's. Chinese repops are on amazon and ebay.
Single coil with dual outputs.

Most electronic ignitions for twins use one coil with two plug wires (dual output). Both plug wires get fired at the same time. One spark gets used, the other is called a "waste" spark. If your motor hasn't been rephased, both pistons rise and fall together, but the cylinders aren't on the same stroke. When one is at TDC on the compression stroke and ready to fire, the other is at TDC on it's exhaust stroke. The spark it receives will be wasted, hence the name "waste" spark.

As with just about any aftermarket coil or one from some other bike, you'll need to make some custom mounting brackets. The Honda MP08 is nice and compact so you should have no issues fitting it in where the original coils were.

SdpM7gj.jpg

Ha5hCtr.jpg

Most electronic ignitions for twins use one coil with two plug wires (dual output). Both plug wires get fired at the same time. One spark gets used, the other is called a "waste" spark. If your motor hasn't been rephased, both pistons rise and fall together, but the cylinders aren't on the same stroke. When one is at TDC on the compression stroke and ready to fire, the other is at TDC on it's exhaust stroke. The spark it receives will be wasted, hence the name "waste" spark.

As with just about any aftermarket coil or one from some other bike, you'll need to make some custom mounting brackets. The Honda MP08 is nice and compact so you should have no issues fitting it in where the original coils were.

SdpM7gj.jpg

Ha5hCtr.jpg
Hey thanks for the information and photos that helps a lot cheers.

I switched to the MP08 coil this weekend. Made a little bracket out of some flat bar to mount the coil which didn't take too long. Also got new non-resistor plug wires, NGK non-resistor caps and NGK BPR7ES plugs. Went on a 50 mile ride and the bike runs noticeably better. I was starting to get some hesitation on acceleration and idle was getting rough. Now it fires right up with the electric start and no choke.
Quite a few years ago I had replaced the original coil with a coil from Mike's. I think I read on here somewhere "Never mistake fuel problems for ignition problems" and since MP08 coils are pretty cheap and available I figured it was time for another upgrade all around. Besides, swapping a coil is about 10,000 times easier than pulling those gd carbs off and cleaning them.........again.

I switched to the MP08 coil this weekend. Made a little bracket out of some flat bar to mount the coil which didn't take too long. Also got new non-resistor plug wires, NGK non-resistor caps and NGK BPR7ES plugs. Went on a 50 mile ride and the bike runs noticeably better. I was starting to get some hesitation on acceleration and idle was getting rough. Now it fires right up with the electric start and no choke.
Quite a few years ago I had replaced the original coil with a coil from Mike's. I think I read on here somewhere "Never mistake fuel problems for ignition problems" and since MP08 coils are pretty cheap and available I figured it was time for another upgrade all around. Besides, swapping a coil is about 10,000 times easier than pulling those gd carbs off and cleaning them.........again.
I just got 2 MP08 used coils for like $31 and am just waiting on non resistor plug wires and caps to get here

Back