Electronic Ignition Problem

Update:

So after running through all of the tests and determining that my coil was working, my wiring was right, and the ignition itself was getting the power/ground it needed to operate properly, I contacted MikesXS.

After I explained everything to them that I explained here and also gave them the results of all of the tests I did, they asked for a picture of the ignition plate with the rotor removed. I sent them the picture and they immediately got back to me and stated that they are shipping out a new plate for me today and that they believe there is an issue with one of the components on the plate. Being curious, I asked what they think the issue might be and they stated that they believe there is an issue with the temperature capacity of a transistor on the plate. I'm assuming they've had a few others contact them with the same type of scenerio I had and they've narrowed it down to this issue on some of the ignition units. So they're replacing my ignition plate with a new one that has the upgraded component(s).

I have to say, I know some people have had unpleasant dealings with Mike's in the past and it gets voiced on here once in a while, but since I've been buying parts from them I honestly have nothing but good things to say. They've always been helpful if I have questions. They've stood by their products with me. And they're always prompt to respond to emails which is something I judge a company on. I think it's just as important to us a community to share with each other the good experiences we are having currently with our parts suppliers as it is the bad experiences so that we make the right decisions in the current market when buying our parts.

Anyhow, thanks for all the help again guys. I'll report back when I get the new ignition plate, install it, and try to get the bike running again. Hopefully this new plate ends up being the answer.

Last edited:
Well, I got the new ignition today. Installed it and she fired right up. Thanks again for helping me troubleshoot this so I had something to go to mikesxs with so they could determine it was an issue with the ignition itself.

Same thing has happened to me twice, I ordered it an installed it all right. Same thing it ran perfect and then cut off. So I contacted mikes and they sent a replacement, no issues. So I went on a 9 month deployment and came back, of course I wanted to ride so I changed the oil and did everything to prep. While it was warming up it died again. Now no spark. So I can confirm that the plates have a serious problem. I’m about to just go through the board and find what part keeps failing and try to get a better quality replacement

Welp looks like I’m fixing it myself, mikes won’t do anything to help which I guess is understandable. I’ll post what I figure out

Hmmm...I haven’t had any problems with mine since they sent me the replacement with the new resistor. I would just double check and make sure your wiring is good and that nothing is shorting out the ignition.

I have had a similar problem with an electronic trigger, when I complained to the manufacturer they asked if I was using copper cored HT leads, when I answered “Yes “ they said I should not have used copper HT as it has a detrimental effect on the microU.
They did send me one FOC as I argued that the instructions never stated this on the packaging, although it was on their website.
Partially my fault I suppose.

Back