Elephants foot valve adjuster comparison Porsche VW Mikes

I had a round tuit once. Got distracted and forgot where I put it. Hey I don't have Alzheimer's, but at least I don't have Alzheimer's!

The Elephant Foot and Kedo adjusters piqued my interest and following a link, I found this about the Kedos, which possibly explains why I can't find any Kedos offered for sale right now. Wrecked engines raise negative feelings in their owners, as we have seen from buyers of the MikeXS version.
http://sr500forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7254&sid=d25082f3f2e338d6d4e7d37fdfddd8e6&start=20
I might spring for a set of the VW ones, when I'm taking the top off to fix the front guide. The Porsche ones would be nice, but too much coin on top of everything else needing done this year.

Well, I hope it's OK to use that SR500 poster's pic of the failed Kedo adjuster.

24yd2x4.jpg

What I can infer from the postings, is this may be from 9,000+ rpms.
Looking at the SR500 rocker, I'm curious as to what rotation angles they experience.
Going out on a limb here, I'm thinking they're significantly more that our XS650 rocker rotation angles of +/- 6°, and this failure may be attributed to excessive side loading in the ball's cup...

I've been using the Empi adjusters for a few years now. No problems. I don't race the engine, but do"B" road trips of 200+ mi. on WE and local trips week days when the SG is up and I'm not doing some wrenching oh her..

It will be a while before the KEDO adjusters get installed so no update on them for a few weeks at the soonest. Still on the fence over whether to change cam and springs or keep stock cam. Wondering what to expect from the 3mm overbore 706cc Cruisinimage pistons alone. Changing several things at once can blur the evaluation of the components.........But if not done now while I'm at it then may never do it!

Installed my Kedo adjusters about 1-1/2 years ago. All fine so far.

KedoAdjLExh.jpg

Setting valve lash on these is tricky. Difficult to get a feeler gauge under the ball flat-end, it wants to stick to the valve stem end.

The adjuster screws have a 1mm pitch, which works out to 9° of rotation for each 0.001" of clearance. So, I adjust lash by backing out from a seated position by a number of degrees.

30° gives about 0.003" lash.
45° gives about 0.005" lash.
60° gives about 0.007" lash.
90° gives about 0.010" lash.
...etc....

Last edited:
Installed my Kedo adjusters about 1-1/2 years ago. All fine so far.

View attachment 205336

Setting valve lash on these is tricky. Difficult to get a feeler gauge under the ball flat-end, it wants to stick to the valve stem end.

The adjuster screws have a 1mm pitch, which works out to 9° of rotation for each 0.001" of clearance. So, I adjust lash by backing out from a seated position by a number of degrees.

30° gives about 0.003" lash.
45° gives about 0.005" lash.
60° gives about 0.007" lash.
90° gives about 0.010" lash.
...etc....
Update? Was it still the Kedo's when we rode?

Update? Was it still the Kedo's when we rode?

Hey, gggGary!
Yessir, you and Allison were ridin' the gadget-encrusted testbed,
and helpin' to break in them squealing Vesrah shoes.

Gadgets:
Kedo valve adjusters (workin' fine)
Hi-Volume oil pump, oil pressure gauges
Modified clutch worm, Aluminum clutch pushrod
Experimental clutch
Digital gear indicator
Gas cap gauge
LED ignition timing light
Rotor anti-kickback diode
Aluminum steering damper knob
Volt-Temp-Time display module, keyless ignition
Automotive H6024 headlamp
Persnickety Solex carburation

There was a lot more stuff I wanted to show/share, but,
I'm easily distracted, and, you know,
So many toys,
So little time...

I've been using adjusters sold as "XS Performance" (or close to that) that I saw on ebay. They're very hard, little wear at all after some years.

Before that I had been using Volkswagen Beetle adjusters, which coincidentally or by design are the same size and fit perfectly. But the ones I got were inferior metal and wore fairly quickly. Real German VW adjusters would be übereinsteller.

I appreciate this is an old thread but I’m considering this modification problem is I’m using quite high lift cam with 0.440'' lift , I have a feeling I’ve read that’s too much? What’s the maximum lift these can used with?

Daniel.

Last edited:
Back