Emissions Placard

furies4

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1979 XS650 Special that I bought with Iowa title, when I went to register it at AAA in southern California, they said it was missing the federal emissions placard and could not be registered. It has the VIN stamped on the frame neck and Federal Safety placard on the frame neck that states it meets federal safety standards at the time of manufacture and has the engine serial number on it. Does anyone know where the emissions placard is or what it looks like?

So I took my 79 XS650 to the local DMV expecting the worse, well they only checked the VIN and engine number, which wasn't even on the old title, and did not even ask about the Federal Safety Placard or an Emissions placard and gave me my California registration and license plate. Either the AAA is going by the letter of the law or they are completely wrong. I don't plan on going back to AAA to complain though just in case they were right and they contact the DMV and screw up my paperwork.

What I was conveying was they didn't have placards on the 79 Yamaha. If it is good enough for the DMV it should be good enough for AAA. I think the Feds didn't start the Emissions till the 80 models. Not from sunny California I from the east side we get swamp gas it blows in from New Jersey. :D You guys started the emissions laws. UCLA when the smog blows a way. :thumbsup:

Back