Engine change-Now Serial Number does not match

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Should changing an engine out effect the selling price of a XS1B? I had a rolling frame and added another 71 engine. Of course the serial numbers will not match.

Thanks.
Bill

IMHO, it depends. If you're selling it as an "original survivor" then yes, it'll have significant impact.

If you're selling it as a rider, not so much. Just be sure to disclose the fact that it's not the original engine.

I would say just like in anything for many people the more original the better the price. But for a guy like me I would not pay more for a bike with matching numbers, I'm more interested in the condition at the time of the purchase.

Like DE says, be sure to let buyer know the numbers don't match. That prevents problems down the road.

Then again if the buyer was really concerned about matching numbers he would check them within the first couple seconds he was looking at the bike! Buyer would also probably have that as his first question if he was traveling over a couple miles to see it!

To the original question, "will it affect the price?", I agree with DE and kshansen in principle, but it is really a function of the buyer (and obviously the overall condition of the bike). If it is a concours, collectors or original survivor that is in good condition, that has appeal and value to the buyer seeking that originality. To the buyer seeking a functional machine is in good riding and aesthetic condition, I don't think the engine serial number matching the chassis number adds any value. I am among the latter.

I have a 71 with two 71 motors the original motor has a cracked head fin (have the piece) the other motor in the frame has all good fins. At some point the original motor will go in that frame.
especially with a remote sale disclosure of discrepancies is important.
Agree with others; on modified bikes trackers cafes, etc. NBD, on restorations or survivors yes numbers matter.

In the context of what you do Bill, yes it makes a difference. You "restore" them then ask for top dollar on Ebay. Not knocking you here... just stating what I've observed. You ask 5-8k for your bikes. Nobody spends that for a "daily rider".... it's an investment in a restored bike.
If the numbers don't match, you can't legitimately call it a restoration, as it's not restored back to original condition. It needs to be devalued accordingly.... call it a well built daily rider... whatever that brings.

In the context of what you do Bill, yes it makes a difference. You "restore" them then ask for top dollar on Ebay. Not knocking you here... just stating what I've observed. You ask 5-8k for your bikes. Nobody spends that for a "daily rider".... it's an investment in a restored bike.
If the numbers don't match, you can't legitimately call it a restoration, as it's not restored back to original condition. It needs to be devalued accordingly.... call it a well built daily rider... whatever that brings.
I have stopped calling my bikes as restored and call them rebuilt.
Thanks everyone.
Bill

This is a most interesting thread because mine is a 79 with what seems to be an 81 motor. One of the gurus on this site pointed out that 79's did not have an oil sight glass. I had no idea. So I got under it and checked. And sure enough, the frame numbers and the motor numbers do not match.

It does not matter because I found this bike in a pasture doing scare crow work. I "refurbished" it to be a dang good fun to ride motorbike. Nothing more.

It's not even a good base for a perfect restoration. To a buyer this would be a "well built daily rider" and would never command the money an "original restored" XS would bring.

So to the OP, work on it, ride it, enjoy it, have fun with it... and then sell it for what it is. A cool bike.

1670286769225.png

Will transfering the title be a issue
I just know here in MN they ALWAYS ask for pictures of the frame and engine numbers
I doubt they wouldn't title it but what kind of hoops would a person need to jump through

Just curious, is the original case around somewhere in any condition?

Wisco could care less about engine numbers, even for bonded titles. :shrug:
I had to go to a neighboring city once because one of the photos the bike had an expired license plate
The next place minus the picture with the expired plate and I was good to go

This is a most interesting thread because mine is a 79 with what seems to be an 81 motor. One of the gurus on this site pointed out that 79's did not have an oil sight glass. I had no idea. So I got under it and checked. And sure enough, the frame numbers and the motor numbers do not match.

It does not matter because I found this bike in a pasture doing scare crow work. I "refurbished" it to be a dang good fun to ride motorbike. Nothing more.

It's not even a good base for a perfect restoration. To a buyer this would be a "well built daily rider" and would never command the money an "original restored" XS would bring.

So to the OP, work on it, ride it, enjoy it, have fun with it... and then sell it for what it is. A cool bike.

View attachment 231438
For most XS650 bikes, I really don't think it matters. I think collectors are few and it's generally XS1 through TX650 (1970 to 1973). I think most of us do stuff with them in the garage then ride them. They aren't exactly valuable. Mostly just to us.

IMG_1122.JPG

Original engine baby!!! :poke:

Back